aaa midi latency - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

07-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: midi latency

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/17             17-Dec-03  @  03:34 PM   -   midi latency

RUTH

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I am having problems with my midi latency to keyboard.It appears to go out of time with my click track and i have every thing seemingly connected and setup properly.I dont Think its my keyboard or soundcard.When i reset devices it right's its self for a bit and then goes out of sync again i have aterratec sound card and a pretty fast computer

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             17-Dec-03  @  04:05 PM   -   RE: midi latency

sox

Link?:  Link

Check your metronome settings. This problem is usually caused by the metronome using the internal sound (i.e. Microsoft sound mapper) as it's reference. Change it and save the song as the new .def file.

sox

Message 3/17             21-Dec-03  @  06:06 PM   -   RE: midi latency

K

Link?:  No link

Can you play the FM7 synth in realtime from your keyboard? - WHICH Metronome are you using external, xpeaker internal of some sort?

Message 4/17             22-Dec-03  @  09:14 AM   -   RE: midi latency

k

also wondering what is your system pre-roll set to? - what driver is selected in the driver dialog setting also please... what is the latency setting... your PRE-ROLL should be set to the same as the latency which is displayed under the driver select drop-down menu

Message 5/17             22-Dec-03  @  11:35 AM   -   RE: midi latency

ruthstyles

Thanks to sox and k for the reply, in my first letter i was not very informative so this is a bit more in depth.The metronome i am using is the one on cubase vst 32 and i am using a audio click.If i play a simple bass drum beat along with the click, playing on every click note the first take seems ok,(this is once i have just switched cubase on) but if i try the same procudure again, the second beat gets pulled foreward and every thing goes out of sync giving a juddery effect at the beggining.i'm sure i have every thing set up in the audio system setup and have tried every permutation to do with the disc block buffer sizes and memory per channel.my sound card is a terratec 6 fire 24/96 and i have a athalon 2400cpu.If i go to reset devices it rights it self for approx 2 tales and then goes back out of sync. I hope this is a bit more informative than the first query.Could you also explain how to set my pre-roll latency.Many thanks Ruth.

Message 6/17             22-Dec-03  @  02:55 PM   -   RE: midi latency

k

first

IF it's a VIA chipset on the motherboard, have you applied the Via HYPERIO 4:1 driver set (available from VIA.com) ??

you MUST install this series of drivers.

2. BIOS plug & Play should be switched OFF if it's Win XP

3. which DRIVER is selected in the VST / SYSTEM driver dialog drop-down selector ?? (you didnt answer that)

4. you say - "The metronome i am using is the one on cubase vst 32 and i am using a audio click" - BUT, what is providing the audio sound of the click?... an external midi device? - an internal midi device (s/w drums?) ?? - or perhaps a GM sound?

5. IF a GM sound does this mean your ONBOARD AC97 audio codec is ACTIVE on the motherboard (see BIOS)... having ON-BOARD audio active can cause conflicts with an ADDED PCI audio-card (can, not always)

answer those first please.

Message 7/17             23-Dec-03  @  06:37 PM   -   RE: midi latency

ruthstyles

These are the answers that k requested.
1.I already have the hyperio4.1 driver set.
2.In the bios the plug and play is turned off.
3.The driver in the dialog selector is ASIO for DMX 6 fire 24//96.
4.The internal GM synth is providing the audio sound of the click.
5.My onboard AC97 audio codec is disabled in the bios.
The sync problem does not appear to be so bad since i turned off the plug and play but its unfortunatly still there.
Hopefully this will narrow things down for you and i am gratefull that you have persisted in helping me.
Looking foward to hearing what you next suggest.
From Ruth.

Message 8/17             23-Dec-03  @  10:14 PM   -   RE: midi latency

sox

Link?:  Link

"The internal GM synth is providing the audio sound of the click."

There's the problem there. Change the click output to the external keyboard and you should have it working. This is what I suggested you change earlier. You shouldn't use the internal sounds as the click. It will drift. Use the same source as your MIDI and they should be rock solid.

sox

Message 9/17             24-Dec-03  @  10:27 AM   -   RE: midi latency

ruthstyles

Sox how do i change my external ouput to keyboard. Is it through double clicking on the click on the transport bar and slecting a different output,i have tried this already on every output it offers and i get no click,only when i change to audio i can hear its annoying beep.Do i have to assign a output and how.Sorry to be asking such simple questions but i am very new to this and have no one to help me.If this is any help i have tried turning the metronome off and just using a percount and tapping my foot when it starts the bar and i can still hear it jumping foreward. Thanks again Ruth.

Message 10/17             24-Dec-03  @  02:07 PM     Edit: 24-Dec-03  |  02:10 PM   -   RE: midi latency

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

Jus' jumping in here, but isn't there a dedicated metronome setup window under one of the menu items in Cubase (can't remember which menu it is off the top of my head, sorry..)

Anyway, once in there you can setup things like metronome output etc.etc. worth taking a look I guess..

Also, have you tried testing your midi performance with any apps other than cubase.. for example downloading a demo of something like Orion etc. and trying recording with that? You can get a free demo HERE ... I know it'll involve a little more effort to download, install and learn the basics to get midi recording working, but it might help for reasons I'll explain below..  

The reason I'm wondering is that a friend of mine is experiencing a similar problem and I'm starting to suspect there may be a problem with the midi interface itself.. doing a comparison by using another application could go some way to help eliminate if its just a software setup thing or something else..

Judging by your email address I guess you're UK based right? Email me at marc@darkstate.co.uk, I've got a few hours to kill and might be able to help you out if the other guys here aren't in a position to post more..

Merry Xmas

Marc_D

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)