aaa Tell me about your laptop setup. - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Tell me about your laptop setup.

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 30-Nov-04  @  02:48 AM   -   Tell me about your laptop setup.

Optofonik (AKA_Mick_Rhyze_etc.)

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I want to know everything.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/24             06-Dec-04  @  08:29 PM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

milan

Link?: Link

lol... thasts even worse than agent mulder saying: "help me solve the mystery of the horney beast"!

i bet you could write a cheeky song arount that tho  

Message 12/24             12-Dec-04  @  07:59 PM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

Optofonik (AKA_Mick_Rhyze_etc.)

LOL Psy. I meant that figuratively. I wish I were true - especially the "manwhore" part. I am going back to ATL for the Holiday, though. How about cross-continental manwhore?

Message 13/24             01-Feb-05  @  06:40 PM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

The Moujik

Marc_D - notice from the SOS forums you got the Novatech in the end... I'm looking at their centrino lappies & wondered what your initial impressions were in terms of build quality, service etc??

Message 14/24             07-Feb-05  @  08:39 AM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

dARKSTATe

Moujik,

Sorry I didn't post earlier mate, only just saw this thread updated...

I went with the AMD64, as in terms of sheer grunt it was a bit of a beast and *very* attractively priced for what I got (15" 1400x1080x32 display, 1GB Ram, 80GB hdd, wireless, firewire & usb2, DVDRW etc.). Built quality is solid if not exceptional but then I'd kind of expect that.. Its not the quietest of lappy's when running from mains power although it is virtually silent when runnning from batteries (when the AMD Powernow throttles down the CPU). During use, it gets quite warm but again that's not a problem for me..

Basically its definitely a desktop replacement, for live work on stage its fantastic and therefore the noise, size and battery concerns that would probably be better addressed by buying a Centrino based lappy, aren't an issue here...

I would *assume* the Centrinos you're looking at will also be of a similar high standard/lowish price point..   But if you want to be thorough, try and find out the who made the actual "carcass" of the laptop that Novatech are rebadging..

I called Novatech Tech support and weedled this info out of them to discover mine was built from a Mitac 8355 carcass.. I then called mitac Uk and hassled for more info etc.. and also searched the interweb too! I was left a lot happier once I'd read some positive reviews of these mitacs..

Hope this helps mate

Marc_Dark

Message 15/24             07-Feb-05  @  09:12 PM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

The Moujik

Cheers Marc - that's really helpful.

Looking forward to seeing you guys live

Message 16/24             08-Feb-05  @  11:38 AM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

dARKSTATe

Thanks mate!

The rehearsals are coming along really well... Still plenty more to do, but we're
setting some realistic (we hope) deadlines!

So far the laptop has been rock solid. Still have to sort out a better
gigging/stage mounting for it (just for security's sake) but other than that...

Rockon!

Message 17/24             08-Feb-05  @  12:32 PM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

k

i must say, they are very tempting, a good lappy must be so useful and convenient

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 18/24             08-Feb-05  @  01:59 PM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

dARKSTATe

Definitely! There is an ease of use and convenience I must say...

And its nice having a LOT of power in a machine that's still smaller and more portable (IMHO) than a microatx & tft solution

:D

Message 19/24             08-Feb-05  @  11:10 PM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

k

yeah... i'd love to be a laptop dj.. just sit in the corner and play shit

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 20/24             09-Feb-05  @  01:48 PM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

k

btw, if you use it live do u use a power conditioner. There was some discussion about using power conditioners for live guitar rigs featuring any dsp devices for reliability.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)