aaa the joys of XP... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: the joys of XP...

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             16-Dec-02  @  11:08 PM     Edit: 16-Dec-02  |  11:10 PM   -   the joys of XP...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

As I have stated in an earlier post, I have just upgraded to Windows XP and have found a few advantages that I will quickly point out for the benefit of others who are thinking of upgrading:

My Waves Plugins work absolutely fine. Whereas with Win2K the dodgy safety mechanisms of the Waves native gold bundle meant that I could not shut down Windows correctly.

Logic is infinitely more stable. It doesn't crash my PC anymore and I am now able to run Softsynths!!! I know this isn't a problem for other users but I was not able to run them on Win2K as the synths just started distorting.

When Logic does crash, my Audiowerk drivers still operate without rebooting. With Win2K, I would have to restart my machine so that the drivers could be found after a crash.

I have also found that XP is soooo much more tweakable and the performance and overall stability of my PC now feels to have drastically improved. Overall, my first impressions are very good indeed and with the new improvements in the system and the way XP handles drivers, I have to say that Microsoft may just have released their first real OS.

I hope this helps others who are thinking of upgrading OS.

Regards.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             17-Dec-02  @  04:06 AM   -   RE: the joys of XP...

psylichon

Link?: Link

I second. My computer became much more stable since going from 98 to XP. I can't say it's much faster (except for WDM drivers in Sonar vs. MME with 98), but you can tweak the UI so it's just as responsive as 98 (menu open delays to 0, turn off menu fading, etc). You can even make it look exactly like 98 (which I do because I hate that aqua bubble crap).

Most importantly, though occasionally a program will crash, I hardly ever reboot anymore. Sometimes I do it just for fun cause it's been like a week, but nearly nothing takes down XP as an OS. It's really great that way.

Plus I love the improved file-association handling, media viewers, and the ability to disable and enable pretty much any hardware without rebooting. Oh, and Ctrl-Alt-Delete is a whole 'nother beast in XP... much more useful, and it'll actually close a hung program (and tell you how fast your downloads are going)!

XP is a rock.

psy

Message 3/16             17-Dec-02  @  11:06 AM   -   RE: the joys of XP...

BJT

Hows the midi interface?

Message 4/16             17-Dec-02  @  02:04 PM   -   RE: the joys of XP...

99devils

Been tight for me so far.

-Craig

Message 5/16             17-Dec-02  @  03:33 PM     Edit: 17-Dec-02  |  03:34 PM   -   RE: the joys of XP...

Steve Roughley

Well... MIDI is MIDI and no amount of OS upgrades will improve its timing. WinXP has been as tight as any other OS as far as that goes. Although, I have had not trouble setting up my USB MT4 MIDI I/F on WinXP, but Win2K gave me a whole load of crap about rebooting then not finding the drivers etc., etc...

The main thing here is that WinXP installs everything brilliantly. No mess, no fuss.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 6/16             17-Dec-02  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: the joys of XP...

BJT

My Win98 box is woaful when it comes to Midi-timing. I program stuff on my RM1x seen. But when I play it, the computer sounds like a 3yo. I don't mind, except when recording I slow the BPM.

Message 7/16             17-Dec-02  @  06:33 PM   -   RE: the joys of XP...

99devils

Why don't you save the stuff to SMF on the RM1X then import into your sequencer?

Message 8/16             19-Dec-02  @  12:46 PM   -   RE: the joys of XP...

BJT

Sometimes I do, shoving a floopy disk between machines can be a pain. I really want to fix this midi thing so that I can mix using midi channels.

Message 9/16             19-Dec-02  @  05:41 PM   -   RE: the joys of XP...

Steve Roughley

Well, I can tell you know that my combination of the Emagic MT4 and Windows XP does NOT give me any major yo-yo effects (and... yes... I do know what you mean. It is like the MIDI timing doesn't lag but sounds completely random in its inaccuracies). All I have to do to get near spot-on timing is set the MIDI dely to -25 and I can barely tell the difference. And if you are using a USB MIDI device, then there is a damned good chance that XP will really help with your timing problem, as the USB drivers in XP have shown no faults to me yet. Unfortunately, though, there will be no true fix for the allmighty shiteness that is MIDI timing, but WinXP might just be what you are looking for.

Goddamn! I sound like a MS sales rep!!! ;-/

Regards.

Steve.

Message 10/16             20-Dec-02  @  12:29 PM   -   RE: the joys of XP...

Kazhul

Hum...
Gotta see 2 issues precised :
- is it XP pro or XP home you're talking about ?
- was it really compared to Win 2000 Pro ?

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)