aaa sound card advice please - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: sound card advice please

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             09-Feb-03  @  09:51 PM   -   sound card advice please

dan

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi

A friend told me to post here coz apparently you guys are in the know!

i'm looking to buy a SC, i use Reason and may venture into cubase.

I'm looking for low latency, something i can plug my decks into to sample

possibly plug in some live stuff like bass guitar etc,

upto £300 budget

using XP if that helps

Cheers in advance
DAN

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             11-Feb-03  @  03:10 AM   -   RE: sound card advice please

Thomas Laskowski

Link?:  Link

Have a look at staudio's dsp24 value.
I'm using it with windows xp, and with 2ms latency.
Within your budget too.

Tom

Message 3/12             11-Feb-03  @  01:46 PM   -   RE: sound card advice please

DAN

cheers man

You dont happen to have a link to the site do you?
Thanks

Message 4/12             11-Feb-03  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: sound card advice please

knowa

you know you can't sample INTO reason, right? I knew some people who were confused about that. I dunno about windows so good luck with the soundcard.

Message 5/12             11-Feb-03  @  04:53 PM   -   RE: sound card advice please

k

Link?: Link

there's a link - we also flog their stuff in our STORE (icon) or see the STUDIO (icon) front-page and load the company name from the list on the left 'Companies' column which'll bring up a load of their products.

If you go for the 'dsp2496 value' as suggested (good card) - make sure you also get the optional bracket with it - in our store this package is listed as something like 'dsp2406 value bundle' or something - you can buy the bracket seperately, but get it included cos it has the midi i/o connectors on it (as well as digital i/o)

I'm using the non-value version with XP meself. it'll go down to some ludicrous low latency, but i run it as 512/5ms which to my ears is 'realtime'

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/12             11-Feb-03  @  04:57 PM   -   RE: sound card advice please

k

btw - all the staudio cards listed at DANCETECH are listed unde the main company name of HOONTECH - 'st-audio' is just a name hoontech uses for it's 'posher' pro cards.... so look at the HOONTECH company listings

the bundle package including the midi i/o & digital i/o bracket is this one:

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/hardware/ITEM.CFM?threadid=2662&lang=0

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/12             11-Feb-03  @  04:57 PM   -   RE: sound card advice please

k

link live

Message 8/12             13-Feb-03  @  07:56 AM   -   RE: sound card advice please

mczyzynski

I use the DSP24 also, but with the 8 in/out analog interface, the card is low latency and great quality for the price, you should be able to pick one up withn your budget.

Message 9/12             13-Feb-03  @  10:59 AM   -   RE: sound card advice please

DAN

I currently have a SB live platinum with live drive, is it worth me upgrading to this new card? also, can i buy the 8 in/out analog interface? as an extra?
how much would it cost me?

Cheers for all the advise (must be alright if K is using it!)

Message 10/12             13-Feb-03  @  09:31 PM   -   RE: sound card advice please

Thomas Laskowski

Well,

If you're happy with soundblaster, then I dont see why you would need to buy a new card. Sb should be at least good enough for starting out.
Heck, I started with a piece of shit awe32 and its onboard wavetable synth. Haha, i still listen to stuff i made with it, and i like it.

It doesn't matter what you use, just make music man.

But, dont expect to get good latency with sb.
I used to have an sblive, but i had too much trouble with it. I would get sound dropouts when recording, and all sorts of other random crap. The midi ports on sb sucked too. So I got pissed off and bought dsp24 value. And the truth is you get what you pay for.

Tom

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)