aaa pc build for graphics? - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: pc build for graphics?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             16-Oct-02  @  03:38 PM   -   pc build for graphics?

bedwyr

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi all.

A mate wants me to build him a pc for graphics use. He wants to run autocad and 3dmax and something called cass mx. So what should i look out for, fast processor, memory and graphics card? and skimp on everything else? (he's getting a flat screen btw)

Anyone know about graphics cards for 3d work? Do they need to be like the games things? Any help appreciated, of course. Then, armed with my dangerous knowledge i'll go and trawl through some sites. (any good sites for this would be handy too)

Thanks.

4 hours to 'til the match, i'm a little excited, i must say.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             16-Oct-02  @  04:46 PM   -   RE: pc build for graphics?

Breakerbox

fuck i wrote a shitload of stuff but accidentally clicked clear..fuuuuuuuck
ok.. shorter version....
3d graphics is like audio, its about crunching numbers, so basicly its same as an audio pc accept the vided card.. you can put a crappy sound card on a graphics pc(use the one that comes with the motherboard)..
the highend gaming video cards will do fine, stay away from old pro cras like quaddro2 or fire gl (old ones) stay away from 3d labs period, get a new radeon pro 9700 ( ithink) if you can afford, or get a geforce 4 (NOT geforce 4 MX )...
Get at least 512 ram, a gig if you (or he) can afford, you dont need the fastest cpu(its way expensive for couple mhz), but fast is good, if you are going to get a pentium 4 make sure its the one with 533mhz frontsidebus, not 400 (anything under 1.8ghz is 400, but they have 2ghz ones at 400, it should tell it on the add, or listing that its 533mhz)... you dont want blindingly fast but stable system... AMD xp+ series are just fine too (make sure you get the 266mhz fsb)...
here is a really good article at :

http://www.anandtech.com/

its called "buyers guide: Value Professional 3D - October 2002" at the front page. They have more buyers guide for high end 3d, gaming, etc.

so this helps, no?

Message 3/11             16-Oct-02  @  04:51 PM     Edit: 16-Oct-02  |  04:51 PM   -   RE: pc build for graphics?

Breakerbox

link^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Message 4/11             16-Oct-02  @  05:02 PM   -   RE: pc build for graphics?

bedwyr

yes, very good, thanks. money is an issue so amd it is. is there a faster fsb? 333? shall i bother with that? and what's the memory thing now, i mean, what's the best bet for speed/price?

Message 5/11             16-Oct-02  @  05:41 PM   -   RE: pc build for graphics?

psylichon

I had a 333 board. It was fast, but not truly stable at stock speed. I was using it with a stick of Samsung PC2700 memory. They have faster stuff now, but stick with Samsung... they're good for memory.

Now I have said stick in a 266 board and it's quite fast and VERY stable. I hear they're going 400 MHz soon, but I haven't looked into a timetable.

I would get a gig of memory. BIG hard drive. And if you have money left over you may want to look into a dual processor board (Tiger MP for example) and go with one Athlon MP for now with the option to add another later. Surely CAD software can take advantage of SMP?

psylichon

Message 6/11             16-Oct-02  @  05:43 PM   -   RE: pc build for graphics?

psyli-flux

Is this really the right forum for this?  

psylichon

Message 7/11             16-Oct-02  @  06:42 PM   -   RE: pc build for graphics?

Breakerbox

yeah... get a brand name ram.. like mushkin, corsair, samsung, etc... If you can hold on wait after xmas, bunch of new stuff is about to come (amd opteron) and the new 400 mhz amd xps are coming out.... if you want to go amd way... intel seems like just going to increase cpu speed for a bit.. price are kinda on hold now, after xmas you can get the stuff cheaper i think.

Message 8/11             16-Oct-02  @  09:58 PM   -   RE: pc build for graphics?

Scott Digweed

Link?:  No link

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet... alot of 3D AutoCAD-type programs are intended to run with a motherboard and graphics card that support the AGP Pro chipset. Those are professional level graphics cards, so I don't know the names off-hand.

You might also want to look into the system requirements for that mx cass program.

Scott

Message 9/11             16-Oct-02  @  10:07 PM   -   RE: pc build for graphics?

influx

"Is this really the right forum for this?

psylichon
"

yes. I say its ok, so it IS

Message 10/11             16-Oct-02  @  10:15 PM   -   RE: pc build for graphics?

psylichon

alright, i'm out of the forum enforcement business then. I just don't get it

:}

psylichon

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)