aaa Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 20-Jul-98  @  12:27 AM   -   Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

J.

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I read a quote from an article that stood in "Elektronik Världen", a swedish hifi/electronics consumer mag. They'd tested a buncha soundcards and the conclusion was the following (whereas C-labs concerned): the soundblaster vibra actually outperfoms the goldcard. The signal-to.noise of the vibra was tested at ca. 80 db. whilst the gold at ca. 74db. And the vibra had also much better linearity. (I think that the vibra is c-labs less expenisive card, dunno but that though...). Thought you ought to know.

Anyways, my advice is buy a cheaper card (vibra, daytona etc.) or save up to an event (a.o.) card something; don't go for the in-between coz you'll probably end up regretting it. My 2 cents for u.

J.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/22             23-Jul-98  @  12:38 PM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

Astroman

Ohhhh.. ok... I thought you meant the graphics monitor... the thing you're looking at now.... I guess I could see how a soundcard could conceivably ruin speakers...

Message 12/22             23-Jul-98  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

Will

Astroman, I heard the Montego has no line out - only the crappy "speaker" output for games players and desktop speakers. Surely you gotta get some mad hiss due to the noisy internal amplifier- Or do you have the S/PDIF board?

Message 13/22             23-Jul-98  @  09:36 PM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

Astroman

I dont know if its a line out or speaker out.... I know theres only one out... but it doesnt matter cause whatever it is there is honestly NO hiss at all.... the sound quality is awesome... like I mentioned above... and no, Im not useing the s/pdif (the digital out is a seperate add on that hasnt even been released yet). You can check out all the specs for this board at www.tbeach.com

Message 14/22             23-Jul-98  @  10:51 PM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

Will

Cool. Clean audio for me! Cheers Astroman

Message 15/22             24-Jul-98  @  02:18 AM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

kilo

well, maybe there were no IRQ's left over so the card didnt install

Message 16/22             24-Jul-98  @  03:25 AM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

Astro

Yup... IRQs will do it everytime. Gotta get those straightened out. Thanks god for the PCI bus... I just discovered they can actually share IRQs...

Message 17/22             24-Jul-98  @  03:28 AM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

About yamaha SW1000XG

Anyone know when this will be released? The specs sound fantastic, but is it vaporware?

dudkat@earthlink.net

Message 18/22             25-Jul-98  @  02:40 AM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

kilo

it's out now isnt it??......

Message 19/22             12-Aug-98  @  05:51 AM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

chamberweed

Is there any way to quiet down the hum the harddrive, internal fan etc... sends to audio? Could it be improper grounding on my system? I have a Yamaha OPL3-A soundcard, could this be the problem? One of you experts please give me the lowdown. thanks, Barry

Message 20/22             06-Sep-98  @  03:03 PM   -   RE: Twink twice before buying an AWE 64 gold

sykes

AWE64 Works fine for me - OK. I'll take everyone's point that it is noisy, but for me that's good because the kind of music I'm doing is dirty and I welcome all the interference and noise I can get!!!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)