aaa Hoonetch Value - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Hoonetch Value

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             28-Aug-03  @  11:36 AM   -   Hoonetch Value

Dingostema

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Got a Hoonie DSP Value a couple of months ago and all seemed great. First time of being able to play realtime was nice. But now, both my production partner and I (we both bought the cards) have noticed a few more pops and clicks than we were ever getting with our SBlive Plat cards. Also, we seem to be able to use less plugins now than before, before we get ASIO overloads, even when we make buffer changes. FYI we both did a clean XP install before adding the cards. Anyone else with this card seen this?

Dingo

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             28-Aug-03  @  11:40 AM   -   RE: Hoonetch Value

beds

jeez i'm having trouble today. too can't set buffers below 1024 without getting horrible crackle. only when recording audio though, vsti and stuff are fine. eek.

Message 3/12             28-Aug-03  @  12:13 PM   -   RE: Hoonetch Value

k

Link?:  No link

depends how much stress Logic's getting. The fact is sadly, that SX & VST are way more efficient than Logic. But sometimes it's not the drivers at all.

Yesterday we were doing a session, and had some pops all the time.. I thought "No!... we're not stressing the machine too much, how come.. etc"...

it turned out to be the CHORUS effect on the FX section of ALBINO which was playing a pad sound - oddly, as soon as we took the chorus OFF it worked fine.

Other times pops have been due to 'Too Fast' attack times on certain patches, or where notes have overlapped in pad-chord parts.. like one note doesnt end before the next (on the same note/key) starts.

Remember, your SBlive was operating at 750ms latency. All I know is, if I use SX or VST you can load it to the gills and never get an asio drop-out - Logic can drop-out even with the performance meter showing 60% even. But generaly pops & crackles which happen when Logic is NOT very stressed are not due to the card, but some plugin playing up. If however, it's cracking etc when running almost nothing, then somethings up.. But if it STARTED doing it all of a sudden then something has changed to make that happen most likely.

Personaly I'm thinking to swap to SX or SONAR... another reason being that SX & SONAR do all their rendering offline, whereas Logic requires that as it renders it plays back the audio in realtime thru the card which completely defeats the object of rendering !

the other thing is, when you first build a new pc everything is jiggy, but give it time to chock-up and the machine gets less efficient.

when I built this 2 ghz athlon, it ran a huge roster of fx & synths, now it's been working and the drives are getting fuller & more s/w has been installed, it's less efficient and runs less objects.

have you checked the SERVICE menu at http://www.staudio.com

??

there is many tips there.

Message 4/12             28-Aug-03  @  12:27 PM   -   RE: Hoonetch Value

k

jeepers!.. I just checked, and I've only 850mb free on C: (which is the cache drive)!! - so I gotta put in a new C: drive anyways, but there's one issue for my PC... the drive's getting chocka.

Message 5/12             28-Aug-03  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: Hoonetch Value

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

"jeepers" k???  

Message 6/12             29-Aug-03  @  11:31 AM   -   RE: Hoonetch Value

k

er..... well otherwise it would have been: F*ck me! - I was trying to be polite.

Message 7/12             29-Aug-03  @  11:47 AM   -   RE: Hoonetch Value

Dingostema

May well do a CPU and RAM upgrade soon me thinks. Also, within one particular logic project, all my overload probs stopped when I stopped trying to use the VSTi 'DSP Discovery' in realtime but the CPU meter is still well up there.

Dingo

Message 8/12             29-Aug-03  @  12:41 PM   -   RE: Hoonetch Value

beds

discovery is very hungry. try a newer version.

Message 9/12             29-Aug-03  @  12:56 PM   -   RE: Hoonetch Value

k

I forget Dingo - what is the power/spec of your PC?

It's athlon innit?

I tell you what, the athlon 2400 I built for a client 4 weeks ago is alot more powerful than my 2ghz machine

The 2400 runs at 2000mhz, the 2ghz I own runs at 1667mhz, also the 2400 has a higher bus speed

anyways it has alot more headroom.

I'm prolly going to upgrade my board chip & ram to a Barton capable board like his and sling in the same chip cos they are cheap right now

Message 10/12             29-Aug-03  @  02:57 PM   -   RE: Hoonetch Value

Dingostema

wtf is a Barton capable board?

my spec is biostar board, 1700 Athlon and 384meg DDR

Dingo

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)