aaa Getting a groove - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Getting a groove

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/21             20-Jul-00  @  09:12 AM   -   Getting a groove

Gee

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

A good groove is still eluding me, I think its because what I`m trying to do requires alot more skill.
How should a beginner approach making a Groove, the basics of the basics......I`m desperate to make an amazing groove that loops forever without me getting an impulse to smash the monitors, uh , lets not get carried away,......

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/21             20-Jul-00  @  09:45 AM   -   RE: Getting a groove

Jasper

how long have you been doing this? the reason I'm asking is because you can't expect to be able to bang out groove after groove after groove right from the start.. It takes years.. you have to know about a lot more than just what sounds to use and where to put em.

Try this simple but effective idea.. I'm presuming your doing 4 floor stuff here btw.

sort out a snare sound and copy it.. have the copy playing backwards.. now make a pattern with the normal snare.. copy the pattern to the reverse snare and then mess about with where to trigger the reverse ones.. also mess with volume levels of the reverse ones.. hopefully something will click and you might hear something worthwhile..but I aint saying you will right? you've got to experiment and try anything.. also expect defeat because it aint as easy as it sounds.

Message 3/21             20-Jul-00  @  09:56 AM   -   RE: Getting a groove

Jasper

what stuff are you using btw.. it'd help us help you if you can explain a bit about what sort of sound you are after.

Message 4/21             20-Jul-00  @  12:53 PM   -   RE: Getting a groove

k

learn to play drums, hand drums that is.. take some evening classes.. all styles you can find from samba to african to whatever latin etc... then it'll all come together... i firmly beleive if you can neither dance well or play hand drums you might as well give up, cos that is the basis of every groove in dance...

Message 5/21             20-Jul-00  @  10:29 PM   -   RE: Getting a groove

gs

i was going to say, learn to play drums as k would suggest, but u beat me to it. right on the money i reckon, u got to have rhthym before u can do anything really. go buy a crappy set of bongos or something, their fun anyway :-)

Message 6/21             20-Jul-00  @  11:14 PM   -   RE: Getting a groove

jojo the dog faced ....

i find that you inevatbly end up trying to play the drums anyway, or you just find yourself tappin out rythmns with your pen just trying to get it...
listen to cool stuff, muck around and it might make sense,
at least thats what i've gathered

Message 7/21             20-Jul-00  @  11:20 PM   -   RE: Getting a groove

jojo the dog faced ....

i find that you inevatbly end up trying to play the drums anyway, or you just find yourself tappin out rythmns with your pen just trying to get it...
listen to cool stuff, muck around and it might make sense,
at least thats what i've gathered

Message 8/21             21-Jul-00  @  06:39 AM   -   RE: Getting a groove

Jasper

Anyone ever hear of midi triggers that you can fix to bongo's ??

I could do with some.

Message 9/21             22-Jul-00  @  08:10 AM   -   RE: Getting a groove

Gee

Thanks, guess I`ll start some evening classes in african drumming, I can dance , so I still have hope,
I`m into techno, hard house,progressive house,techno trance, minimal techno, those wicked question awnser grooves, ....ya`know,
Jaspe you need to get yourself a midi drum pad, which you hook up to your sampler, and you can trigger any sound you want via midi when you strike the drumpad with a drum stick, if I inderstand you correctly....

Message 10/21             23-Jul-00  @  11:16 PM   -   RE: Getting a groove

gs

Link?: Link

dunno about triggers for a bongo, wouldn't triggers designed for a tom or something work? i dunno bugger all about it.

how about this thing percussion pad thing (see link). i want one.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)