aaa Sequencers - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Sequencers

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/20             10-Oct-97  @  02:08 AM   -   Sequencers

brad

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm curious. I am now in the position to buy a hardware sequencer since I don't have a computer and was wondering which ones you guys would recommend. For instance, a used shop in my area has a Roland mc300 (I think that's it) for $350.00. Is that a good deal and does it have any operating problems? Would it be wiser to buy a new sequencer? Any and all help welcome . . . as always.

Brad

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/20             10-Oct-97  @  05:57 AM   -   RE: Sequencers

kid303

Get a cheap second hand 486 and a software
sequencer....a hardware sequencer cannot compare
to a fulll blown sequencing package. I reckon your
on about a mc303 above. Many dealers think the
inbuilt sequencer is the same as a stand alone sequencer
like the yamaha qy20 but they are totally wrong.

Message 3/20             10-Oct-97  @  10:25 AM   -   RE: Sequencers

donjr

i'll sell you a mpc2000 cheap if you'r looking for hardware. decent sampler simi complexed
sequencer. offers welcom. patrick.

Message 4/20             10-Oct-97  @  10:47 AM   -   RE: Sequencers

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Computers best but costs multiply like rabbits (if I just had another.......). MC-300 (old one) not so good, MC-303 (same price range over net) isn't better or worse than soft sequencer, just different. All those nice buttons instead of fuckin' menus. The sounds, like most new Roland, suck, but next to my soft sequencer it's a team.

Hilevelt

Message 5/20             10-Oct-97  @  07:53 PM   -   RE: Sequencers

Avene

Alright, I've used quite a few sequencers over the years. At the moment my main sequencer is an Akai MPC3000..Yeah sure, they're expensive and I had to get a loan to get it, but nothing can compare to it as far as timing is concerned. I do have a copy of Logic Audio which I mainly got for arranging, but I hardly use it so I'll probably sell it. The timing is a bit of a joke also. Although I'd have to say this about every software based sequencer I've used.

Someone sent me a crack of VST not so long ago. It worked perfectly, but the timing was terrible. When I first got it I was thinking "VST, cool, I'll use this", but once I'd started using it and realized how crap the timing was, I quickly erased it from my hard drive..It just didn't belong there... I've also tried a demo of Cakewalk and although it's got a really awkward interface compared to Logic, the timing is actually quite good.

Anyone who has only ever used computer based sequencers probably wouldn't know what I'm on about here, but once you use an Akai MPC I guarantee you'll be blown away by the difference. Personally I'd never release anything recorded straight from a computer sequencer. I'd always dump the sequence into the MPC first.

The Roland MC303, forget it. The sequencer on that thing is like a toy, avoid it. I don't know anything about the MC300, 500 or 50 but I hear they're pretty good, and they're hardware sequencers, so you'd be getting a better timing response than a computer based sequencer.

Message 6/20             11-Oct-97  @  12:58 AM   -   RE: Sequencers

brad

So, let me see if I understand correctly. The Akai MPC3000 is a true (as opposed to half-assed) sequencer, in addition to being a sampler?
If so, then I'm definately interested, considering that I've been wanting to get a sampler as well. However, I'm concerned about the "all-in-one" type of box. For instance, a Rave-o-lution can't stand up to a designated drum box and mono synth (in my opinion anyways). So . . . is the MPC3000 truely a good box? If I were to buy one with a sampler in mind as well as a sequencer would you recommend any of the special add ons?
Okay, now for the sampler bit: How does this baby sound; How is the ease of use; What types of filters, if any; And possibly most important of all, is this a good first sampler/sequencer to have?

----
Brad

Message 7/20             11-Oct-97  @  02:20 AM   -   RE: Sequencers

yeah... and I would like to know how the MPC3000 compares to the 2000

Message 8/20             11-Oct-97  @  09:48 AM   -   RE: Sequencers

patrick

the 2000 has more ram capabilities but was desined as an add on as you go box. there is three
units of the mpc 2000 'mpc2000' 'mpc2000 studido' and'mpc2000plus' if you'r not wanting to fork out
the $2000-$2400 for the loaded version you can get the base unit . $1200. later you can add ram
up to 32mb, sampelverb"akai's 4-bus effects processor",smpte ,8 out with spdif i/o.
both have 1000,000 notes max. as for the sampler s2000 quality. 3000 has more midi chanels
and a vga board to expand to a monitor. the 3000 hase a foreward lifted screen opposed to
the flat on the 2000. ive woked with mpc 60 mpc 3000 and mpc 2000. the 3000 is the unit of
choice $3,500. the very best in hardware sequencing. you cant compare raveolution and
mc303 types with these units. i've just recived the steinberg dance pak and have the system to
run these programs. maybe these are very shit tools i'll see. also the mpc's do take time to learn,
but what does'nt. www.akai.com-akaipro

Message 9/20             11-Oct-97  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: Sequencers

chemical-g

See if you can get a second-hand Amiga 500/600 or 2000 , even though I have a Pentium and Cakewalk Pro Audio I mostly use that stuff for Digital Audio and samples whereas I use the Amiga for all the MIDI .. with the Amiga you get computer interface sequencing with rock solid timing as good as hardware sequencers.. ive heard this is also true for the Atari computers ..

Message 10/20             11-Oct-97  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: Sequencers

Avene

Yeah, the MPC2000 could be the way to go these days if you're on a budget. The main things it has that the 3000 doesn't are the waveform editing and sample looping. The filter on each is the standard Akai lowpass which does sound quite good. The sequencer is excellent. The 2000 also loads WAV files which the 3000 doesn't but I use a program called Awave to convert WAV files to the MPC3000 .SND format.

There are things you can do with MPCs that you could never do with a normal sequencer and sampler such as- well, once you've got a drum track down you can easily go into step edit and change the attack, filter cutoff, decay, tuning etc of any individual drum or sample hit. I use this a lot for drum fills and stuff. At the end of a bar, instead of using a normal drum or fill I'll put a kick there and set a slow attack in step edit so the kick goes voomph and fades into the next bar. It sounds good and is easy to do. To do this with a normal sampler you'd probably have to map out a new section or something and would just take too long.

Pages: 1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)