aaa Spazzing out with automation? - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Spazzing out with automation?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             04-Jan-04  @  07:03 PM   -   Spazzing out with automation?

Boo

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

I've just got meself a control surface and started experimenting by lowering some pad
sounds under the vocalist and then allowing them to rise again in between his singing
thing. I'm also really subtlely panning them and wibbling the volume of them throughout
the track. It seems to add a certain amount of life and an almost human imperfection to
an otherwise really static sounding synth pad.

I also messed with taking a percussive loop and really wazzing the fader up and down
rhythmically so that it's getting quieter and louder and kinda following what the kick and
snare track are doing.

Does anybody else do this?

Just how spazzy do you think you can you get before it all goes to hell?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             04-Jan-04  @  08:35 PM   -   RE: Spazzing out with automation?

milan

Link?: Link

aye... i got a knob box too recently,and now i'm really tempted to have stuff sweep and swoop this way and that thru the whole track

how far can you go? dunno... untill listeners get dizzy and start to puke all over your shiny control surface?

Message 3/16             04-Jan-04  @  11:08 PM   -   RE: Spazzing out with automation?

influx

definitely agree on the movement thing.

how far can you go?

use youre ears  If it sounds busy and out of place, it IS.

the fading the pad up between verses is a good idea, and a commonly used one.

me personally, I get criticized fairly often for my shit being too static. not enough movement, so...maybe I should get a knob box? 

Message 4/16             04-Jan-04  @  11:44 PM   -   RE: Spazzing out with automation?

milan

you know you want one  

Message 5/16             05-Jan-04  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: Spazzing out with automation?

Boo

Well, it's interested just how much more willing we are to do these things when they become less of a pain in the arse.

I guess we're all just lazy. I became a better artist when I got my motorised eraser. I was too lazy to erase anything, you know.

I'm thinking that pumping the percussion up and down is taking it too far. Maybe I should program my velocities with more care...

Message 6/16             05-Jan-04  @  06:39 PM   -   RE: Spazzing out with automation?

k

Link?:  No link

'knob-box' lol  

Message 7/16             05-Jan-04  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: Spazzing out with automation?

craig

I kind of think it's easier to just draw in the envelopes, rather than recording automation over and over trying to get it right...

-Craig

Message 8/16             05-Jan-04  @  09:20 PM   -   RE: Spazzing out with automation?

Influx

thats true too, but...the real time shit...its more...real!

heh. knob box. you like that, kilo?

I thought it looked funny, too.

faderknob box

Message 9/16             05-Jan-04  @  09:54 PM   -   RE: Spazzing out with automation?

psylichon

For things like riding a lead or vocal line, a fader can significantly speed things up,
especially once you get used to working that way.

I like to generate envelopes with a pass or two on on the fader, then get in there and edit
the envelope by mouse. seems to work for me.

Now controlling synth parameters... now that's fun shit.

Message 10/16             06-Jan-04  @  12:00 AM   -   RE: Spazzing out with automation?

Boo

I used to call the 303 my 'Knob box'.

Yeah, synth control via faders. Tried messing with that, too. I definately think it's the
imperfections that make it sound cool, rather than drawing perfect linear lines up and
down.

With vocals, when does fader riding take over from compression?

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)