aaa Hustlers at CreativeLabs! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Hustlers at CreativeLabs!

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 07-Aug-97  @  09:42 AM   -   Hustlers at CreativeLabs!

giraff

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

This is an ACTUAL quote form CB's website (if you're interested: http://www.cle.creaf.com/wwwnew/products/sound/awe64/special.html):
"The AWE64 is upgradable with more memory so that you can download better quality sound for MIDI playback and
SoundFont Banks. Instead of using 30 pin SIMMs as required by SB32 and AWE32, the AWE64 uses memory modules
which will be sold through Creative’s extensive distribution channels. Currently, 4, 8, 12 and 24 MB modules are available.
The use of memory modules makes it easier for users to upgrade the AWE64. No jumper settings are needed as the board
will immediately detect the presence of a module. Your investment is thus protected through the option to upgrade. "

Yeah, sure, it's a NEW AND IMPROVED METHOD to rip us off! "we've found this great way to make u suckers pay even more!"
THey should have opted for a "cheaper" solution to the customers.
This proves, beyond the shadow of a doubt,that the guys from CB are hustlers!  
Well, maybe a just little bit...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/18             03-Oct-97  @  04:29 PM   -   RE: Hustlers at CreativeLabs!

Benmeh

Well, I dunno about the rest of you but I own an AWE64 gold and would have to say it's been nothing but a pain in the arse. Firstly, Creative put fuck all new drivers up for it and secondly it(or the drivers) cause audio crashes in windows which are completely fucked!!! Cakewalk 6.0 hates this card (alot) and has problems reinitializing it. The sig to noise is pretty lame still with -90dB and hisses like a Rattle Snake (good name for their new cards!!).. Cake , you are just a cheap arse mother f----er and I gotta say I would shell out for a Terratec Or even better an Event series card!!! Just to not have to deal with Creatives Garbage Sound card reputation. They are wonderful for games and shithouse for serious recording. Mark my words!!!!

Message 12/18             03-Oct-97  @  07:35 PM   -   RE: Hustlers at CreativeLabs!

kilo

hear hear !!!!... funnily, someone else was slating cake6 and happened to be using the awe-64..... sad

Message 13/18             07-Oct-97  @  11:40 PM   -   RE: Hustlers at CreativeLabs!

I will burn my 64gold!

Cake (or Bifidus).

Message 14/18             08-Oct-97  @  03:43 PM   -   RE: Hustlers at CreativeLabs!

kilo

all I can say is.......go and look at the newsgroups......now.....which soundcards have the most users complaining about problems ????....... I rest my case......

a little snippet.....an ex-employee for creative europe told me that when he was with the company, he had to fight tooth & nail to get creative to even include in the literature the fact that the awe cards had s/pdif output, as creative's feelings were that this was irrelevent to users (games players ??)........

Message 15/18             09-Oct-97  @  05:15 PM   -   RE: Hustlers at CreativeLabs!

DJBooBooKitty

Well, I own an AWE64, and it's not SO bad. The noise level is pretty bad, and the software-only full duplex are the worst parts about it.

But, the soundfont support means that you don't have to buy a sampler, and the AWE64 is really cheap.

In all, I think it's an OK card for starting out, or if you're poor.

Don't knock it too much, folks. (FYI, I use cake6 all the time, and never had a problem getting the card to work.)

Maybe the folks who say it doesn't work don't understand hardware....

Message 16/18             09-Oct-97  @  06:08 PM   -   RE: Hustlers at CreativeLabs!

kilo

agreed.......it can work, and can provide a cheap starter solution, but also it can prove very problematic..... I guess I belong to the school of thought that would rather wait & save for the best realistic approach I can achieve, as opposed to buy now cheaper but limited approach.... horses for courses folks...... but with stuff like the terratec being sold by some dealers for as little as 399 (UK sterling), I think it's worth the extra 200 or so to get a full-blown cool card.....

Message 17/18             10-Oct-97  @  10:45 AM   -   RE: Hustlers at CreativeLabs!

patrick

the terratec sells for $525 in the us. not bad!!!

Message 18/18             13-Oct-97  @  10:45 AM   -   RE: Hustlers at CreativeLabs!

Peezahj

Link?:  Link

So, I tore out the SB 16 from my mom's 486 that she only uses for word processing and stuck it in mine, just 'cause I've got all these soft-synths and soft-vocoders (AudioSim, Awetub, ProRave, etc.) that keep telling me they're only SB and GUS compatible (I've got the oem Crystal pnp).

Now I'm getting fuck problems, conflicts, all of which I could dig into for an hour and fix, but is it even worth it?
The Crystal wasn't horrible for playback, and I've got an Event card on layaway anyhow. I'll probably end up w/ another card to run Seer Reality some day, which now means an AWE64, and I've got only one isa slot left.

Basically, is it worth it? Am I gonna be getting the same conflicts in a couple of weeks with the Event, so I might as well get used to doing it now? Or, at that point the Crystal can be reduced to a mere midi i/o, so what do I do for the speaker phone (admittadly petty question)? As far as Vocoders, my friend's dying to trade my Quad 2 for his SE-70, so do these soft- even compare?

Thank you,
Hilevelt

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)