aaa Stereo Pan Law - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Stereo Pan Law

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 25-Dec-02  @  05:06 PM     Edit: 25-Dec-02  |  05:08 PM   -   Stereo Pan Law

Ragnarök

Link?:  Link
File?:  [image]

[image file]

Cubase SX manual says:

""Stereo Pan Law setting allows you to attenuate signals panned center, by -6 or -3dB (default). Selecting the 0dB option effectively turns off “constant-power panning”.""

I tested it and this is not true. If I pan to the right in mixer view, it decreases volume on the left channel ONLY, the right channel remains at peak. If I mix down a stereo file to mono, then the mono file will be louder where the original stereo one was panned center.

Interesting tho, that if I do this test with a VSTi (i tried with FM7) then the level of the sum of left and right channels is always constant (does not depend on the panning of the original stereo material).

Any ideas if this is wrong / i've overlooked something..?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/15             13-Jan-03  @  04:31 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

well logicaly in my brain that seems... logical anyways, could be wrong tho.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 12/15             13-Jan-03  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

Ragnar0k

Link?: Link

[image file]

Same 440 HZ mono Sine testtone on 3 mono channels, panned hard left, center, hard right.

Panning rule is set to -6db under project settings.
So the center panned channel sounds definetly quieter. (if only SX could have a bit more "precise" metering facilities :-)

Message 13/15             13-Jan-03  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

Ragnar0k

[image file]

The same setup, with stereo samples on stereo channels. No panning law applies, works exactly like k described  

Message 14/15             13-Jan-03  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

Ragnar0k

[image file]

Internal panning of FM7 (looks like it uses the -6db scheme as well), on stereo channels (no panning on mixer).

Message 15/15             13-Jan-03  @  09:39 PM     Edit: 13-Jan-03  |  09:51 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

Ragnar0k

File?:  No file

Battery: 0db (no panning law)

Absynth: -3db

ok, now I feel I should stop and make some music instead  

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)