aaa Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/22             20-Jul-98  @  12:27 AM   -   Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

J.

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I read a quote from an article that stood in "Elektronik Världen", a swedish hifi/electronics consumer mag. They'd tested a buncha soundcards and the conclusion was the following (whereas C-labs concerned): the soundblaster vibra actually outperfoms the goldcard. The signal-to.noise of the vibra was tested at ca. 80 db. whilst the gold at ca. 74db. And the vibra had also much better linearity. (I think that the vibra is c-labs less expenisive card, dunno but that though...). Thought you ought to know.

Anyways, my advice is buy a cheaper card (vibra, daytona etc.) or save up to an event (a.o.) card something; don't go for the in-between coz you'll probably end up regretting it. My 2 cents for u.

J.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/22             20-Jul-98  @  03:39 AM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

Astroman

Right on. I just picked up a turtle beach Montego. This thing is unbelievabe.... I swear there is no noise AT ALL... like a 95db s/n... I can crank the gain on my soundcard and mixer and stereo all the way up and still here NO hiss at all... its unbelievable... and the sound is great. it set me back less than $100... and there's even a wavetable header I can attach my db50xg to. Like J said... dont waste your money on some piece of shit awe64.... get one of these inexpensive Turtle Beach cards... just my 2 cents....

Message 3/22             20-Jul-98  @  10:51 AM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

kilo

yeah...... same with my old TB tahiti.... loud & proud...... great sound....

Message 4/22             20-Jul-98  @  12:06 PM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

Mike

Yeh, but I had a TB Daytona and it was a noisy as hell. Totally unuseable for audio.

I'm back with a Yamaha OPL3 SAx which is great (and v. cheap (20 quid))and a lot better than my Tascam 244 4 track.

Message 5/22             20-Jul-98  @  01:18 PM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

jet

I had TB Fiji. And I wasn't happy with it at all. Firstly it took me almost 2 days to install it and then about one month later it crashed and damaged my monitor. Got my money back for the soundcard but had to replace monitor at my expence.

Message 6/22             20-Jul-98  @  03:54 PM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

Tintin Oppenheimer

Yeah too right, twink once, twink twice, twink 'downt bwuy it'.

Message 7/22             21-Jul-98  @  04:54 AM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

Astroman

Jet... how did a soundcard ruin your monitor? Really, Im curious... cause I cant for the life of me figure out how that could happen. I could see how a video adaptor could... if it pushed out a refresh rate incompatable with your monitor. But a soundcard? That's odd.

Message 8/22             21-Jul-98  @  04:09 PM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

kilo

yeah... weirdly on loads of machines i never once ever had a problem installing any sound card... i cant figure it out when people say it took 2 days etc..... also... maybe alot of these noisey soundcard systems claims come from being too close to the video card in the slots... household interference... bad earthing etc... cos again.. i never heard a soundcard... not even a SB16 that was too noisey to use.... weird..... cant figure it out.... i mean all systems pump out noise.... and when i hear it, i think...well, you wanna go into a fully pro 48 track and listen to the noise when the faders are pushed up...... there is no such thing as a noiseless system..... no matter what you spend.... i'm not criticising here, but it does seem weird...

Message 9/22             22-Jul-98  @  11:29 AM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

Fingers

I get some disk access noise when I record audio waves from my line out to dat...its maybe poor power supply regulation or something...dont know...I should really do all those things you suggested for screening etc...Im a lazy bastard tho...

Message 10/22             23-Jul-98  @  11:20 AM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

jet

Astroman, Fiji was plain' some loops but then suddenly loud distortioned noise came out of one channel I turned off the monitor later I tried to turn it on again but nothing happened checked the fuse (I had powered monitors) - it was allright so I just had to throw it into rubbish bin as nobody was able to repair it

Kilo, OK it didn't take me 2 WHOLE days to install Fiji. I mean for 2 days I was coming back home from work and was messing with my computer tryin' to set everything properly. The main problem of Fiji was that it refused to install properly via P'nP procedure with another soundcard already installed (cheap ESS). So I turned off P'n'P and tried to install Fiji manually it didn't work. At last I installed Fiji but had to remove another soundcard.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)