aaa maxisound home studio pro 64 - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: maxisound home studio pro 64

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 20-Feb-98  @  11:20 PM   -   maxisound home studio pro 64

rife45

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hi, I am thinking about buying a maxisound home studio pro 64 and have a few questions. So if anyone has this card I would really appreciate your input.

1) How do the midi sounds on the maxisound compare to the awe 64's midi?
2) any problems installing the card with windows 95b
3) after recording tracks is there any lag in what was recorded

thanks,

Don

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/23             21-Mar-98  @  11:06 PM   -   RE: maxisound home studio pro 64

kilo

you can get it cheaper than that........ in the UK

Message 12/23             22-Mar-98  @  07:38 PM   -   RE: maxisound home studio pro 64

Mel

That's great news! Approx. prices? Where to buy from? Your help is appreciated.

Message 13/23             26-Mar-98  @  05:49 PM   -   RE: maxisound home studio pro 64

adams04

oops i opened another chat on tech stuff just now , then i found this (again)Anyway just to let you know there is an official list with guys at Ubi soft and Gi too contributing, check on the www.guillemot.com . its probably better than tech support which is probably snowed under with Gamers questions.Richardfullerbenn has a maxi site under www somewhere ,hes pretty helpful.cheers adams04@infonie.fr

Message 14/23             24-Apr-98  @  04:39 AM   -   RE: Maxisound64 H S Pro BAD S/PDIF Take care!!

chaumex

PC soundcard "Maxi Sound 64 Home Studio Pro",(Guillemot), reduces 2.5 db.
the amplitude level of any audio signal sent through its digital output,
(S/PDIF).This soundcard donīt carry a correctly standard S/PDIF. Guillemot
hides this feature to customers. It is NOT mentioned in any manual or
publicity. Take care!

Message 15/23             25-Apr-98  @  02:26 PM   -   RE: maxisound home studio pro 64

erikr

I just read that this card doesn't support correctly standard S/PDIF. What does this mean ? It is unable to record S/PDIF output from other peripherals/there are recording errors like clicks...?

Message 16/23             04-May-98  @  08:30 PM   -   RE: maxisound home studio pro 64

tpuisseg

Absolutely, MAXI-SOUND HSP Pro64 is NOT IEC958 COMPLIANT: the official S/PDIF Consumer format norm has been completly ignored when the sound card has been designed!!! I have this info directly from Guillemot's tech manager here in France. I quote: "We have chosen a fixed 44100Hz technology for our S/PDIF interface. If the inputing unit is not EXACTLY at 44100Hz, a few samples may be left over due to reclocking problems. These MAY induce some sound artefacts in no way audible by a human ear."

These "hypothetical" artefacts are more than audible when clicks come up at 0db on your recording meters !!! I have pushed intensive tests on a first card that I returned thinking it was faulty. The second one I received had exactly the same problems and after long debates with Guillemot tech services they simply said "it was something possible... and that It would be better if I changed for a Professionnal S/PDIF card..."

Main problems on S/PDIF are:
- Random clicks and pops up to 0 db when recording
- +- 3db loss on input and output SPDIF transfers
- A terrible aliasing on low freqs (Bass Drum)

All these design flaws affects ONLY the SPDIF I/O, the analog circuits and the MIDI sampler works PERFECTLY well and is vastly superior than SB cards for that price range.

To conclude, HSPro 64 is a fine card for general and home studio use (much better than SB64) and the Dream Chip is really worth the deal to get 8 Audio channels in Cubase or Cakewalk. But forget using the so-called S/PDIF interface as is absolutly not reliable and really crappy.
Guillemot has completly FU****-up all their customers with marketing stuff but don't get fooled: S/PDIF interface for less than Ģ180 isn't for today. I'm going for a SEK'D Prodif32 as soon as I get paid back by Guillemot... Hope that one will do it's job....

Message 17/23             05-May-98  @  01:10 AM   -   RE: maxisound home studio pro 64

lizard

I was wondering if I got this card and later decided I wanted a "real" S/PDIF interface, could I use another card along with this one? I am new to this stuff, but this stuff, but this card seems right to me. I would appretiate a response through e-mail, if possible. Thanks a lot!

-Lizard

Message 18/23             15-May-98  @  11:28 PM   -   RE: maxisound home studio pro 64

dxw

Honestly, for the money, it's a damn good card. If you were so worried about -3db at certain areas of your recordings, then go buy an Event, or midiman. It's $200, y'all, not $2000. For the money, NOTHING compares. They sold out in America, so rather than waiting, I bought the Game Theater 64, same hardware, less options (no SPDIF, less software, etc.) Coincidentally, due to the demand and obvious design characteristics, Gi has started selling the SPDIF separately, for those who want it for the GT 64 (NOT Dynamic 3D Edition), it's $100. The long awaited PCI part is due in Q3-4, so E-mail them with design considerations, they are happy to hear 'em (trust me, they really want to know!)! Me, I want some real samper functions, a la Akai S-2000, like resonance filters, ability to write/read to other samplers (kinda like the Terratec!). It's got flaws, but so will the new Yamaha when it comes out. Only I am perfect!!!! It's just a damn good deal, if you can find it.

Message 19/23             19-May-98  @  03:26 PM   -   RE: maxisound home studio pro 64

pilarsw

Dear All

I have "Maxi Sound Pro", and I'm going to add the SW60XG card from Yamaha (the DB50XG is not available in Poland).
Did You have any experience with this marriage. If it is work O.K. I think that SW60XG should produce a better quality sounds because I can connect the output from SW60XG to the digital input of MaxiSound omiiting the Codec whis has woese dynamic.

Cheers
Wojtek

Message 20/23             20-May-98  @  02:47 PM   -   RE: maxisound home studio pro 64

Clemens.Kurtz

Hi!

It should work fine cos the SW60XG needs NO (!) IRQ and
DMA sources.

A friend of mine has the combination AWE64 and SW60XG
at work without any pronlems. So I think there should be
no probs with Maxi PRO and SW60XG.

Ciao

Clemens

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)