aaa gosh durn blue screen on boot - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: gosh durn blue screen on boot

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 05-Nov-03  @  08:31 AM   -   gosh durn blue screen on boot

influx

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

ok..made some changes recently to the audio box.

added 512mb ram
new processor athlon XP2400
added, or rather replaced, a hard drive

theres two IDE hds running, one 20gig for apps, one 80gig partitioned for audio/backup

so...it was all working great...but, now, when its booting I get a blue screen that says something along the lines of "hardware malfunction. please contact your hardware manufacturer. system has halted"

the first time it did it I just hard reset and fired up...then tonight it did it twice before firing up, and now...wont boot to windows

I tried disconnecting the additional drive, took out a RAM chip, etc...but still

SO...it seems it might be the 20gig causing problems...

my question is this...when I put the new drive in, I used partition magic to delete/merge a partition that was on the 20 gig, where it used to be C/E drive, i made it just C:

Ive read that PM can cause some funny shit...could that be it?

anyone?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/23             07-Nov-03  @  12:52 PM   -   RE: gosh durn blue screen on boot

k

Link?: Link

if you've a spare drive, who not connect it, do a quick OS install & see if it runs...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 12/23             07-Nov-03  @  04:26 PM   -   RE: gosh durn blue screen on boot

Yonce N Mild

Link?:  No link

Hate to say it but sounds like a bad motherboard.............do you get any beeps at startup.............if you do you could check them against the beep codes for your bios.

Message 13/23             07-Nov-03  @  09:33 PM   -   RE: gosh durn blue screen on boot

influx

pretty sure the mobo is fine

funny thing is, after installing driver updates for the MoBo, and flashing the bios, Ive not gotten a blue screen yet.

seems fixed..but..heh...Im nervous now.

Message 14/23             10-Nov-03  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: gosh durn blue screen on boot

Yonce N Mild

Link?:  No link

Maybe the driver for your IDE controler got corrupted somehow ?

Message 15/23             11-Nov-03  @  06:38 PM   -   RE: gosh durn blue screen on boot

influx

could be, could be!

havent had the problem since...

heh. other weird shit, but...such is the life of a PC studio, eh?

Message 16/23             24-Nov-03  @  09:50 PM   -   RE: gosh durn blue screen on boot

Influx

fucking ridiculous. got aNOTHER new ram chip, and it did it again

Message 17/23             28-Dec-03  @  02:48 AM   -   RE: gosh durn blue screen on boot

Influx

I figured it out.

both 512mb ram chips were from the same manufacturer (mushkin) and both were PC2100 DDR, but the recently purchased one was an "enhanced" version so for whatever reason, having them both in the mobo at the same time created a conflict

odd

Message 18/23             28-Dec-03  @  04:40 AM   -   RE: gosh durn blue screen on boot

psylichon

well duuuuuuuuh!

Message 19/23             28-Dec-03  @  07:08 PM   -   RE: gosh durn blue screen on boot

Influx

heh. piss off.

not my fault that mushkin changed their entry level line 

Im sending back the old stick, claiming its the new one and is faulty. hopefully they wont notice and will just send me a new one

Message 20/23             06-Jan-04  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: gosh durn blue screen on boot

Influx

HA!

after talking extensively with a Mushkin tech...the problem SEEMS to be narrowed down to the timing of the RAM

MoBo was set to "FAST" operation...

changed it to normal, and changed a couple settings, and all seems to work

jesus this wasnt fun

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)