aaa about dedicated audio drives... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: about dedicated audio drives...

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 14-Jul-03  @  05:52 PM   -   about dedicated audio drives...

knowa

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

everyone seems to agree that it's best to have your apps on the main (C) drive and a second drive dedicated to audio files.

but will I get this performance gain if I use the internal hard drive as my back-up, and load/stream, samples and files from an external firewire drive? i.e. is it the PRESENCE of audio files on the system drive or thier USE that is not recommended?

thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/22             17-Jul-03  @  04:16 PM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

knowa

Link?:  Link

yes lacie d2 seems to be the one. thanks.

Message 12/22             19-Jul-03  @  03:23 PM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

manthra

Link?:  No link

Im to lazy to start a new thread so I ask you here, what´s the best (in your opinion) internal (IDE?) drive for audio? I will probably use only one drive for everything, so maybe a 10.000 rpm drive? I typically use 16 to 24 audiotracks. Will my system be a bottleneck for audio data, using a drive faster that 7 200 rpm.

Also, is RAID-0 any good?

spec: P4 1.4 (400mhz bus, 256kb cache)
384 mb RDRAM (400mhz) (soon 700+)

Message 13/22             19-Jul-03  @  04:43 PM     Edit: 19-Jul-03  |  04:44 PM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

psylichon

Link?: Link

you're thinking about it too much. A good 7200 rpm SerialATA drive (or ATA133, 150 whatever) will do ya fine. I don't even think they make IDE drives with faster platters than 7200, but I could be wrong.

SCSI is all but dead in the home studio PC world. And Raid is overkill unless it's data reliability you're going for instead of speed. You will run out of processor headroom way before you run out of disk bandwidth, trust me.

I recommend one of the newer Maxtor or Western Digital drives with the 8MB cache. I've noticed my new one is considerably faster than my other drives.

psy

Message 14/22             19-Jul-03  @  07:44 PM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

Influx

have yet to see a 10k IDE drive

Message 15/22             21-Jul-03  @  01:55 PM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

99devils

Maxtors. I've been using them exclusively for about 3 years now and they're the fastest drives for the money, and I've yet to have one die on me. I can't say that about IBM or Western Digital.

-Craig

Message 16/22             23-Jul-03  @  04:05 PM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

Iceberg

Let me clear something up. there are 10k ide drives out now. scsi is not by any means dead. Why in the world would you think that considering there transfer rates are faster than IDE. I use scsi everyday in my studio and they are the best. firewire drives work great. Lets not talk about stuff we have no idea about fella's.

Message 17/22             23-Jul-03  @  05:10 PM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

soup dog

Link?:  No link

the art thug hath spoken

Message 18/22             23-Jul-03  @  09:33 PM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

99devils

Erm.. OK.

But seriously, an ATA-100 drive can stream more tracks than you'll likely need.

-Craig

Message 19/22             24-Jul-03  @  01:32 AM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

psylichon

When's the last time you bought a SCSI drive? Did you order it from a Mac store?

If not, how long did it take them to special order it for you?

Message 20/22             24-Jul-03  @  02:05 PM   -   RE: about dedicated audio drives...

99devils

They still use them on servers where maximum throughput is required. And SCSI has the advantage of not needing resources from the host machine to operate. But still, IDE is so much cheaper and it's plenty fast enough for music uses. And you don't have to futz with another card in the machine.

When USB arrived for my S6K I very happily said goodbye to SCSI  

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)