aaa Amen - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Amen

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             15-Aug-00  @  09:21 PM   -   Amen

imrald

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

This has probably been discussed and talked about to death, but I'm tired and don't feel like digging thru all the old messages. How do I make an Amen-like break? I've been trying to figgure this out for about 4 months now and haven't gotten too far. It's been driving me nuts and I keep hearing it, or a variation. I hope that the Amen break is what I'm after(thats what its called in Tuareg). Am I thinking to hard and just hearing the cymbal come thru or what? One of my best shots at it is below. As you can tell it sounds like crap. Can anybody help?

*Kik 2 is a kik of a diferent pitch
**Variation: Kiks replaced w/ snares, snare w/ open HH, ride w/ closed HH.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             16-Aug-00  @  04:08 AM   -   RE: Amen

syn

this has been discussed and broken down about a month or two in this very forum i believe, or maybe that was the funky drummer loop, i dunno, anyways there is a program floating arount called amen beta1 or something that is really great (recycle stole the idea from this software im sure) that breaks apart loops and comes with the amen loop and its all graphical and does a damn fine job of splitting it up, i used it on a long vocal sample and got some weird results once, try that out anyways
laterz
Syn

Message 3/12             16-Aug-00  @  10:13 AM   -   RE: Amen

swanofnever

yeah, for a quick/fun/easy fix try to find cuteBreaks or leafBreaks, both shareware progs that'll let you chop up a beat... i've found that the actual drum sounds are almost more important than the pattern... and you need those hihat/light-snare hits (you know, tk-ka)... check out:
http://www.phatdrumloops.com
for basically a lifetime's worth of WICKED breaks... and then start chopping...

Message 4/12             16-Aug-00  @  10:38 PM   -   RE: Amen

Imrald

Can anybody tell me where I can find this amen program? I looked in the Files section but didn't find anything. Thanks

Message 5/12             17-Aug-00  @  03:49 PM   -   RE: Amen

Roshi

Check out www.sonicspot.com - they've got a bunch of links to sample cutters and arrangers. Xrazor was a pretty cool one that let you cut and rearrange in the same program.

Ted

Message 6/12             18-Aug-00  @  01:49 AM   -   RE: Amen

Syn

man! how could i have forgotten this, go get wave surgeion NOW!!!! from the sonic spot website has it,
it rules, this is the only shareware program that i have ever considered paying for

Message 7/12             18-Aug-00  @  08:58 PM   -   RE: Amen

Imrald

Hallelujah!

I d/l'ed that Amen program and spent and hour and a half listening to it and I finally figgured out the rythem. It still sounds alittle choppy but I am happy. Notes: Use a "rolly" snare, IE one you would use to create a military or marching band roll with; set shuffle about 1/3; compress it. The rythem is below for any other rythmically challenged people.

Message 8/12             18-Aug-00  @  11:11 PM   -   RE: Amen

Syn

that proggie was worth the download if it taught u sometheing huh? Im still in the experemental stages, and have been for the past year or two heh so some of my beats still sound like sh*t but I still try thats y i love programs like this so much because its easier to break apart the groves that make u bounce and see what u are missing in your own
laterz

Message 9/12             25-Aug-00  @  09:17 AM   -   RE: Amen

atombomb

I'm going to have my drummer perform his own version of the amen break. I have all the microphones and recording equipment to get a good phat sound and I think it will be useful. I'll let you know when I have it. Maybe it will be an interesting variation on the original.

d

Message 10/12             25-Aug-00  @  11:49 AM   -   RE: Amen

nobody

Link?:  Link

yeah if ya do try & keep it at full 44.1 or 48 khz please   and i'd definitely like some free drums to chop, especially if you do it like so, sir.

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)