aaa about dedicated audio drives... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: about dedicated audio drives...

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/22             14-Jul-03  @  05:52 PM   -   about dedicated audio drives...

knowa

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

everyone seems to agree that it's best to have your apps on the main (C) drive and a second drive dedicated to audio files.

but will I get this performance gain if I use the internal hard drive as my back-up, and load/stream, samples and files from an external firewire drive? i.e. is it the PRESENCE of audio files on the system drive or thier USE that is not recommended?

thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/22             14-Jul-03  @  06:20 PM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

99devils

Link?: Link

Use. The idea is that if the OS and audio are on two seperate IDE channels, then the system can access both at the same time. If they're on seperate physical drives, you can lose your OS, fdisk and reformat, and not lose your audio.

I put cake bundles on the OS drive temporarily sometimes, before I burn 'em to DVD.

-Craig

Message 3/22             14-Jul-03  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

knowa

thanks a lot, craig.

recommendations for a quiet, 7200 rpm firewire drive using the oxford 911 chipset, anyone?

Message 4/22             14-Jul-03  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

Influx

I recommend cambridge, not oxford

Message 5/22             15-Jul-03  @  08:06 PM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

99devils

I have no recommendations for Firewire drives because I don't use 'em. Internal are cheaper and not very difficult to install, unless you've already got 4 drives in your system  

-Craig

Message 6/22             15-Jul-03  @  09:50 PM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

knowa

it's for a laptop. a brand new toshiba which I'm sooooooooooooo happy with. the only trouble with using windows is that I have to manually type ".aif" about 7,000 times. fast computers= woohoo.

Message 7/22             16-Jul-03  @  12:11 PM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

Normal

Link?:  No link

The Lacie ones seem pretty popular. Can't be more specific tho.

Message 8/22             16-Jul-03  @  01:46 PM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

99devils

Gotcha. Using a laptop is a good reason for Firewire too  

Message 9/22             16-Jul-03  @  02:01 PM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

psylichon

LaCie firewires are like tanks, awesome. Be wary of drives from any company that are powered by the port itself. They are generally way too slow for audio use.

The Lacie's with a fast drive in em can stream nearly 64 tracks though.

Message 10/22             17-Jul-03  @  01:37 AM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

digital rust

i have 2 lacies. awesome drives. no problems with them
for me.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)