aaa the portishead track "mystrieons" snare rolls - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

30-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: the portishead track "mystrieons" snare rolls

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/23             12-Jun-00  @  12:58 PM   -   the portishead track

thomas

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I recently got in to producing some kind of downbeat/trip-hop music.

The song I am currently working on is needing some of the military march type snare rolls that can be found on the portishead song "mysterions". I have tried to recreate the beat but it only sounds stiff and wrong. The snare rolls get to static and it sounds more like 10 snares playing very fast then one snare roll. I usually dont have any problems doing the beats I want but this one just sounds wrong. Please help me.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/23             12-Jun-00  @  04:20 PM   -   RE: the portishead track

ModAsBlue

Link?: Link

I don't have an answer but...

EXCELLENT QUESTION!

I have toyed with this for a while and I have not been able to do it...maybe you just need a real drummer or a good sample for stuff like that...I'm sure it can be done, though. You probably just need a few different samples from the same drum with varying velocities (instead of just varying the velocity of one, static sample) and some great quantizing work.

Message 3/23             13-Jun-00  @  12:41 AM   -   RE: the portishead track

damballah

Link?:  Link

Think about the physics of what's going on with a snare drum during a roll and it starts to make sense why a shitload of individual hits strung together doesn't sound the same. You're probably gonna need to sample one. If you wanna program one, keep in mind that the velocity is very much different from what you'd want on an individual, punchy snare hit. The drummer never developes that kind of stick velocity. You also lose a lot of the individual attacks. Maybe program it so when they're played legato, you're not retriggering the attack portion of the amp envelope. Also the snares themselves never settle down, so you get that rising rattle separate from what's going on at the top head. Good luck.

Message 4/23             13-Jun-00  @  05:12 AM   -   RE: the portishead track

Jasper

I managed to program a nice loose snare pattern recently, took me a bloody age pulling and pushing the notes about and playing with the velocities until it sounded nice.. I'll post it up if I remember tommorow.

works well as a groove template for sequencers as well.

Message 5/23             13-Jun-00  @  08:14 AM   -   RE: the portishead track

swanofnever

i've found that no amount of programming can beat a sampled roll... so i'd advise finding one. then again, i might just suck.

Message 6/23             14-Jun-00  @  07:35 AM   -   RE: the portishead track

Jasper

yeah but you can pull rythm templates from drumloops in logic... great feature.

Message 7/23             15-Jun-00  @  05:13 PM   -   RE: the portishead track

pimilk

Jasper, what the heck are rythm templates and how do I get to it in logic?

Message 8/23             16-Jun-00  @  02:14 PM   -   RE: the portishead track

tjader

could someone explain groove tenplate 4 me.(with some examples if i do that..then blah blah)

Message 9/23             16-Jun-00  @  05:12 PM   -   RE: the portishead track

Rhea

Link?:  Link

That's why I love the MPC. The note repeat botton in combinatuion with the velocity sensitive pads make it much easier to program rolls and fills in general

Message 10/23             16-Jun-00  @  05:31 PM   -   RE: the portishead track

pimilk

What IS the MPC ?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)