aaa ASR-X - V - MPC-2000......... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: ASR-X - V - MPC-2000.........

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 06-Apr-98  @  02:25 PM   -   ASR-X - V - MPC-2000.........

KIlo

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

ok....... all these un-named and un-qualified little posts keep appearing from I presume MPC users saying that it is a superior machine.... so let's lay this to rest...... WHY ???........

Ok they have very similar specs....the akai is about 200 (UK) more expensive)... the akai seems to have a larger note memory in sequencer.... an extra midi buss for 32 channels..... the asr-x has scsi, synth, & fx as standard...the MPC doesnt.. they both read .WAV & midifiles, Roland and the ASR reads akai s-1000,1100....... so now.......

lets hear your REASONS for the claims....... as a sampler .......and as a sequencer ....

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/12             07-Apr-98  @  08:13 PM   -   RE: ASR-X - V - MPC-2000.........

none

no. i have never owned an asr-x. the situation was that a friend of mine has one and he loaned
it to me for a week. he had been having problems with it and wanted to see what i could
figure out.

basically, i do think that the asrx probably is the best buy for someone on a budget. i guess it
just comes down to the whole idea of new gear isn't always better than old gear. myself and
my friend with the asrx have been doing music for a while now and most of our gear is older
stuff. my current sampler is an ensoniq eps. basically, i just thought the asr-x was a big
disappointment because, except for better quality sampling and the effects, i think my 10
year eps is easier to use. the sequencers are just about identical! i had just hoped that
ensoniq would have made it more tailored for "groove" music(or whatever they are calling it).

i feel like back in the day, we had to "misuse" gear that was made for rock-n-roll type shit in order
to get the sound we wanted. but now i find that the newer gear is really just the same old shit,
you know? the pads on the asrx are nice but there is just a lot of stuff that i think would have
been better. i had hoped the asr-x would be the perfect all-in-one box. don't get me wrong, it
can be used that way but there are just a ton of small things they could have done to make life
easier. dedicated buttons to mute tracks or drum parts would have made life so much easier.
even small shit like the fact that the sequencer has no rewind or forward buttons! just stop, play
and record(to rewind to the beginning you press stop and record). now i know these are pretty
small things to be bitching about but it just pisses me off. like i said my eps sampler has a
better interface than the asrx.

i've never used an mpc2000 so i really can't say much about it. but i do agree that on paper the
asr-x looks like a better deal. i just want to make sure people take a look at it first or realize up
front that they will need to buy something like the peavy 1600 midi fader box or a emu launch(?
is that what it's called). or use a computer-based sequencer(but then to me that defeats the
whole purpose of the asr-x).

i guess it just comes down to what kilo has said many times in the past: don't get fooled into
thinking you have to have the latest gear. many times a reliable old sampler and an mmt8,etc.
will do you just fine.

Message 12/12             07-Apr-98  @  09:12 PM   -   RE: ASR-X - V - MPC-2000.........

kilo

ABSOLUTELY....... the chat on most of the sites tends to be always about..."how is the latest release"... which is cool & only natural,.... but there's alot of great kit around for peanutz.... so if you need a sampler newbies... think about a few oldies.... all the early units are wicked... Akai , Ensoniq, & Roland are especially overlooked... they are pretty hard.. although with mid range samplers now including re-sampling and fx sometimes (a-3000 etc)... and great synthesis it's getting cheaper all the time... .. I suppose there comes a cut off point at which an older s/h bit of kit just wont come down any cheaper........ so for example...... an s-2000 can be had if you scour the shops with cash, for about 600 - 650 (UK) new........ does that mean s/h units will be appearing at 450 - 500 ?....... it can do... but does that then mean an older s-950 is gonna drop to 250-300 ??..... I doubt it very often..... so there is a cut-off point......

It is true tho huh...... for some reason, although WE could all tell them WHAT we want..... they keep getting it 20% wrong........ then you can buy the next model, and it'll be 1% nearer !!!!!..... (what a cynic !!)...... heh ,,....

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)