aaa D-LINK DSL-504 router - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: D-LINK DSL-504 router

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             01-Jun-03  @  06:45 PM   -   D-LINK DSL-504 router

k

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

picked one up yesterday if any of you BT Openworld bobs fancy getting all your studio PC's online, it works great!

It's got 4 connections, and those can have hubs attached... so I've got two PC's in one room wired in direct, and the other machines on the network are wired into the LAN via a hub on an uplink... super dupa! - and it all works great with BT's SINGLE-USER cheap £29.99 p.m ADSL package heh heh - also it's speeded up connections for sure and even the LAN seems faster!

100 quid!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             01-Jun-03  @  07:16 PM   -   RE: D-LINK DSL-504 router

Influx

Link?: Link

shoulda just went wireless 

I got my wireless router for round $40 on ebay..>D-link too. works great!

and yeah...connection seemed quicker!

Message 3/13             02-Jun-03  @  02:37 PM   -   RE: D-LINK DSL-504 router

99devils

Yep, I'm running a wireless D-Link off of a cable modem connection. 22mbs and no hassles, and no cabling running all over the house  

-Craig

Message 4/13             02-Jun-03  @  06:57 PM   -   RE: D-LINK DSL-504 router

k

Link?:  No link

but how would all my PC's connect?

Message 5/13             02-Jun-03  @  08:19 PM   -   RE: D-LINK DSL-504 router

influx

Link?:  Link

the router serves as a hub. Mine does print sharing and allows all standard networking (access to other drives, etc)

Message 6/13             02-Jun-03  @  08:26 PM   -   RE: D-LINK DSL-504 router

99devils

Yeah, it's true that you do have to buy new network cards, so if you're already wired up and have nics for everything you're going to have to replace all that stuff. Like Influx says, there's the option of buying a hub that supports traditional wired connections (mine supports 4 10/100 connections). I bought wireless cards for my machines though, and I've got wireless in my work laptop and PDA so it's a pretty nice arrangement.

Being able to do minor repairs at work remotely from my PDA while lounging on the balcony sipping a drink is a nice bonus  

-Craig

Message 7/13             02-Jun-03  @  10:52 PM   -   RE: D-LINK DSL-504 router

beds

ok guys let me know. does wireless do 10/100 ? i got 2 puters linked with pci card things and a broadband router thing (i'm so tech savvy)

i still am a little bored transfering files over betweem the puters and this is appartently 100mb ? yeah?

fill me in, i'm dumb.  

Message 8/13             03-Jun-03  @  12:05 AM   -   RE: D-LINK DSL-504 router

influx

^^theres me^^

Message 9/13             03-Jun-03  @  07:03 AM   -   RE: D-LINK DSL-504 router

beds

aha. 22mbps. so thats kinda slow. i guess it's fine for web stuff, but i'd get bored quickly moving big files like that. no wires is nice though.

Message 10/13             04-Jun-03  @  07:23 PM   -   RE: D-LINK DSL-504 router

99devils

hold on bro.. first of all, 22mbs is twice as fast as 10baseT, which until a few years ago was what everybody was using. Secondly, you'll never get a full 100mbit of usage out of 100baseT, you'll only get close on the odd large file transfer. Your DSL or cable connection isn't anywhere near even 10 megabit so it's not going to have any impact on web surfing, in general.

I only notice a speed difference when I'm doing really bit file transfers, like Sonar bundles.

-Craig

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)