aaa AWE64GOLD vs MALIBU64 vs HOMESTUDIO PRO64 ??? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: AWE64GOLD vs MALIBU64 vs HOMESTUDIO PRO64 ???

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/19             01-Jul-98  @  02:24 AM   -   AWE64GOLD vs MALIBU64 vs HOMESTUDIO PRO64 ???

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Considering my budget I narrowed down my choices to these three cards

They seem to give lots of bang for the bucks but are they good ? If so which one is the best.

I need a card that has decent recording capability and a good dance-oriented synth engine.

Any suggestions are welcome.......

Dal

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/19             01-Jul-98  @  09:34 PM   -   RE: AWE64GOLD vs MALIBU64 vs HOMESTUDIO PRO64 ???

Clemens.Kurtz

Hi!

Donīt take the AWE 64 ! No real Duplex-Mode !!

Malibu 64 isnīt bad but I would prefere the
Maxi-Sound. Why?

Well, the PRO has digital I/O, stable drivers, easy
to install, GM and GS kompatibility, a very good FX-Module, and it sound very good (basses are impressive, drums with enough punch).

Ciao

Clemens

Message 3/19             02-Jul-98  @  10:00 PM   -   RE: AWE64GOLD vs MALIBU64 vs HOMESTUDIO PRO64 ???

Ok, so what about homestudio pro vs turtle beach fiji with the I/O ? Which one is better ?

Dalibor

Message 4/19             03-Jul-98  @  05:09 PM   -   RE: AWE64GOLD vs MALIBU64 vs HOMESTUDIO PRO64 ???

Clemens.Kurtz

Well, have a look at the sites www.guillemot.com and
www.tbeach.com to find the data sheet of each card.

I use a guillemot PRO and its good enough for me.

Ciao

Clemens

Message 5/19             04-Jul-98  @  09:32 AM   -   RE: AWE64GOLD vs MALIBU64 vs HOMESTUDIO PRO64 ???

uwepryka.xg

I agree with Clemens. I think the Maxi is the best choice so far. The only thing that makes me think about the Terratec card for a while is the Waldorf Mircrowave PC. But PC card stuff for about 2000,00 DM? Not really a good solution, I think.. Maybe it's less expensive in your country to buy the Maxi Homestudio 2 and the S/PDIF card seperate. I did it in my country and it saves 150,00 DM.

Message 6/19             05-Jul-98  @  08:02 PM   -   RE: AWE64GOLD vs MALIBU64 vs HOMESTUDIO PRO64 ???

zebro45

WHAT ABOUT THESE CARDS : GADGET LABS WAVE 4. MULTI WAVE PRO. LAYLA. SKED ANALOG88. ADVARK HAS ANY ONE CHEKED THESE
OUT THEY SEEM TO BE BETTER SPECS THAN AWE MALIBU AND PRO64

Message 7/19             05-Jul-98  @  10:34 PM   -   RE: AWE64GOLD vs MALIBU64 vs HOMESTUDIO PRO64 ???

I was about to order the Homestudio pro when I came upon an article on the following website:

http://www.gamecenter.com/Hardware/Roundup/Sound/ss02cd.html

It talks about some new cards coming out soon (how soon I don't know and how much they will cost I don't know either) such as yamaha waveforce 256 and the soundblaster live. Check out the site and see the specs.... Is it worth waiting for them or should I go ahead and order maxisound homestudio pro ?

Dal

Message 8/19             06-Jul-98  @  09:11 AM   -   RE: AWE64GOLD vs MALIBU64 vs HOMESTUDIO PRO64 ???

Clemens.Kurtz

Hi!

Well, thats the trouble with all the PC related stuff...

you see something interesting and you decide to buy....
... but three weeks later thereīs another new device with "so much better" performance, and "really noooooo trouble" with installation, drivers and so on.

Hey, itīs yours to decide what and when to buy. I donīt know, when you want to start making your first music with your PC, but what I can tell you is:

the Maxi-Soundcard is really reliable, no installation problems, sounds great and is no "beta" hard & software device.

I use this card now over half a year and I really donīt regret the deal.

... ups, Iīm no salesman of Guillemot... shit... they should give me some money for advertising.... :-))

Ciao and good luck

Clemens

Message 9/19             06-Jul-98  @  09:43 AM   -   RE: AWE64GOLD vs MALIBU64 vs HOMESTUDIO PRO64 ???

Clemens

Hey, Mr. Nobody....

I went to this site, you suggested, and the only interesting thing Iīve found out there was:

Creative Labs is talking shit (they always talk sooooo much and the hardware they produce so fucking, take for example the AWE64, with "real" full duplex and 64 voices polyphonie.... hey, they take the piss out of you...
NO real full duplex, 64 voice polyphonie with this fucking piece of Wave-Synth.....

... I do lots of help and workshops for musicians, who wants to start with sequencing and recording (synth, PC, harddidskrec. ...) and thereīs really so much trouble with the AWE64...

I think, the AWE32 was better......

and.... what did I find out there at the same page
(http://www.gamecenter.com/Hardware/Roundup/Sound/ss02cd.html ).... they do recommend the Maxi-Card Home-Studio as winner....

hey man, you should take some time to read websites :-))

Hereīs the comment of Gamecenter about the Guillemot Maxi:

Guillemot's MaxiSound Home Studio Pro 64 takes the prize for being the
most powerful, most versatile, and most expandable card in this
roundup. The HSP64 was the only card whose synth could be expanded
(from 64 to 96 voices) with a snap-on module. It was the only ISA card
with a DSP powerful enough to accelerate DirectSound3D. Its 4MB of
onboard sample RAM can be expanded to 20MB (DLS, anyone?). It
supports up to four speakers. It boasts S/PDIF input and output. The
HSP64's feature list goes on and on, but most importantly, this card
sounds absolutely gorgeous. And it offloads all sound processing from
the CPU, so it doesn't drag down system performance even though it's
on the ISA bus.

So long and Ciao again

Clemens

Message 10/19             06-Jul-98  @  10:03 PM   -   RE: AWE64GOLD vs MALIBU64 vs HOMESTUDIO PRO64 ???

Hey, This is Mr Nobody !

BTW. I read the entire page and I am aware of their survey and of their choice of the maxisound
but this was a review of the currently made cards. I was talking about the stuff in development.

On the same page I also saw the following:

The WaveForce 256 looks to be targeted at professional musicians. It
will feature a 128-voice hardware wavetable synth, supplemented by the
same 128-voice software synth to provide 256 voices in all. Instead of
2MB waveform library stored in system memory, the model 256 will
feature a whopping 8MB of samples in ROM, in addition to support for
DLS.

An S/PDIF output (but no input) will supplement the typical mic input
and stereo line-level input and outputs, and there will be a MIDI/game
port as well. The extra features drive the price of the WaveForce 256 up
to $199.99; but remember, that's what the AWE64 Gold sells for now,
and the Yamaha synth offers twice as many wavetable hardware voices
and eight times more wavetable sample ROM. Both of Yamaha's new
cards are expected to ship in May.

Now, wouldn't you rather pick this card over the maxisound if it comes out soon and is priced at $199 ?

Ciao,

Mr. Nobody

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)