aaa some 70s notes - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

27-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: some 70s notes

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 08-Mar-00  @  10:08 PM   -   some 70s notes

sage

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

i hear some old 70's notes that sound pretty funky and i would like to play them. so if anyone knows some of the notes or chords it would be very cool if you posted them  

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/14             19-Mar-00  @  09:32 AM   -   RE: some 70s notes

Skoob

Link?:  No link

As mentioned, funk is all about rythmn. Basslines sort-of move in octaves, remember all those 7ths and chromatic leading notes. Jazz is a very good influence to learn from - lots of those 7th, 9th, and 11th jazz chords are put to great use in funk. I mean, take contemporary Jamiroquai: OK, so you may snort at the name, but to learn musical structure from, it's great: 9ths and 11th all over the joint. And flatttened bits.

Basically, the 70s chord is NOT a rock one: flatten stuff, diminish stuff, augment stuff, and add tensions. And then you get cool.

One final thing: great chord to use is the 7flat9, often known as the "Hendrix Chord". It's what's used on many of his tracks: it contains both the major and minor 3rds, and as such is great for key changes. I've illustrated it below in C.

That probably wasn't much help, but a few tips for you to look into. Funk comes easy if you've played jazz. And if you have any sense of rythmn.

Message 12/14             19-Mar-00  @  08:55 PM   -   RE: some 70s notes

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

You want the funk? You need to live it, dude. The real funk, I mean. Immerse yourself in it for years. Eat it breathe it sleep it. It ain't easy, and it ain't always fun, but it pays off. Much more than a few notes and words on a computer screen. A machine does not funk make. Funk comes from the soul, so what you need to do is take some time, and listen to that part of the soul that others have tappe into, and find out where that part is within you, and that only comes from doin it, not readin about it, not talkin about it, doin it. Good luck.

Ape

PS Seek and ye shall find. Funk is everywhere.

Message 13/14             20-Mar-00  @  02:00 PM   -   RE: some 70s notes

jj

I got funk in my trunk.

Message 14/14             21-Mar-00  @  03:36 AM   -   RE: some 70s notes

jojo the dog faced boy

I would like some funk in my trunk.
i would not like it in a hunk
i would not like it in my bunk
but most of all i would like some funk
some funk which goes clunk clunk clunk

Sorry the spirit of Dr Zeus overcame me :p

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)