aaa THEORY? HELP!! - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: THEORY? HELP!!

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 16-Mar-00  @  06:43 PM   -   THEORY? HELP!!

Rage01

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm new to all this theory stuff where could i go to learn the basics for free and on the internet(i have a printer).I know chords buts i have'nt got a clue what they are as i taught myself by ear(there probably not even chords just scales or something!!)Heres one chord/scale i learned am i on the right track?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/27             18-Mar-00  @  03:17 PM   -   RE: THEORY? HELP!!

nobody

Link?:  Link

damballah: i was just saying to they guy that might see there's new messages in the thread! ooh~maybe there's useful info there.. yeah, i was saying to him that that's not what i were up ta. UP ALL NIGHT!! 3 pm now. try & stop me. and no, i think that there are some people that know things, and there are those that think they know things, and there's me, who does things, all the time, totally seperate from thought... 'THOUGHT is never a reason to do ANYthing' yeah.. that old 'we know nothing' yeah... yeah yeah...... how's Missoura sir??

Message 12/27             18-Mar-00  @  03:52 PM   -   RE: THEORY? HELP!!

damballah

It's the ahmpit of Amerikkkah, suh!

Message 13/27             18-Mar-00  @  05:04 PM   -   RE: THEORY? HELP!!

nobody

so.. what..... lots of deodorant factories?? how would you classify new england in that system?? i'm interested..

Message 14/27             18-Mar-00  @  05:57 PM   -   RE: THEORY? HELP!!

damballah

Deodorant factories? Not that I know of. There's a Tums factory and a beer factory and a warplane factory. Go figure...

>>how would you classify new england in that system??

I dunno. How would you? You live there. How close to Baaahston ahhh you? This was all covered it that one thread where that Florida jackoff was threatening you, wasn't it? (Uh-oh, now I've done it). Actually, Boston's the only part of New England I've been to (unless you count Amtrak between Boston and NYC... nice coastline). Almost moved there once, a band I was working with wanted to make it big, so they pulled up roots here and moved to Somerville, MA. They got some good press and toured the east a lot but ended up just as broke in a more expensive part of the country. Oh, well...

Message 15/27             22-Mar-00  @  11:04 AM   -   RE: THEORY? HELP!!

nobody

weel, dambahlalaa..

i'm down in CT, bou 3 hrs ferm baahstin. good skateboarding up there. *wipes tear from eye* bah. got me some new skate trucks! hooray! hello to chameleon man & his lizard friends. triangle man, hates person man. they have a fight, triangle wins. triangle man.

Message 16/27             22-Mar-00  @  10:52 PM   -   RE: THEORY? HELP!!

k

you dont have to spend lots - get the standard Royal College of Music theory grade book... it is small (pocket size) & cheap and covers everything you need to know

Message 17/27             23-Mar-00  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: THEORY? HELP!!

Rage01

Thanks

Message 18/27             23-Mar-00  @  03:49 PM   -   RE: THEORY? HELP!!

Rage01

Thanks

Message 19/27             25-Mar-00  @  07:51 AM   -   RE: THEORY? HELP!!

sitar

Yea. I don't have the time to do a search with my job being so consuming right now. There are a lot of good and cheap books on theory. K's suggestion is probably an excellent choice. You need to understand notes, there values on the staff tonally and rythmically. It's very easy. Just takes some getting used to. If you have that basic knowledge then go for a book or internet site on either harmony or counterpoint. Counterpoint is basically about putting 2 or 3 melodies down so that they sound the way you want them to while played at the same time. Harmony is generally counterpoint with 4 voices instead of 2 or 3. There are rules to both, which are definately meant to be broken. But it can be helpful to know the rules because you'll also know the purpose for their existence.

Message 20/27             25-Mar-00  @  07:53 AM   -   RE: THEORY? HELP!!

sitar

Also, there's gotta be used bookstores in your area where you can pick these things up for a song...pun intended.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)