aaa Sonar 2 - things i DO like - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 08-Dec-02  @  12:44 AM   -   Sonar 2 - things i DO like

k

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

chuckle - can't be too hard on cake ... even IF they did add a quote to their product package from ... wait for it.. mp-bloody-3.com' - shee's who proundlu wrote one small page of euphamisms and called it a review...

lol

ok... some good thinsg being discovered

I really like the speed to setup a loop-mode - just drag across the top the required bars like Logic and hit the button to set start/end markers - nice!

and it's nice quick stuff liek that which get's me narked abouit other NOT fast stuff in the other thread... such small imperfections holding it back seems nuts

anyways... more to come no doubt - i think i already praised the ability/proceadure to edit multiple midi clips in the same edit window to see relative positions... that's nice when laying bass ideas to a drum pattern for example and now (wether this was in sonar 1 I dont remember) you can show piano/drum/velocity views all in the one piano-roll editor... but, if you cant isolate velocities on the same beat then .... wait!.. thats the other thread... see what i mea abot slight incongruities between excellent design and strange ommisions ?

The stability is great!... ok one track with battery in crashes on load.. that might be battery - but while working it feels REALLY robust and 'snappy' & haven't had any in-working crashes or errors at all.

the included compressor and eq from Timeworks look excellent!! - i didnt get time to play with them too much but the comp' can pump that's for sure if pushed... The eq looks nice too and has some nice acoustic guitar presets.

of course, whatever anyone says, i noticed too that typical CAKEWALK AUDIO SOUND... i dunno why, it just sounds.... um... God it's so hard to desxcribe... it always sounds to me like the difference between a digital recording, and a digital recording that's got some characteristic somehow of a top-end 30ips tape machine... it's WEIRD! --- other people unpromted have said the same about cake's audio sound, that it is more full somehow... immeadiately I pushed the INPUT MONITOR for the sound-rack and heard the guitar it was a good clean full level, and the LONG PROPER meters on the arrangepage offering quality metering as you'd expect on a good meter bridge or quality digital hard disk unit or mixer etc really add's to the whole confidence where audio is concerned - I can't wait to try it with fast WDM drivers which HOPEFULLY will be very good because at the trade show i saw them and actualy played some dxi's via a hoontech dsp24/96 VALUE!!!!!... but that was in win2k - fingers crossed for the same in XP which i have to install when i get the new disk for it

anyways.. loverly audio sound... gorgeous! - and with a superb quality eq and compressor thrown in you're laughing frankly for all your audio if you've a decent pre-amp to hand for your mic.

The metronome/clock - SOLID - and that's all you can say... it is VERY solid indeed, almost hardware sequencer-like.

anyways... some good points, more to discover no doubt.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/18             12-Dec-02  @  12:49 AM   -   RE: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

k

ok.. I'll install the updates.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 12/18             14-Dec-02  @  12:27 AM   -   RE: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

k

Battery now is fine.. excellent!... can you guys get multiple outs on it?

Message 13/18             14-Dec-02  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

BJT

Link?:  No link

I read somewhere that pro audio has always used 32 bit floating point, I guess Sonar is the same. Where as Cubase has gone from 16bit->24bit->32 bit fp.

I don't like using timestretch, I am assuming when you turn it off it won't colour the sound?

Message 14/18             03-Jan-03  @  01:00 PM   -   RE: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

k

video! - we imported some video into Logic plat' and it wouldnt play the video at the correct speed at all and wouldnt play the audio either... we tried various settings but couldnt get it to work at all...

Imported into SONAR it was absolutely rock from the word go!!... and the video section of SONAR offers so many extra options all easy to deal with... not even a look at the manual was required in fact to get it going... so we tried a litle experiment using a cheap video camera.

We got the singer to sing along to a stereo track we'd previously recorded and had imported into SONAR... imported the video into sonar, offset the start by zooming in to the audio track with the top/time-bar set to display HMSF to get the exact start-time, and then set the video start offset to the same time, and hey presto! - there's the singer singing along to the music!.... heh heh

impressed! - so impressed i went out and got Adobe Premier yesterday to get more into this shit.

Very impressed with SONAR in this respect

Message 15/18             03-Jan-03  @  03:04 PM   -   RE: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

bedwyr

Link?: Link

hehe, more good news  

Message 16/18             04-Jan-03  @  03:02 PM   -   RE: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

k

heh heh - well i'm going up to checkout a Sony trv140 camera... cheap in the sales at 329 quid! - it's got zoom, anti-shake, film-in-darkness, full colour screen, lithium 'no-loss' battery etc etc... dumps to pc via firewire etc.. luverlee! - I cant beleive how cheap they are now.

anyways, up to Peter Jones... you get a free 2 year warranty from that shop. None of that 'extended warranty' bollox like at dixons or the other shops which you have to pay extra for. Plus anyways I like that shop cos all the workers own a share in the company.

Message 17/18             06-Jan-03  @  09:07 AM   -   RE: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

k

heh heh - got it! - brilliant bargain for 329 quid! - filmed a live band last night and the quality was really good, there were pretty impressed... video stuff here we come! heh-heh

Message 18/18             08-Jan-03  @  01:35 PM   -   RE: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

k

well, I have removed 98 from my main athlon pc and put xp-pro on it - so i'll be able to get into realtime input monitoring & dxi playing with any luck soon! - hope the st-audio xp drivers are good - yummy!

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)