aaa raid - any point? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: raid - any point?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 28-Nov-02  @  10:58 PM   -   raid - any point?

bedwyr

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

i'm thinking of getting an asus a7v333 (coz i got an asus a7v now, and it works) but the a7v333 comes in two versions - onbaoard raid or not.

shall i bother? any point?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/24             29-Nov-02  @  03:24 PM   -   RE: raid - any point?

k

yup - use the 2700 and you need to set the bios for it - I'm right in the middle of preparing the second article 'cheap athlon build - boot to bios' for the pc-build article, there's just a couple of settings to tweak in the bios.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 12/24             29-Nov-02  @  10:51 PM     Edit: 29-Nov-02  |  10:55 PM   -   RE: raid - any point?

bedwyr

Link?: Link

thanks again. i'll look into what steve said though coz it's looking like i'll need every bit of speed i can get hold of.

... damn i just been reading the spec and it seems that the a7v333 has a 266/200 FSB and has only been tested with pc2700 sticks up to 256mb from a handfull of manufacturers. i'm gonna look for another board. am i?

oh, i don't get it. it's on the amd recommended mobo list for the xp 2700+ 333 FSB.

aaaarrrghhh!

Message 13/24             30-Nov-02  @  01:31 AM     Edit: 30-Nov-02  |  01:44 AM   -   RE: raid - any point?

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

Bedwyr, if you want a rock-solid board, go for ABit. I have set up several PCs for friends etc., and the ABit motherboards have been absolutely fantastic. I haven't had to tweak, or alter them once after they have been configured. Trust me! They are a very safe bet. As for Asus, the boards have a good name, but personally I feel that they are over-rated and extremely over-priced for what you get. Generally. they are stable boards, but they aren't very fancy. Volvo's of the mobo world if you like. Also, check out the Gigabyte mobo's. I am running one myself, and apart from the soft-synth problem that I am having (which may not even be due to the motherboard), it is as stable as a gigantic bolder on flat ground. And I have pushed this set up till I get app crashes, and the Gigabyte doesn't even heat up.

Oh, and another tip, try to steer clear of Via if possible. It's no real biggy, but if you can get an AMD North Bridge chipset, they are at the higher end of chipset design and there have been less problems with them. They perform as well as the Intel-I chipsets, and aren't developed on work-arounds like the Via's. (Via have had a lot of problems with their chipsets and instead of fixing the problems, their general approach seems to be to develop a quick fix to the problem. I don't trust them).

Regards.

Steve.

Message 14/24             30-Nov-02  @  11:54 AM   -   RE: raid - any point?

bedwyr

hmm, all the amd recommended mobos for their faster processors are via though, and i know there was shit in the past, but i never had any trouble with mine. anyhow, i'm still looking around.

Message 15/24             02-Dec-02  @  01:06 PM   -   RE: raid - any point?

Si

Wait a couple of weeks for the new nForce2 boards - they're very fast, and shouldn't really be too expensive. Asus have one already, A7N8X or something. Quite a bit faster than anything (for AMD) on the market at the moment.

Message 16/24             02-Dec-02  @  01:13 PM   -   RE: raid - any point?

bedwyr

yeah, i was looking at that one. can't really wait 2 weeks though. ta.

Message 17/24             02-Dec-02  @  06:19 PM   -   RE: raid - any point?

99devils

Be careful with bleeding edge chipsets. Stability and compatibility are the keys for audio. Let someone else be the guinea pig  

-Craig

Message 18/24             03-Dec-02  @  06:34 AM   -   RE: raid - any point?

psylichon

[nod in craig's general direction]

I've said this before. You already got my mobo recommendation (ECS K7S5A), with 1600 Athlon for $100. you could spend twice as much on a motherboard if you want, but I'd take the proven reliability of my mobo over a 2% increase in memory performance. Besides, a united north and south bridge in one SiS 735 ic means the fastest booter on the market. It's been AROUND. A LONG time for a MB design. But BIOS updates keep it fresh.

I know you probably already ordered your shit, but for those who haven't...

psy

Message 19/24             03-Dec-02  @  09:26 AM     Edit: 03-Dec-02  |  09:30 AM   -   RE: raid - any point?

bedwyr

i haven't ordered nothing! i don't do ordering, darling  

i got 'til monday to make my mind up.

Message 20/24             03-Dec-02  @  09:39 AM   -   RE: raid - any point?

psylichon

till monday, eh? you dealin' with the mafia or something?

:}

psy

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)