aaa the joys of XP... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: the joys of XP...

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 16-Dec-02  @  11:08 PM     Edit: 16-Dec-02  |  11:10 PM   -   the joys of XP...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

As I have stated in an earlier post, I have just upgraded to Windows XP and have found a few advantages that I will quickly point out for the benefit of others who are thinking of upgrading:

My Waves Plugins work absolutely fine. Whereas with Win2K the dodgy safety mechanisms of the Waves native gold bundle meant that I could not shut down Windows correctly.

Logic is infinitely more stable. It doesn't crash my PC anymore and I am now able to run Softsynths!!! I know this isn't a problem for other users but I was not able to run them on Win2K as the synths just started distorting.

When Logic does crash, my Audiowerk drivers still operate without rebooting. With Win2K, I would have to restart my machine so that the drivers could be found after a crash.

I have also found that XP is soooo much more tweakable and the performance and overall stability of my PC now feels to have drastically improved. Overall, my first impressions are very good indeed and with the new improvements in the system and the way XP handles drivers, I have to say that Microsoft may just have released their first real OS.

I hope this helps others who are thinking of upgrading OS.

Regards.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             20-Dec-02  @  12:32 PM   -   RE: the joys of XP...

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

Martin Walker from Sound on Sound wrote a couple of really interesting articles about midi timing/realworld latency/midi-jitter etc a few months back...

USB interfaces fared worse but its all usable people...

Check it out..

Marc_D

Message 12/16             20-Dec-02  @  02:37 PM   -   RE: the joys of XP...

Steve Roughley

Both Windows 2000, which I was previously running and am using for the comparison, and Windows XP, which I am using now, are professional editions.

Any particular reason?

Regards.

Steve.

Message 13/16             20-Dec-02  @  04:38 PM   -   RE: the joys of XP...

Steve Webster

For music making purposes, what's the difference between XP Pro and XP Home?

Message 14/16             20-Dec-02  @  06:09 PM   -   RE: the joys of XP...

dARKSTATe

You're both the same person aren't you Steves?

Message 15/16             20-Dec-02  @  08:04 PM   -   RE: the joys of XP...

Steve Roughley

I hope not!

Who said that?  

Anyway, I don't actually know what the difference is between the Pro and Home edition, but I got them for free, so I'm not too bothered anyhow.

Steve.

Message 16/16             20-Dec-02  @  08:14 PM   -   RE: the joys of XP...

99devils

The major differences between pro and home have to do with networking - you can't connect to a Windows network with XP home. I don't think there's any difference for music.

-Craig

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)