aaa Virus KC and Sonar - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Virus KC and Sonar

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 04-Jan-03  @  09:51 AM   -   Virus KC and Sonar

In2Muzikk

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Disclaimer: I'm pretty new to the world of synthesizers and sequencers, so if my questions seem stupid, they probably are.  

Based on a music dealer's recommendation, I made an investment in Sonar 2.0 XL because it's "rock solid and works with everything"...famous last words...haha I'm now trying to set up Sonar to work with my Access Virus KC synth, but the MIDI patches in Sonar aren't playing the right sounds (if I pick "flute," a sound comes on with heavy bass, for example). Also, if I load a Sonar "tutorial song," only one instrument will play (eg: piano), but it sounds nothing like a piano. Selecting "solo" on any other track (saxaphone, drums, triangle, etc.) just results in silence.

Cakewalk recommended that I create instrument definitions for the keyboard. They also said that I might be able to find instrument definitions that others have previously set up in user forums such as this. If anyone knows about instrument definitions for the Virus KC, I'd really appreciate the advice. Cakewalk said that this may also solve another problem I'm having with Sonar: After exiting Sonar, my keyboard won't make any sound until I turn it off/on - then it plays normally again.

But here's what really confuses me: I also have Reason 2.01 and it seems to work fine. If I record MIDI from the keyboard into Reason, I can choose different patches (using Subtractor, for example) and the sound I pick is the sound that I hear (no surprises, unlike Sonar).

I'm at a loss as to why Reason doesn't require all of these instrument definitions like Sonar does...I'm really looking forward to making some music instead of troubleshooting it, but at least I've solved the problem with my Layla 24 not transmitting MIDI Sysex data properly (thanks to my new Midisport 2x2 box), but that's a whole other story!

Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone else uses the Virus KC with Sonar...I'm hoping that I'm not the only one! Thanks.  

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/17             10-Jan-03  @  07:51 AM   -   RE: Virus KC and Sonar

In2Muzikk

Hey, thanks everyone! Perhaps I have managed to over-complicate it all...I hope so, because learning this synth in my spare time is sofar one of the hardest things I've ever done! lol

I even tried recording to Sonar from Reason the other day...seemed to record o.k., but I couldn't see a track for it anywhere in Sonar - maybe Reason's just omnipresent? Also tried recording a second track from Reason, but gave up on that after awhile (there's like 50 MIDI tracks in Sonar for Reason just waiting to be used, so there must be a way!)

Haven't figured out how to make those smooth, airy trance sounds like my Nederlander friends, much less a decent drum track either, but half the fun is trying, right? ...the other half would be making the holes that I've kicked into my keyboard stand! (actually, my Ultimate stand's so tough it would probably kick holes in me for trying)

Still easier than learning Dutch though I'd say...must work on that before my trip back to Europe this year...Dank u wel!

Message 12/17             10-Jan-03  @  03:54 PM   -   RE: Virus KC and Sonar

Maarten

Link?: Link

Oefening baart kunst. Remember that. ;)

Message 13/17             10-Jan-03  @  08:24 PM   -   RE: Virus KC and Sonar

99devils

I have a feeling I won't want to say that to anyone whilst in Holland  

Message 14/17             11-Jan-03  @  05:17 AM   -   RE: Virus KC and Sonar

in2muzikk

Well, to get completely off the subject of this forum, I can say that the Dutch are some of the friendliest people in the world...at least to me! I'm sure there are always exceptions (gotta have a few to distinguish good from bad, you know), but that has been my experience. I met a musician friend from Bovenkarspel online through my website (precede my email address with www. and drop the @aol if you'd like to see it), and we've been great friends for over 3 years now. Whenever I visit, I'm greeted by smiling faces and icy Grolsch's at the door! ..and this is coming from a guy in LA (where "I'll call you!" means "goodbye!"), so you KNOW it's true...lol

I think that there's some incredible music coming from Holland and Europe in general...would probably move there myself if the winters weren't so cold   I'm also very thankful for discovering this forum...I feel that it's a great environment to learn things that I don't know, help others out, and I feel just a bit more connected with others who share a strong passion for making music from the heart and sharing it with others. That's what I'm all about, and I'm glad that you are here with me!

End of speech, now back to the Virus!!!!!!!!  

Message 15/17             11-Jan-03  @  03:02 PM   -   RE: Virus KC and Sonar

Maarten

Those were really wise words I wrote there Craig... if I may say so myself. I'm one of those friendly Dutch people  

Message 16/17             14-Jan-03  @  02:32 PM   -   RE: Virus KC and Sonar

99devils

Oh yes, the Dutch were extremely friendly to me when I was there as well. I'm just always apprehensive about saying something to someone when I don't understand what I'm saying.. Next thing I know I'll be arrested for trying to buy smack or something  

-Craig

Message 17/17             14-Jan-03  @  10:39 PM   -   RE: Virus KC and Sonar

Maarten

hehe, there are worse things you'll get away with here.. disturbing but true.

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)