aaa I know I suck at mixing - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: I know I suck at mixing

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 20-May-06  @  09:28 AM   -   I know I suck at mixing

Rags .aka. Welder

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I had taken a break from making music for around a months time, and just realised how much work it takes to make things sound right. Every time I do this, it takes around a week to pick up again with the routine to sequence and mix, and I mean to do it properly. Also I got some new tools (like smartelectronix's nyquist eq) that sounds great, but still, one needs time to adjust to its capabilities, and so it is pretty disheartening to come back to music, only to delete 6 complete bullshit projects from the hard disk after a week.

But the point is that I've learnt something like a new technique in the process. Well, at least it was new to me.

For a start, there is a 180+ BPM track with lots of synths and drum patterns going on, that has almost no reverb/delay added, and the levels seem right, still it sounds pretty overcrowded. Part of the problem is the high tempo, but also are the rich textures of thesounds I've chosen. And while I did my best with eq-ing out the unwanted and / or unneeded frequencies per channel, it is more balanced now, but still overcrowded.

Now what I realised, that in this situation it is very hard to EQ down unwanted things any further, because almost all channels must be adjusted a little bit, and adjusting one single channel a little bit while everything is turned on produces very subtle results that are imposible to hear (to my lousy ears :-). So the only way to go forward is to listen to each channel in isolation and try to figure out what frequency bands are still unnecesary. And of course, an isolated channel sounds perfectly all right on its own...

Now everybody talks about one should never mix/eq with a "mastering" compressor/limiter inserted into the master. But eventually that could come really handy when trying to figure out what's wrong with one single channel. So I fired up digitalfishphones's endorphin, cranked up the compression and limiting, and looked at each individual channel. And with these "irrealistic settings" it was clear that there is still some deep rumbling and resonant peak to remove from almost every channel.

Now I'm sure this is absolutely no holy grail of mixing , but well, if you know better, tell me!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/14             14-Jun-06  @  11:43 AM   -   RE: I know I suck at mixing

k

alongside: "Get a smapler" ??

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 12/14             09-Jul-06  @  08:41 PM   -   RE: I know I suck at mixing

Malcolm Jeffery

Link?: Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Well ive been here for 10 years and enjoy everyones advice, interesting to see how we all gain
more knowledge and share it, but if all else fails you could drink enough beer to end up like this
hmmmmm.
Malk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 13/14             11-Jul-06  @  08:48 AM   -   RE: I know I suck at mixing

k

ten years!!!... 'kin 'ell!!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 14/14             31-Aug-06  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: I know I suck at mixing

nutoniom

Link?: Link

psylichon wrote:You cant mix things that dont belong together

i'm getting this bit tatooed on my butt

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)