aaa I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!! - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             15-Dec-03  @  09:45 PM   -   I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

crisisrecordings

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm using a Yamaha 01v digital board.......I have an outboard analog eq that I sometimes run my drums through, but they still don't have the snap that I want.
My tunes sound clean but they don't sound like DnB records..... I have killer tunes that would tear but they don't sound good enough.... Do I need a different mixing desk?......Analog?.....What about compression and what freq. should I be eq-ing my bass at?...... My engineer went to school for mixing but we can't get it right......I just want my stuff to sound like UK DnB wax....Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.......Dj Fakt - CRISIS

crisisrecordings@yahoo.com

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             17-Dec-03  @  12:57 PM   -   RE: I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

Dominic

Yea, you can't overdrive the channels on a digital desk. Yes you need to group the drums and send them through a stereo compressor and EQing is important. Plus you need to be using a good sound source for your drums to start with. There is no point in trying to polish a turd. There is loads of stuff to do when it comes to producing. Plus mastering helps loads. If you can be more precise in where the problems are, I might be able to help you more.

Message 3/16             17-Dec-03  @  04:47 PM   -   RE: I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

milan

Link?: Link

you can actually overdrive stuff on all yamaha digital mixers via analog in's, since the gain stage is before the a/d conversion, just so you know.

Message 4/16             18-Dec-03  @  09:15 AM   -   RE: I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

Dominic

But Milan monitoring back the sound is post A/D convertors?

Message 5/16             18-Dec-03  @  09:34 AM     Edit: 18-Dec-03  |  10:29 AM   -   RE: I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

psylichon

he's saying if you overdrive your pre and bring down the channel fader pre-a/d so as not to clip the actual conversion, you will successfully record analog distortion without digital distortion. How it would sound with yamaha pres.... eh...

The question is, can you actually do this on "all yamaha digital mixers"... or does the pre feed right into the A/D? Is there an analog insert point? what about the EQ?

oh shit, a bit off topic... anyway, yeah, ya gotta be more specific about what ya need.

Message 6/16             18-Dec-03  @  12:20 PM   -   RE: I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

milan

nonono no no no... i was just saying that if you overdrive the mic/line inputs on yamaha mixer you'll get analog distortion, pre a/d conversion and everything else. how does it sound? so-so to be honest, not like a nice preamp or input of a lexicon fx unit (those work really for overdriving, especially cheaper models!), but still better than distorting mackie pre's which sounds like someone farting really.

Dominic... yeah, you wont have it if you go thru ADAT boart, you'd have to use analog in's.

i'm not really saying anything specific here or giving you a producing tip... just saying it can be done...

Message 7/16             18-Dec-03  @  09:01 PM   -   RE: I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

newtimecomplex

This isn't a gain structure question. Just looking for EQ and compression suggestions for drums groups and bass lines(under 75Hz) and standard overall compression for the stereo bus. Looking for some nice snap on the snares and warm b-lines! Thanks

Message 8/16             24-Dec-03  @  01:41 AM   -   RE: I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

crisisrecordings

I just want to know some freq.s for the bass and snare.......those are the two that usually frustrate me the most.......also, what about compression?......

Thanks Dj Fakt----CRISIS crisisrecordings@yahoo.com

Message 9/16             25-Dec-03  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

Dominic

Depends on the style of bass but a (very) rough guide would be to boost 80hz, cut 280-350hz, boost 800hz and cut 10-12k. On my snares (and claps) I cut 80hz, boost 250hz, boost 2.5-3k and cut 12K. You can be more precise on say a plug in eq but I'm using the eq's on my 32.8.8 mackie so that's why I give the regions above.

It also depends on the drum sounds you use cos some people say that if you get the right sound to start with all you should need to do is "cut" freq with the eq. The above is just "MY" experience.

Message 10/16             28-Dec-03  @  09:43 PM   -   RE: I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

crisisrecordings

ok......what about compression on sub basses?.....compression on stereo out?

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)