aaa Getting a groove - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Getting a groove

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 20-Jul-00  @  09:12 AM   -   Getting a groove

Gee

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

A good groove is still eluding me, I think its because what I`m trying to do requires alot more skill.
How should a beginner approach making a Groove, the basics of the basics......I`m desperate to make an amazing groove that loops forever without me getting an impulse to smash the monitors, uh , lets not get carried away,......

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/21             24-Jul-00  @  03:16 AM   -   RE: Getting a groove

Gee

Fantastic !!!I want to get my hands on one, hopefully soon...

Message 12/21             24-Jul-00  @  03:21 AM   -   RE: Getting a groove

catalyst

I know, I know, it looks stupidly simple and it is. Have f# hold for a quarter note and gate the closed H.H. Record whatever you feel like adding on, in real time and quantize at 16 1/3. Step record later (if you do step), build slowly. Trust me, it's a good start. Sometimes when you don't have a groove it's good to give yourself a simple template to work off of, simplify. Go to the base of your idea. If you know the (or a) simple base to start from the rest is at your finger tips. If you don't like this one, make one for yourself. $0.02

Message 13/21             24-Jul-00  @  06:10 AM   -   RE: Getting a groove

Jasper

oh baby!

a bit more expensive than I was hoping for though!

the tom triggers sound good though.

Message 14/21             24-Jul-00  @  04:56 PM   -   RE: Getting a groove

k

just use a small mic on each drum, if you got two tandy (radio-shak) PZM's, you can remove the plate and you're left with a tiny little mic.. you can fix that with epoxy resin blob inside the drum shell up by the head.

the =cable will trail out.. if you like you can cut the lead, and wire the two parts with a male & female XLR connector to be smart.. otherwqise those tandy PZM's have quite a long thin lead.

ok.. make sure you use 9V pp batteries (see TIPS & TRICKS section for why & how)... ok, then you need a BRAIN unit (which you'd have to buy anyways)... that is where the incoming voltage pulses coming from the mic get translated into midi velocity data, and you set the channel, note number etc... yamaha did an excellent one you can find second hand - those pzm's are like 25-30 quid each in the UK

Message 15/21             24-Jul-00  @  05:48 PM   -   RE: Getting a groove

Jasper

what was the yamaha one called?

and how are you managing to get paragraphs? html?

Message 16/21             25-Jul-00  @  04:53 PM   -   RE: Getting a groove

yams

Dont' you press the carriage return twice...

Anyway bongos sound cool but they cost money, especially the lion skin ones. So i can take it that making a groove with your teeth isn't enough. :P

Message 17/21             25-Jul-00  @  06:02 PM   -   RE: Getting a groove

sox

Link?:  Link

I think k's referring to the Yamaha PMC-5 drum trigger converter. 8 xlr pad inputs, MIDI a+b outs, 5 notes max per trigger input, DX7 memory cartridges.
I haven't seen one around for a few years but it is a serious machine. The Akai drum trigger unit is worth about £90 and is far more common in the secondhand shops.

Message 18/21             25-Jul-00  @  09:54 PM   -   RE: Getting a groove

damballah

Link?: Link

PAIA has a midi drum brain kit. I think you can use little piezos as triggers, too. That's what was in Simmons. A band I work with that toured some used Simmons (it was the 80s, OK) and we had a box full of Radio Shack piezos and we'd be gluing and soldering those things every couple nights in some crappy hotel roo.

Message 19/21             25-Jul-00  @  11:03 PM   -   RE: Getting a groove

damballah

damn, that wasn't much of an endorsement, was it?

Message 20/21             26-Jul-00  @  08:13 AM   -   RE: Getting a groove

nobody

soldering???????????

i'm there  

my lovely fumes

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)