aaa recording guitar - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: recording guitar

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 10-Mar-06  @  10:28 PM   -   recording guitar

urbicide

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

hey psy, what would get the better result:

recording heavily distorted electric guitar with a sm57 ---> m610

or

AKG C414 ---> 610

or both?

any suggestions?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             17-Mar-06  @  05:23 AM   -   RE: recording guitar

psylichon

Link?: Link

and another in the "sorry i didn't think of it" category... you can put a 414 right up on the grill with a 57 with a 10 or 20 dB pad on no problem. You won't damage it... it can take the SPL's.

that is... how loud were you tracking?

and were you panning the close and far mic? Why?

Message 12/16             20-Mar-06  @  11:57 PM   -   RE: recording guitar

urbicide

I could not use the 610 unfortunately... there is a ground hum problem with my power outlets or something is wrong with the 610... I get a low, 50 - 60 hz hum whenever I plug the 610 in. I need to check the wiring inside the location or figure out why I'm getting the hum with only the 610.

The room sounds good. Real vibrant sound. The C-414 sounds great. Room mic or acoustic guitar, it works great. I didnt get any great results from recording electric guitar tho. Even in a smaller room.

The reamp thing you suggests sounds interesting... a lot of extra work. I'd rather get all the product when recording it. Avoids mucking around while tracking. Which slows me down. Do you do this as post-production or tracking?

Recording electric seems to require a great amount of expertise. I couldnt imagine how long it takes to understand the relationship of microphones, amp, distance, etc, when recording. I honestly beleive a condenser/ribbon mic will give me the sound to blend with the sm57. I think I could get the better sound by having say: 4 mics to work with... blending, etc...

The 7-string is very low... a low A on the 7 string almost sounds like muddy-ass through a SM57 without eq'ing. The 57 did work but I feel the condenser mic would bring out the 7-string. I couldnt imagine what a warm old Neumann would sound like.

on the panning question: I set the mics up, as if I was miking a stereo kit or just in stereo. If it sounds good in stereo, it should sound okay in mono. I multitracked (2 tracks) into one mono. Hence I'll have to do this a little different next time. As I had phase issues with the 57/c414 combo!

Anyhow, I relistened to the track and I liked the result I got... very dark. the growl. I wish the 610 was thrown into the mix, but the hum was too apparent with distortion.

It's been fun.

Message 13/16             22-Mar-06  @  02:03 AM   -   RE: recording guitar

k

Link?:  Link

was playing our bassists seven string today. He's got an Epiphone 7 string les-paul (!) didnt even know such a thing existed!. He's also got a Sunn rig.. all valve.. which is humungously large and 'rock looking' it's got asn interesting sound. He's got it going thru an orange 4x12 at the moment - we're going to d some recording at some point cos i just built the system for him. and we're going to do a tutorial session or two to get him into the swing of multitracking with Logic... should be fun

cor i tell you... you wanna see this system i built him man... he spent some cash and it is so flippin quiet! even with optional 2 case fans running it's a whisper (and the room it's in has no absorbing carpet to mask the noise. it's solid basement tiled floor & plaster walls) He just added a 17" LG screen today and the whole system inc keyboard is silver & black ..lol.. it does look well cool.. that screen btw is fantastic.. really nice and has a simple step-thru button to switch display 'types' - 'night-text' is one.. and it flattens the contrast and brightness down to a level so that reading txt on a white page doesnt bore holes into your sockets in a dimly lit viewing environment... cool! - so there's 'profile' steps for various vonditions like that which u can step thru. I got it running at 1280 x 1024 75 hz and it looks loverly. I think it's 8ms response time.. dot isnt mega high but the image is really good for a cheap screen - i think he paid 160 ish at PC World.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 14/16             22-Mar-06  @  04:36 PM   -   RE: recording guitar

urbicide

wicked man!

I've never heard of a 7-String bass either; 7-string guitar only. Whats it play like? Can u play chords on it?

Sounds like a nice rig. What will you be recording it with? Sounds fun.

Message 15/16             22-Mar-06  @  08:31 PM   -   RE: recording guitar

k

Link?:  Link

no no... he's bassist in the band i'm in but he's primarily a guitarist... the 7 string is a guitar.. not bass

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 16/16             23-Mar-06  @  06:55 PM   -   RE: recording guitar

urbicide

ahh I see : -)

the Les Paul is very popular for studio work. It almost, definitley has the best 7-string sound.

Never heard of the Epiphone version.

badass: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=517675

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)