aaa timbo drum programming - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

30-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: timbo drum programming

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 02-Sep-00  @  03:52 PM   -   timbo drum programming

slant i

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

can we get rid of all the posers and get down to some
real tips concerning timberlands drum programming? i don't think there is anyone out there who wants to be timberlands' clone. What we all are looking for is the
formula on how he composes some of his stuff.(and don't
tell me it's not a formula because if you look long enough you'll notice the pattern) I personally like what he's doing but wish to expound on it. So those in the know please point the misguided in the right direction and posers pleeeeasssse stop wasting time and
energy stringing along people with b.s. and half truths
which you know nothing about. True beatmasters please
come save the day and wanna beees step da F#@k OFF!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/24             09-Sep-00  @  04:52 AM   -   RE: timbo drum programming

k

the other thing is i can hear right away from listening to that list, he seems to have this triplet feel in his drops and programming - it's hard to explain without a file, but the threetime is working hard in alot of those beats, and it made me wonder if he ever programmes his beats in 3 time but over bars to resolve it to 4 time for the beat, but that 3 time feel is very strong

Message 12/24             09-Sep-00  @  04:58 AM   -   RE: timbo drum programming

k

yup, well i'd say if you want to know the timbaland secrets, study carribean music, especially dancehall... cos thats the influence i can hear

Message 13/24             09-Sep-00  @  11:09 AM   -   RE: timbo drum programming

arska

Link?: Link

i also thought dancehall, but i really haven't heard alot of it. What is the common defining feature in dancehall riddims? is there any? it's hard to pinpoint t they are mind bogglingly varied!

The site above has dancehall riddims, but in low quality; i tried for instance figure out the "street sweeper" beat but just couldn't - could anybody clarify it; k maybe? It's a truly great beat! Also it seems to loop oddly, like 5 or 10 bars - can it be

Message 14/24             09-Sep-00  @  11:11 AM   -   RE: timbo drum programming

k

File?:  File

timbaland_1.mid

ok, so using thayt ragga/dancehall feel/tempo the beats are coming in at 180-186 bpm sorta speed, which halved gives you the nrmal hip-hop tempo area.... doubling up the beat like that is used for two things, getting a higher res where the sequencer doesnt support it, and also to get that fast triplet dancehall feel so characterised by carribean music - so does timba live near the carribean then - whatever, i reckon he came out of dancehall reggea programming by the sound of it, cos pretty much everyhting he's doing sounds like it's coming from that... anyways, here's a file to give you a guide to whats happening - if you follow that feel, then you get all the little kik motifs and snare roll breaks etc. - here's a file

Message 15/24             09-Sep-00  @  11:12 AM   -   RE: timbo drum programming

arska

shit, the link didn't work it's a site called "jamaican riddim directory" by Selector or Selecta, try with google or altavista

Message 16/24             09-Sep-00  @  11:14 AM   -   RE: timbo drum programming

k

yeah, i listened to all those examples today, all dancehall feel.. 100%

Message 17/24             09-Sep-00  @  11:15 AM   -   RE: timbo drum programming

k

i cant load that page link (dancehall) by the way, the browser starts to load it, then bums out on an error

Message 18/24             09-Sep-00  @  11:16 AM   -   RE: timbo drum programming

arska

Link?: Link

how about this

Message 19/24             09-Sep-00  @  11:22 AM   -   RE: timbo drum programming

arska

he, listened to that "street sweeper" it starts in brutally simple way ... it isn't that complex but it's hard to hear i real audio what happens

Message 20/24             10-Sep-00  @  07:24 PM   -   RE: timbo drum programming

k

well that riddim is like your bog standard dancehall riddim but pruned down, so there is no hats, sub-bassdrum etc etc .. the snare overlay is like one of your classic reggea 'military' riff that used to grace alot of older dub tracks where all those snare riff's come from, again..... 3 time, count that 3 time over the beat and you'll hear the beat's construction straight away...

1,2,3 - 1,2,3 - 1,2,3 - 1,2,3 - 1,2 - 1,2 = 16

once you are counting that, you'll see how the snare roll motif comes from the 3-time ripple -

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)