aaa THEORY? HELP!! - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

27-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: THEORY? HELP!!

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 16-Mar-00  @  06:43 PM   -   THEORY? HELP!!

Rage01

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm new to all this theory stuff where could i go to learn the basics for free and on the internet(i have a printer).I know chords buts i have'nt got a clue what they are as i taught myself by ear(there probably not even chords just scales or something!!)Heres one chord/scale i learned am i on the right track?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/27             31-Mar-00  @  05:49 PM   -   RE: THEORY? HELP!!

Rage01

Ok here is the scale properly(i hope) what kind of chords etc can i get out of it. i also know a similar chord where the E is D# I learnt this one by copying riffs on from a lot of old platipus tunes.Whats the chord used in the prodigys tune "no good start the dance? i can play it but when i go up and down the scale it just dosen't work! its very similar to the i described above.

Message 22/27             01-Apr-00  @  04:07 AM   -   RE: THEORY? HELP!!

cjbmusictheory

Although I reckon you can just do what the hell you like with electronic music, it's hard if not impossible to come up with some nice complicated parts that make you think without knowing all the scales and dat.
If you still can't afford a book, I've got this little chart I made with all the chords, minor chords, diminished, augmented, 7th's etc . . . . .
It's got all the key signatures on it too. In fact, I've got quite a few little reference bits in Word format.
One really nice chord sequence is the one from Paupa New Guinea. It goes like this -:
------------------------
Fmin (F Ab C)
Fmin
Ab (Ab C Eb)
Bb (Bb D F)
------------------------......ad infinitum

If you want a copy of the chord reference chart drop me an Email and I'll send it over. Send me any half decent chord patterns you find!

Message 23/27             01-Apr-00  @  10:54 AM   -   RE: THEORY? HELP!!

damballah

Link?:  Link

You changed it to an F scale. Here's your basic chords, no extensions (7, 9, 11, 13, etc.)

Message 24/27             01-Apr-00  @  12:48 PM   -   RE: THEORY? HELP!!

Rage01

Yeah i kind of figured them out already with a few misplaced notes here and there,Here is a chord i'm curenntly using in one of my tracks.Is this right its just for the string section i have riffs and basslines to to go with it.Each chord plays for 4 bars in a 8 bar loop with resonence and cut off to give it a twirling effect...

1st 4 bars with d2 being pressed gently every bar at each 1/4...........

Message 25/27             01-Apr-00  @  12:53 PM   -   RE: THEORY? HELP!!

Rage01

the same just transposed down with c2 being pressed at each 1/4.I would try to display the riff but i think its its rather good so i'll be holding on to it for a while.I think these chords sound ok but the bass is finding it hard to harmonise(it goes in D for 4 bars and C for 4 in a kind of acid style with the odd offset here and there)

Message 26/27             01-Apr-00  @  12:57 PM   -   RE: THEORY? HELP!!

Rage01

whats all this Sevenths and fifths you keep mentioning this is news to me!!!!!!!(djb i'll email you in a day or two)

Message 27/27             02-Apr-00  @  06:39 PM   -   RE: THEORY? HELP!!

pawl

"Here are the rules, there are no rules."

Remember that a lot of dance music defies the rules, So it's ok to do things like play a minor chord over a major scale etc... that also applies to most types of music. The more rules defied the more interesting the music imho.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)