aaa I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!! - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 15-Dec-03  @  09:45 PM   -   I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

crisisrecordings

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm using a Yamaha 01v digital board.......I have an outboard analog eq that I sometimes run my drums through, but they still don't have the snap that I want.
My tunes sound clean but they don't sound like DnB records..... I have killer tunes that would tear but they don't sound good enough.... Do I need a different mixing desk?......Analog?.....What about compression and what freq. should I be eq-ing my bass at?...... My engineer went to school for mixing but we can't get it right......I just want my stuff to sound like UK DnB wax....Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.......Dj Fakt - CRISIS

crisisrecordings@yahoo.com

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             29-Dec-03  @  10:08 AM     Edit: 29-Dec-03  |  10:10 AM   -   RE: I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

Too much compression can be a BAD thing... everything in moderation, my grandpappy told me..

I'm guessing you've gotta go back to your original mix and look at the audio structure of that... are your various drum components routed to individual tracks (w/ individual EQ, compression etc.)? Are these all then grouped into a kit? Are you applying additional processing at this stage? How does one approach differ from the other?

It isn't always a case of just suggesting freqs, attacktimes, ratios etc. and of course different desks, eqs all have differing responses so what works on Dominics Mackie may prove to be useless on your Yammy... and then of coz we've not even begun to talk about how mastering could affect the overall sound of the track you're putting down to media... Learn to trust your ears (if you don't already)

Message 12/16             29-Dec-03  @  09:52 PM   -   RE: I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

crisisrecordings

Yeah, I'm separating all of the sounds......Kick on one ch., Snare on one ch., etc.
We have been running our drums to an outboard analog eq and then bringing
them back to the desk. And we've been trying to compress the drums together
also......Let me rephrase that...... we group the drums---send 'em to the analog eq---and compress 'em on the return....... the only mastering we've done is a bit
on pro-tools .......if you call that mastering

Message 13/16             30-Dec-03  @  09:05 AM   -   RE: I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

Gotcha. Do you have the signal path to be able to compress and possibly EQ individual drum components BEFORE grouping them down? If not, give it a go... if you've already tried, how did you find the results?

Generally I tend to find that if you've got the signal path available (not a problem within something computer based like SX, but possibly more of an issue in the "real world") AND the time to set it all up, this does give you significantly more scope to manipulate the sound of your drums within the "kit" first of all, and then equally as importantly, the scope to get your "kit" sitting better in the mix with those elements you're looking for like punch in certain contexts etc.

With regards to "mastering", how much are you finding your "mastered" mix in Pro Tools varies from the original mixdown that you're working with.. the old adage goes that "you can't polish a turd", so your master isn't going to cut it or fix any glaring problems if the mixdown itself isn't right first..

Message 14/16             31-Dec-03  @  12:01 AM   -   RE: I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

crisisrecordings

I appreciate all the help......Ima get some of the new stuff up in a while and you just tell me what you think we should do........Happy New Year.........CRISIS

Message 15/16             06-Jan-04  @  10:33 AM   -   RE: I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

k

Link?:  Link

can you upload something to your profile so we can hear it?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 16/16             13-Jan-04  @  12:47 AM   -   RE: I need help w/ my DnB mixdowns!!!!!

crisisrecordings

Yeah, give me a couple days and I'll do it ..........It's the 12th now so...........

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)