aaa midi latency - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

07-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: midi latency

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 17-Dec-03  @  03:34 PM   -   midi latency

RUTH

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I am having problems with my midi latency to keyboard.It appears to go out of time with my click track and i have every thing seemingly connected and setup properly.I dont Think its my keyboard or soundcard.When i reset devices it right's its self for a bit and then goes out of sync again i have aterratec sound card and a pretty fast computer

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/17             23-Jan-04  @  04:37 PM   -   Audio problems

ruthstyles

Link?:  No link

I wrote in a while ago about midi latency problems with vst.I have since changed to SX and am now perfectly in sync.I recently upgraded my motherboard and processor to a pentium 4 2.6 gig but am now experencing crackling noise if i record more than one guitar at a time.This crackling noise starts as soon as i play my guitar in record mode.The first take seems ok, but it starts in the second.My sound card is a terretec 64/96 fire and everything seems to be set up properly.I would be gratefull for some advice. Ruth.

Message 12/17             23-Jan-04  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: midi latency

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

You're running Cubase SX under Windows XP?

Some things to check... Build of Cubase SX.. if its SX1, then you should
be running the update that takes it to 1.0.6. If its SX2, then you're looking at the update that takes it to 2.0.1

Other things to check if you're running Windows XP is that your system is "configured for music production", as there are system config tweaks you can do to make XP perform better for the demands placed on it by music (non music background apps turned off, screen savers, power saving/hibernation turned off etc..) Do a search here on DT for this, or you can go to http://www.musicxp.net for this info..

Make sure you're running the latest drivers for your soundcard AND that they're okay for working with Cubase SX2 (if that's what you're using) - several brands of soundcards have had to have their drivers revised to work with the newer Cubase SX (Terratec and STAudio both spring to mind)

Finally, you may need to check the buffer settings on your soundcard drivers control panel (it should be running in ASIO mode for Cubase SX for best performance in audio work NOT MME or DirectX mode)

Larger buffers = higher latency but smoother playback on projects with a lot of audio, plugins etc.

Smaller buffers = lower latency, more cpu strain but vst instruments plugins etc. respond quicker (more like "real time"), however if you push the latency too low, or your trying to do too much in real time then you will get pops and crackles..

All this stuff is very well known and documented in faqs etc.. I'm sure the other folks here can add plenty on to my cursory info but anyway, hope this helps..

Good luck..

Marc_D

Message 13/17             25-Jan-04  @  06:12 PM   -   audio problems

ruthstyles

Thanks marc for the reply,firstly i have a pretty new version of cubase sx 2 and have the latest drivers installed.I have messed around with the buffer sizes but it does not make much difference to the crackling sound.I also got the same problem with cubase vst which leads me to think its not the program.I would be gratefull for any more advice as thts is driving me up the wall.

Message 14/17             25-Jan-04  @  07:45 PM   -   RE: midi latency

k

well, call me old fashioned, but I never have seen problems like this since like 5 years ago - these sort of problems are a thing of the past I thought - perhaps the card is actualy knackered? - I mean that's two pc's it's flopped in right? (you rebuilt with a new board & cpu and ram right?)

did you use the same graphics card when you swapped board/cpu etc?

perhaps it's a good time to list all the components?

Message 15/17             28-Jan-04  @  12:04 PM   -   Audio problems

ruthstyles

K,thanks for the reply,i did use the same graphics card which is a radeon 9700pro and i would be inclined to agree with you about the sound card, but i have recorded audio using sound forge and have no problems.Also if i change to a multimedia driver even though the latency is sky high i also have no problems,it just then means i cant record midi without a delay.I have tried different sample buffer sizes but i should not have to go past 1024 with my system.I have a feeling it could be the drivers.I have down loaded fairly new ones but mabey there wrong.If so could you recommend a site and the right ones.To be honest with you i should have not put the new board and chip in because it was running fine before with SX.If you could offer any more advice iwould be very gratefull.Ruth.

Message 16/17             28-Jan-04  @  04:33 PM     Edit: 28-Jan-04  |  04:44 PM   -   RE: midi latency

dARKSTATe

Ruth, did you ever try recording with a DAW program something other than Cubase (VST or SX) as I suggested? (Not soundforge but something else, say a demo version of Sonar etc.) Also, you mention a new version of cubase sx2, can you confirm the exact version number? (it should be 2.0.1), as well as the date on the drivers you're using for your Terratec?

The latest listed WDM Terratec 24/96 drivers are dated 29.08.2003 and can be found HERE.. which is the official Terratec driver support website.

I can't really think of anything else to suggest via a forum post... I offered to try some more support suggestions over the phone and left you a contact number for me (as I've found it a *much* quicker method by which to help ppl with their tech problems), but as I didn't hear from you I guess you weren't interested.. Anyway, good luck, I'm sure it'll get sorted..

Message 17/17             29-Jan-04  @  02:19 PM   -   RE: midi latency

Soulfoolz

hi, i've been reading about your problem and i wanted to supply a link but its not working right now ...

In your cubase-folder is a folder called 'midiportEnabler'- in that folder you will find a file called 'ignoreportfilter'.Move this file to cubase-folder so one step up and all midi-inputs/outputs will appear to choose from in the inspector.you will have emulated and non-emulated ones but have to try wich one will work for you.For some people the non-emulated midi-ports will fix this problem but for me it was the other way around so its trial and error.

Its a big problem and lots of people have it but the above suggestion fixed it for me so give it it try

good luck

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)