aaa Which drum machine for trance ?? - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Which drum machine for trance ??

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/20             19-Jul-00  @  02:57 PM   -   Which drum machine for trance ??

G.

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm looking to buy a new drum machine. Specially one that can handle nice trance snare sounds and claps. I'm not after the standard 909 shit. It has to be one that has a lot of control over the sound. Some say get a Jomox and others a Korg Electribe. I'm looking for some good advice. All help is welcome.

G.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/20             19-Jul-00  @  04:04 PM   -   RE: Which drum machine for trance ??

Frostbyte

get the Xbase 09, 909 & 808 and just about anything in between.

Message 3/20             19-Jul-00  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: Which drum machine for trance ??

F.

and beyond  

Message 4/20             19-Jul-00  @  05:19 PM   -   RE: Which drum machine for trance ??

G.

Hey Frostbyte, got any info on the Airbase99 ??

G.

Message 5/20             20-Jul-00  @  02:34 PM   -   RE: Which drum machine for trance ??

Frostbyte

well, the airbase is an expander, so you'll need a sequencer to trig it. If you're already experienced and comfortable with one, get the airbase (more polyphony). If you're just starting, or plan gigging, the xbase (easy "in your face" tweakability) will be great. Hope that helps.

Message 6/20             21-Jul-00  @  05:15 AM   -   RE: Which drum machine for trance ??

k

well, i'd have to say first choice'd be a sampler... always. nothwithstanding the same comment that it wont sequence for you as the sequencer part of a drum machine will.. but the sounds and potential library available are huge

Message 7/20             21-Jul-00  @  04:32 PM   -   RE: Which drum machine for trance ??

Frostbyte

Tought I would be dissident here for a minute   Of course the sampler is a good choice, but the sheer playing pleasure of the xbase is not to be overlooked.
not to mention it's menuless and you can play with it in total darkness without hurting your eyes. I guess it depends what you really want to do, and I can sort that out for anyone, sorry.

chase the light, yeah!

Message 8/20             21-Jul-00  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: Which drum machine for trance ??

Chris...

What's the Polyphony of the Xbase? Heard it was 3 voices, ouch! Is that true?

Message 9/20             21-Jul-00  @  06:08 PM   -   RE: Which drum machine for trance ??

Frostbyte

Kick Snare Hi-Hat, yup, that's about it  

Message 10/20             23-Jul-00  @  05:09 PM   -   RE: Which drum machine for trance ??

G.

Sorry guys for the late response, but I was a drum machine hunting ;-) Don't flame me guy's but I ended up buying a Electribe ER-1. You might ask, why in hell did he do that ?? I was lucky to be able to use a Xbase from a guy I know who's on holiday, so I really had the time to check out the machine. My impression is that it's more of a 909 clone. It does have a fat sound, but I couldn't get a decent snare out of it. I couldn't get that 909 "plop" out of the snare (the snare sound you hear in all the drum rolls). Which I did manage in the ER-1. Plus it had a lot more to offer. With the ER-1, I could make a lot more unique drum sounds and it didn't always remind me of a 909, which the Xbase did. I might add that it's also a matter of taste and I don't want to start a flame war over it. I want to thank you all for your help and advice.

G.

Pages: 1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)