aaa Spazzing out with automation? - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Spazzing out with automation?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 04-Jan-04  @  07:03 PM   -   Spazzing out with automation?

Boo

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I've just got meself a control surface and started experimenting by lowering some pad
sounds under the vocalist and then allowing them to rise again in between his singing
thing. I'm also really subtlely panning them and wibbling the volume of them throughout
the track. It seems to add a certain amount of life and an almost human imperfection to
an otherwise really static sounding synth pad.

I also messed with taking a percussive loop and really wazzing the fader up and down
rhythmically so that it's getting quieter and louder and kinda following what the kick and
snare track are doing.

Does anybody else do this?

Just how spazzy do you think you can you get before it all goes to hell?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             06-Jan-04  @  12:34 AM   -   RE: Spazzing out with automation?

psylichon

Link?: Link

well, I feel that proper vocal riding severly lessens or even eliminates the need for a compressor. If you get good at it, your finger sounds much better than even the most transparent compressor.

Message 12/16             06-Jan-04  @  12:40 AM   -   RE: Spazzing out with automation?

Boo

Ah, I get ya!

I'll have to play some with my vocals...

Automation is FUN!

Message 13/16             06-Jan-04  @  01:03 AM   -   RE: Spazzing out with automation?

psylichon

thing is, sonar only allows me 4 parameters at a time that I can set up for remote control... a rather artificial limitation, and one that makes me assign things dynamically and never be able to set up proper templates. Argh... get on that Cake...

But being able to use my foot pedal on filter cutoff like I've done for my Nova all these years... priceless...

Message 14/16             07-Jan-04  @  03:56 AM   -   RE: Spazzing out with automation?

digital rust

hey, boo

which control surface did you get? just curious.

i've been looking at a few.

i'd really like to get mackie control at some point. but i was also looking at the
uc33.

Message 15/16             07-Jan-04  @  05:27 AM   -   RE: Spazzing out with automation?

Boo

Hey Rust,

I got the Mackie control universal. I was going to get the Logic control and then the
Mackie once all that crap sorted itself out, but I'm glad I waited for an all in one solution.
Although you can upgrade both the Logic and Mackie controllers so that they can run
under both systems, it requires a $100 rom flash. The universal works with a whole
bunch of DAWS and just requires you to hold down a couple of track select keys when
you turn on, then you get to choose your DAW from the menu. Nice stuff.

It's absolutely great. Before this, I had a behringer DDX3216 and an old Fostex VM200
automated desk and this feels better than both. It's integration into Logic is perfect and
you can pretty much not use the mouse if you're just mixing, but I don't know how well it
plays with other software. However, the ProTools rep told me that a lot more people are
choosing the Mackie over the Digi 002, which speaks bundles.

If you're looking into the UC33, I guess you're after a little porttable controller? Maybe
get something that's combined with a small master keyboard?

Message 16/16             07-Jan-04  @  02:51 PM   -   RE: Spazzing out with automation?

craig

Depends on the application, but for fine movements that have to be perfect I'd rather draw. Generally I would rather use a fader box for mixing, but both have their advantages. I actually just bought a MotorMix off Ebay yesterday.

I really wish Yamaha would've fully supported the 01V in Sonar. It would've saved me time, money and aggravation  

-Craig

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)