aaa Please enlighten me about... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Please enlighten me about...

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 08-Jun-03  @  05:00 PM     Edit: 08-Jun-03  |  08:31 PM   -   Please enlighten me about...

Mick

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

...the current crop of motherboards and the like. My last desktop was a P1, my current computer is a P3 laptop, and my next computer is one I want to be able to use as long as I have been using my laptop - three years and going.

I think I'm looking for a MoBo for a fast P4 with the fastest FSB and a huge cashe, able to handle 2gig of fast memory (what are the diferent flavors these days: DIMM, DRAM, SRAM, SDRAM?), SCSI for my current HD, CDrom, CDR/W, 3xUSB for my US428 and Midiman interfaces, RAID to experiement with, firewire, as many slots as possible but no onboard sound or video and probably a few other things I'm not aware of as yet. I do know It wants to be fast fast fast fast fast!!! Oooohwheeeeheeheehee!! I want to be able to use plug-ins like Waves & GRM Tools, and Kantos, which seem to take up a lot of CPU resources.

I would like to keep it under a grand (US) for the MoBo, power supply, CPU, heat sink, memory and case. I'll use my old monitors hard drives, keyboards, mouse, etc., for now. Later I'll be interested in removable HDs, I don't know if that makes a difference regarding the case's form factor.

I'm asking a lot?

Thanks as always, I'll be checking back in between surfing 'round for ideas.

Yours in unenlightened confusion,

Mick

PS: Any thoughts on these recommendations?

http://members.rogers.com/mlomas/2PCDAW.html

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,997602,00.asp - "Core plumbing", "display", "storage", "house and power plant" only.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/13             10-Jun-03  @  02:19 PM   -   RE: Please enlighten me about...

99devils

Link?: Link

Who cares? Athlons are faster, cheaper, and stable.

-Craig

Message 12/13             10-Jun-03  @  03:37 PM   -   RE: Please enlighten me about...

Yonce N Mild

Link?:  No link

I work for a pretty large company with 7 different plants around the us and in the uk. I am the corporate IT support tech and there are 6 other people that do the same job as me at the individual plants (fix pc's, printers, pda's build new pc's) every single one of us uses amd processors in every pc we build including our home pc's. Just my opinion but I think if you pay the extra cash for a pentium you are getting ripped off. I can't help you with the latest and greatest since I'm more focoused on proven stable technology and I know next to nothing about pentium motherboards. A couple of peices of advice though don't worry about the raid thing or onboard firewire I think the serial ata is a little young still and still a little pricy I think it may be standard eventually but I'd give it a year or two. Also with sata you would need new hdd's correct?? I have a ABIT KT7 RAID MB and I don't use the raid controller at all I just got a great deal on a motherboard that happened to have RAID. ATA 133 is more than fast enough for audio but I would recomend firewire (also involves buying a new hdd) it dosn't have to be onboard just buy a card. When I shop for cpu's/mb it is always price/preformance driven I'm on a tight budget at work and home. This is how I do it start with the processor once I decide on the processor speed I check out pricewatch.com and look for cpu motherboard combos with that processor then I dig through the pages till I hit the namebrand motherboards (asus abit gigabyte)once I've found one with all the features I want I do some more searching and see if I can find a better price (usually I don't) another thing is when you get these combos you usally get the option to buy the apropriate memory if you get your cpu mb and ram from the same place you save on shipping too.

Message 13/13             10-Jun-03  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: Please enlighten me about...

milan

Link?: Link

hehehe... thanks for reinforcing my preconceptions.

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)