aaa bin tryin' softs again to no avail! - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: bin tryin' softs again to no avail!

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/28             05-Nov-02  @  11:42 PM     Edit: 05-Nov-02  |  11:46 PM   -   bin tryin' softs again to no avail!

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've been trying to get soft synths working on my pc again, but they just hate working. Some of you will remember my dilemma with distorting soft synths. Well I tried tackling the problem again and it just isn't happening. So I thought maybe you guys would have some fresh ideas.

I have been getting frustrated with not being able to run soft synths, especially as xoxos is creating so many damned programs that look quite tasty. I tried running xoxos' Kerei (must thank you again for sending me that prog mate!), ES2, ES1 and Absynth but they all start sounding horribly distorted after 10 minutes of use. Even after I restart, delete the page-file, re-install, etc, etc.

So, any ideas???

FYI, here's my setup:

Gigabyte GA-7DXR running:
AMD761 Chipset;
AMD T-Bird 1.4Ghz;
512MB Generic DDR RAM;
40GB Fujitsu MPG3409AH ATA100;
40GB IBM Deskstar ATA100;
MT4 MIDI I/F;
Audiowerk8 MIDI I/F;
Matrox G550 Graphics;
Win2K;
Logic 5.3 (upgrade from 4.0)

Regards.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/28             06-Nov-02  @  11:48 AM   -   RE: bin tryin' softs again to no avail!

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

The Audiowerk8 is a nice, but old card... Recently had to help a mate upgrade out of it cos of old driver/latency issues, were making life hell for him (pops'n'clicks) - dunno if this is related to your "distortion" issue though...

The rest of your build looks fine..

Marc_D

Message 3/28             06-Nov-02  @  12:24 PM   -   RE: bin tryin' softs again to no avail!

Steve Roughley

Cheers for the help. You're right, it is an old card, but I haven't had any of it's well known troubles appearing on this setup. The thing is, the Audiowerk8 and Logic are designed to work well together, so I don't think that it could be causing problems with the Emagic instruments. But I'll look into it.

Thanks again!

Regards.

Steve.

Message 4/28             06-Nov-02  @  02:09 PM   -   RE: bin tryin' softs again to no avail!

dARKSTATe

Yeah, its got good EASI drivers for integration into logic..

Mebbe the card is just knackered plain and simple?? Sometimes the simplest fault is often the real one.. :-( Doesn't help you none, I know that...

Message 5/28             06-Nov-02  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: bin tryin' softs again to no avail!

Steve Roughley

I just tried my mates Delta 10/10 and the problem goes on. Tell ya what though, the Delta was a right pain in the arse to get working. I'm never buying one of those things!

Regards.

Steve.

Message 6/28             06-Nov-02  @  06:35 PM   -   RE: bin tryin' softs again to no avail!

influx

man....that is SO odd.

I wish I could help. youre sure you have the newest drivers for the soundcard, etc?

and what about the motherboard? newest drivers?

I know I know, fat lot of help I am!

Message 7/28             06-Nov-02  @  10:24 PM     Edit: 06-Nov-02  |  10:26 PM   -   RE: bin tryin' softs again to no avail!

Steve Roughley

Cheers for your advice 'flux. It's much appreciated, but I tried that a while ago. I have tried litteraly everything that I, and many others, can think of. You also helped me out with this prob at first. I suppose that I was kind of being hopeful in expecting some mighty PC overlord to come along and laugh, while stroking his long binary beard, and say "You silly little man! You should have done... da-ta-da-ta-da".

Oh well. I am forced into using Hardware. Some wouldn't complain. Maybe I should just shut up. But damn! Some of these softs look soooo nice!

Regards.

Steve.

Message 8/28             07-Nov-02  @  09:35 AM     Edit: 07-Nov-02  |  09:35 AM   -   RE: bin tryin' softs again to no avail!

dARKSTATe

Hmmm... (strokes beard thoughtfully..) ;-)

That'd be a mighty shame for you to have to forego the softsynths man.. I guess the last option is to try YOUR card and the Delta 1010 in another machine? And try a few other things like swapping the memory, gfx card etc.. At least then you might be able to determing more conclusively that where the fault is.. then mebbe you'll be in a position to decide whether a new box/fix/return etc. is an option if you wanna use the Software option..

Message 9/28             07-Nov-02  @  10:16 AM   -   RE: bin tryin' softs again to no avail!

psylichon

i know this sounds weird, but could you possibly upload a semi-high-quality sample of the distortion you're getting from your soft synths? You'd be surprised how telling distortion can be in problem solving. just an idea

psylichon

PS- thought #2- I've had time-based weirdness problems before, and they were all related to worn-out hardware: an overheated CPU, a failing power supply, and an overheated video card, in that order (so I've gotten quite good at recognizing these kinds of problems, unfortunately!) I know it's a pain in the ass to narrow it down. What you need is a supergeek. They have all sorts of parts to swap in and out of your system to narrow it down. If you don't have access to a SG, yer gonna have to plunk down some change to have it professionally analyzed for bad parts. That's if you wanna narrow it down to your drivers, which is probably what it comes down to. And since this 'PS' was longer than my post, I'll sign my name again:

psylichon

Message 10/28             07-Nov-02  @  10:49 AM   -   RE: bin tryin' softs again to no avail!

Si

Link?:  Link

This isn't a solution, but out of curiousity, does the distortion still happen when you have the graphical interfaces of all the soft synths closed down?

A while back I was getting something similar to you, except that I was using Cubase. After a few minutes, the audio would just distort, and I had to close Cubase and re-open it. I found that if I had the GUI's of the soft synths closed down, it didn't happen. Even now, if I've got Battery open (the GUI part of it - I can still use it as an instrument) I get a few pops and clicks, but when it's hidden, I get none!

I never really fixed the problem cos I got a new motherboard and soundcard, so the problems kind of went away.

Maybe give this a shot?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)