aaa another "what soundcard for me" - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: another "what soundcard for me"

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/23             10-Nov-03  @  07:59 PM   -   another

queasy00

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

hey...

so i'm going through the old threads on "what soundcard for me"-type questions. i'm wondering if that information (dated at least 1/2 year ago) is still good info? I mean, because pc hardware seems to advance so quickly.

any advice? I want it primarily for recording. Anything else is a bonus.

-j

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/23             10-Nov-03  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: another

k

Link?: Link

budget? - how many i/o's required?.. want s/pdif?.. want midi i/o ?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/23             10-Nov-03  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: another

queasy00

insanley fast reply! thx   i shoulda gave more info...

budgest is probably around 500 cdn.. but i would REALLY want to keep that lower!

I reckon 1 stereo in is enough (i can just record each part at a time right? or is it better to record it all in one go using many ins?)

s/pdiff is for digital i/o right? My a5k doesn't have that expansion on it so i guess i don't need it.

midi, if it didn't cost too much extra, wouldn't be bad either. (i assume some cards have less latency?)

I should've added that this is for a pc.

-j

Message 4/23             10-Nov-03  @  08:17 PM   -   RE: another

queasy00

oh.. and one stereo out is probably enough too... if i ever use it for softsynths, i could just mix it internally and send that to my behringer

-j

Message 5/23             10-Nov-03  @  11:13 PM   -   RE: another

The Moujik

Link?:  No link

I'd still recommend the M-Audio Audiophile 2496, purely cos in all the time I've had it, theres been no problems. Maybe getting a bit old now (?) but the driver support is great... Seems to have what you want - stereo in & out (+ Spdif) on RCA connections, which bugs some people but I've never seen it as an issue.

Anwyay, just my opinion.

Message 6/23             11-Nov-03  @  12:42 AM   -   RE: another

Defector Z

My recommendation is to overbuy on the soundcard. You don't need digital i/o right now, but who's to say you won't need it next year as your kit list grows? Having more than one set of analog i/o's is handy. If you are recording an accoustic instrument and want to bypass your mixer entirely, it's nice to not have to plug/unplug. Plus, you can halve your recording time by being able to record from multiple ins at the same time.

Midi is a must if you have any outboard gear. Personally, I can't imagine writing music without a musical keyboard.

There are lots of options out there for under 500Canadian. That's what, $300US? Midiman has some options, hoontech makes a decent card, and I think you could get an Aardvard LX6 (I have this card) for around there. Not sure though.

Anyhow, I think you'll kick yourself for buying only what you need now. You don't want to have to buy another card in a couple of years because you underbought now.

Message 7/23             11-Nov-03  @  02:02 AM   -   RE: another

queasy00

rca!? what a pain.. so i have to get convertors to go to rca if i choose the ap? doesn't sound right...

about the overbuying: point taken.

i'll look around at the ones you mentioned (including the audiophile.. even tho that rca action does kinda bug me ;)).

thanks for the tips.

-j

Message 8/23             11-Nov-03  @  02:22 AM   -   RE: another

Defector Z

RCA isn't necessarily bad.

Message 9/23             11-Nov-03  @  03:08 AM   -   RE: another

influx

"bypass your mixer entirely, it's nice to not have to plug/unplug. "

its called a patchbay, bro.

;)

as for RCA...no need for a converter. there are 1/4" to RCA cables that work just fine. its the same thing, no signal loss, etc, but NOT balanced. Wont matter most likely in your sitch

as for inputs...do you plan to mix in the computer? and...need to record more than a few external parts? because you will find that if you write an entire song in MIDI, and then want to track all those parts from external gear, you will most likely wish you had extra inputs.

I still have quite a few old songs that Id like to re-do in the PC, but I just dont feel like goin through and recording each god damn track that used to be in external/midi form

the Audiophile is definitely a great basic card, no doubt

I use an RME digi96/8PST which can be found for $200 or less used. 1/4" analog IO, SPDIF IO, and ADAT IO...no midi tho...

Message 10/23             11-Nov-03  @  04:10 AM   -   RE: another

queasy00

hmm... ya, now that i think of it.. i guess rca's just another plug... i guess i was worried about dong the conversion but influx says you can get cables.

influx: yea, i plan to mix on computer. my plan was to record each part separately and then record that.. i guess more inputs would make that process a bit easier.. but i guess i just always thought one should do it one by one just to be careful...

i dunno... i'm obviously not informed heh. maybe i should do a bit of research on my recording process to pc first....

-j

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)