aaa the portishead track "mystrieons" snare rolls - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: the portishead track "mystrieons" snare rolls

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 12-Jun-00  @  12:58 PM   -   the portishead track

thomas

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I recently got in to producing some kind of downbeat/trip-hop music.

The song I am currently working on is needing some of the military march type snare rolls that can be found on the portishead song "mysterions". I have tried to recreate the beat but it only sounds stiff and wrong. The snare rolls get to static and it sounds more like 10 snares playing very fast then one snare roll. I usually dont have any problems doing the beats I want but this one just sounds wrong. Please help me.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/23             16-Jun-00  @  05:32 PM   -   RE: the portishead track

r-tek

he he, the MPC is untouchable 4 drums methinks. Being able 2 get yer hats 2 cancel eachother out is a big plus too..........as is being able 2 fuck around with individual hits filtering, attack and decay from the step edit page.

Message 12/23             16-Jun-00  @  06:36 PM   -   RE: the portishead track

Rhea

Link?:  Link

Yeah! Could not do without.

Message 13/23             17-Jun-00  @  06:53 AM   -   RE: the portishead track

r-tek

swing quantise is nice 4 shuffles and stuff too - but why the hell dont akai advertise these points? I don`t understand, u go 2 their website and they make virtually no mention of these things, its crazy. U speak 2 any confirmed user and they`re always the things they covet the most about this box but akai don`t ven seem 2 b aware of it   Pimilk - its the akai mpc - a HW sequencer/samplingdrumbox with some drumpads, a much maligned machine by those that dont know.

Ok errrrr........sorry, on with the snare rolls.

Message 14/23             17-Jun-00  @  10:27 AM   -   RE: the portishead track

pimilk

Wow, MPC sounds cool.

Dare I ask how much $$$ ?

Message 15/23             19-Jun-00  @  09:17 AM   -   RE: the portishead track

jojo the dogfaced boy

you better dare not ...
from my end of the world costly as fuck ....
High end piece of machine that mpc thing not for the faint hearted of the budget conscious. serious studio work only ... but with the dosh...
(drool drool gurn drool)
wish i had one
but first i need a sampler and a serious synth and this effects unit and a 16 channel mixxer and preamps galore and this and that and the kitchen sink plus plunger and added sponge.

methink
Kitchen sink two timbral instrument (both sinks)
optional plug and scrubbing brush

Message 16/23             19-Jun-00  @  10:46 AM   -   RE: the portishead track

Jasper

to copy a loops 'rythm groove' in logic, open the audio editor.. load in your loop and then in one of the menu's at the top there is a 'groove machine' option..

in there.. you can set the sensitivity etc..

Message 17/23             19-Jun-00  @  01:01 PM   -   RE: the portishead track

thomas

Tried all kind of diffrent tricks but i dont seem to get further. I am going for the chopped drumloop approach. One problem i have is to find a good drum loop, alla trip hop loops on the internet more sound as downpitched hip-hip loop or the funky drummer break. Anyone know were to get a rolling trip-hop drum loop filled with stepping snares?

Message 18/23             19-Jun-00  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: the portishead track

Rhea

Link?: Link

Yeah,

try buying a couple of records from Chuck Mangione. He features the sickest Jazz drum solos on most of his songs. Full of fills, rolls, and everything in between. Sampled him many times. Great stuff if you are looking for insane drumming.

Peace

Message 19/23             24-Jun-00  @  01:03 AM   -   RE: the portishead track

lesterbeat

I don't know the song you mentioned but my snare rolls
(in triphop) start sounding hip when i put delay on
the

Message 20/23             17-Aug-00  @  10:04 PM   -   RE: the portishead track

dedguy9

I haven't heard that song either but I have made some killer sounding drum rolls by manualy programing in 128th notes slightly offset from the reast of the beat. 128th notes can add a really freaky human touch to your rhythms

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)