aaa House And Garage Patterns - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: House And Garage Patterns

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 14-Dec-99  @  03:12 PM   -   House And Garage Patterns

scottr

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm intrested in learning how to get a good garage sound, if anyone has any patterns they would be of great help. thanks.

cali

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/33             16-Dec-99  @  02:04 PM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

ModAsBlue

K

Yeah, I know...but I was tired and cranky. It's just that I've been listening to a few REALLY GOOD mixtapes that I picked of from a few parties.

This Chicago DJ - (Traxx) - spins this bomb-ass shit...it's what I would call garage/rare groove type shit. It's all piano/bass/lyric based and its got these women who can fucking sing. A year ago I would have abhorred that shit but...

I think his shit is heavily sampled based from this whole world of "old school disco/funk" of which I am totally too young to understand. I think that they are sampled because it just sounds a lot less clean than the stuff on that web site, which is good to me..it adds a lo-budget credibility factor.

Anyway...

Danielski...

Yeah, you gotta throw things off a little if you want real house. Using triplets also adds authenticity (not playing all three, but say, moving the last 16th note of each beat to the3rd triplet right after it - on 96 ppq it's clock 80 instead of 72).

But, I usually just go with computer accuracy and make death-disco (<-that's supposed to be funny...umm..I guess)

Message 12/33             16-Dec-99  @  02:04 PM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

ModAsBlue

K

Yeah, I know...but I was tired and cranky. It's just that I've been listening to a few REALLY GOOD mixtapes that I picked of from a few parties.

This Chicago DJ - (Traxx) - spins this bomb-ass shit...it's what I would call garage/rare groove type shit. It's all piano/bass/lyric based and its got these women who can fucking sing. A year ago I would have abhorred that shit but...

I think his shit is heavily sampled based from this whole world of "old school disco/funk" of which I am totally too young to understand. I think that they are sampled because it just sounds a lot less clean than the stuff on that web site, which is good to me..it adds a lo-budget credibility factor.

Anyway...

Danielski...

Yeah, you gotta throw things off a little if you want real house. Using triplets also adds authenticity (not playing all three, but say, moving the last 16th note of each beat to the3rd triplet right after it - on 96 ppq it's clock 80 instead of 72).

But, I usually just go with computer accuracy and make death-disco (<-that's supposed to be funny...umm..I guess)

Message 13/33             27-Dec-99  @  01:22 AM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

ATARI315

HEY JOHN, THANKS FOR THE LINK. AND FOR ALL OF YOU THAT HAD NEGATIVITY ON YOUR MINDS WHEN YOU CHECKED THAT SITE OF HISTORICAL HOUSE, (DEAD UP...IM SERIOUS), YOU GOTTA KNOW WHERE YOU CAME FROM IN ORDER TO KNOW WHERE YOURE GOING. THATS THE UNDERGROUND SHIT, NOT THE TWEAKY GUIDO GARBAGE SOME OF YOU LIKE TO CALL HOUSE.

Message 14/33             14-Jan-00  @  10:42 PM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

ahmebah

Hrmm... maybe it's just because I've never really heard any proper garage, but, those posted drums look preeety much like your everday, garden variety house music, the chant might make it drawing-room, but I was under the impression that there was something different about garage...

Message 15/33             15-Jan-00  @  12:31 AM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

jojo the dog faced boy

I too have never really heard garage , or if i had heard it, never known what it was ( probbly assuming it was yet another UK house phenomenon, which i don't really care about ) , so...

What does it sound like ?

Message 16/33             21-Jan-00  @  09:06 PM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

SB

Can anyone post a 2 step garage pattern (midi)?

Message 17/33             22-Jan-00  @  01:12 PM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

k

soon come i'm gonna post a load of them soon...

but for our US cousins lets just clarify here .... we are talking about UK Garage - what was called Speed-garage when it first appeared... It's a London thing.. heh heh.. has anyone gone out on the M4 motorway, when you approach london, there is a sign saying.. "London", (surprise) and someones sprayed 'THING' under it..., but now in the uk people just say 'garage', and they dropped the 'speed' bit... it's NOTHING like house at all... well, there are relationships, but the drum structure is totally different, here are various varieties and feels, and it has a swing, it can incorporate jungle type licks etc in the beats on some variations, also heavey turntablist work in live sets... to me it is the most interesting drum programing out there at the moment along with some of the dancehall crossovers... some of the programming is fierce -

Message 18/33             24-Jan-00  @  11:51 AM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

scottr

Word, I'd just like to thank the people out there, ESP "k" for their help, sometimes i'll start a converstaion here and get nothing but garbage from idiots who know nothing about producing except how to put it down, however every so often i see another serious producer w/ their head in the right place helping out, thanks alot and im totally looking foward to seeing some new licks (i'll also be posting my new patterns one the new 2x12" is out)

peace

Message 19/33             27-Feb-00  @  11:56 PM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

Shogun4

Yes, this is great a speed garage thread. I love Garage, but I have never tried making, there is something about thous beats that intimidate me. But i would love to see some more grids. please kilo!!!

Message 20/33             28-Feb-00  @  02:09 AM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

k

you cant do it on thiose grids cos there is no ability to push notes of-beat... i'll have to post some file.. but my machine finally fell over after nearly 4 faithful years of service.. i'm typing this on an NT server! - you'll have to wait.. look why doesnt someone tape a few bars of a beat off the FM radio in lo-fi, convert it to RA audio at 28.8-mono (NOT a .rm file) then start a restricted forum over on the main chatroom, and you can add a file.. just add the ra file, and iut should auto-create a ramfile & link...

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 33 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)