aaa Help on how to make TRANCE beat - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Help on how to make TRANCE beat

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 18-Jul-00  @  03:28 PM   -   Help on how to make TRANCE beat

toomas

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hey!

Im a big fan of Ferry Corsten , Dj tiesto , Rank1, Dutchforce.

I need help in making their style of drum grooves and i need drum samples.

Please add me on ICQ#: 71538338

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/19             31-Jul-00  @  10:36 AM   -   RE: Help on how to make TRANCE beat

ggehiere

Link?: Link

To elaborate on JAWA's comment regarding basslines:

Trance often uses a pedal bass effect where the
bassline plays only one note, or is rooted around one
note. In trance, the bass often plays between bass drum
hits, and it really adds to the flow and groove of the
track. When a pedal bass effect is used, the bass
become a much more percussive instrument.

I guess I'm speaking up about this, because I just
finished a track called 'Cherry Beach', and there's no
bassline, because I couldn't really find the right
sound and didn't like what it did to the ambience of
the track. I've been told it's a good track, but some
of my friends have pointed out that the absence of that
bassline seriously diminishes the flow of the track.
Lesson learned... It's hard to make groovy trance drums
without groovy trance basslines.

toomas, have you tried multiple hihats, running
together? I was going to add an example of pattern with
tighter open hats that I know Paul van Vyk and Tiesto
have used, but it doesn't look right on the 4 step
grid, but try tightening things up instead of letting

Message 12/19             01-Aug-00  @  05:07 AM   -   RE: Help on how to make TRANCE beat

Jasper

another effect to use is a celeste style thing for hi-hats. if it's got an lfo switch it off.. the effect tends to make 909 ohh sound squeezed without compressing them.

I don't know exactly what the celest is.. some kind of slowly modulated dephase.

Message 13/19             01-Aug-00  @  12:41 PM   -   RE: Help on how to make TRANCE beat

k

once again i'd vote for timed delays on the hats & percussion parts to give tracks that flowing 'ripple'

Message 14/19             02-Aug-00  @  05:33 PM   -   RE: Help on how to make TRANCE beat

k

one good technique is to sample a few bars of the track you like - a straight riff part.. loop it well in an editor making sure it starts absolutely smack bang on the first kik of the bar... then save the loop, impoert it into your sequencer to an audiio track, and loop it, then open a drum map, start by adding in the kiks, - use e'q to remove the bottom end and isolate the hats/top-end... copy the beats of the hats etc, pay attention to the dynamic's or loudness of each hit... um... yeah - so use the eq to isolate bands of frewquencies to isolate drumsounds more... go for the upper mid for snares and claps type sounds etc.. and just try like that to copy the beat, they are both running at the same time in sync, so get it like as good as you can.. fade out the loop, bring it back, mess about.. etc

Message 15/19             02-Aug-00  @  06:24 PM   -   RE: Help on how to make TRANCE beat

0/d

Link?:  Link

hey jasper,you said something about timing an lfo to a beat(1/4s etc),how do you do this? you use an a3k? I haven't been able to figure it out on my a5k.

oh,and my trance beat tip is percussion,loads of percussusion that sits beneath the track,don't be afraid to use some really off the wall short snippets,it can give your track that little bit extra that makes it stand out from the rest.

Message 16/19             03-Aug-00  @  05:30 AM   -   RE: Help on how to make TRANCE beat

Jasper

that tips a goodun, I use the same thing on a lot of stuff to fill out the sound without taking it over. on the a3k you can copy the sound and then hipass filter it, set the detune or dephaze to something and drop the volume right down.. playing it around the main sounds notes to give it a bit of depth.

Message 17/19             03-Aug-00  @  05:37 AM   -   RE: Help on how to make TRANCE beat

Jasper

to get the lfo synced to midi.. erm I'll have to use the a3k way of doing things.. you've got a proper screen so it'll prob be different slightly.
press play then press the midi (f6) button until you see the program lfo screen.. set the sync to midi.
now setup a control matrix for the sample you want to affect, press edit then f6 until you get to the first slot (there are 6 for each sample) it'll be set to filter by default responding to control (74 I think).. turn the dial under the controler number until it reads program lfo. filter is now sync to external midi. go back to the program lfo screens (play/f6) for the screen that has the note on it to change how fast the lfo is.. helps if you have the seq playing to see the difference.. I hope this is clear enough.

Message 18/19             03-Aug-00  @  12:50 PM   -   RE: Help on how to make TRANCE beat

ggehiere

Link?: Link

Just a little anecdote:

I use a sampler for lots of extra hits, kicks and hats
to back up my shitty Mc-303. I sampled what I thought
were some kick ass hats off a record, and started
working away. I usually double up hats at some point in
the track, with two different patterns playing off each
other.

It turns out the hats from the record were exactly the
same ones on my 303 - not just the same sound, but the
same sample. They were ever so slightly out of pitch
with each other that I got a freaky flange effect! What
were the chances? (If it wasn't the same sample, it
wouldn't phase like

Message 19/19             07-Aug-00  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: Help on how to make TRANCE beat

0/d

Link?:  Link

nice one japer,i think I have it now.

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)