aaa reason beware - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: reason beware

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 04-Aug-03  @  04:18 AM   -   reason beware

Broken Silence

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Brand new virtual studio progie that's ALOT like reason..check the pics

Also, it's only 79$-

Ultrano Homepage

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/41             13-Aug-03  @  02:10 PM   -   RE: reason beware

beds

Link?:  Link

you can access the forums no problem, only about 10 threads on there though, and even less posts.

Message 32/41             13-Aug-03  @  06:32 PM   -   RE: reason beware

spectre1

Link?:  No link

"You need to be able to at least hear what people think of the proggie before buying it- the forums shouldn't be a little club for people who own it."

Kind of reminds me of Fruity Loops. I wasn't ever really into the whole software studio thing, but had considered buying it because it was cheap and just to add a different workflow to my set-up for when I was bored. But the whole closed forum thing and seeing how the developers would go to other forums and talk sh it and get in fights with people who complained about FL's just turned me off.

Message 33/41             14-Aug-03  @  11:55 AM   -   RE: reason beware

k

it's been updated apparently

Message 34/41             14-Aug-03  @  12:27 PM   -   RE: reason beware

k

installed the update... again, after a few minutes ONLY when clicking on outputs it locked up the whole pc and I had to hard boot it.

opened it again after re-boot, STOPPED it playing, opened IE and went to this site, went to re-activate the already open help file and it locked the machine again to a hard-boot

I have some criticisms regardless of that lock-up:

1. the OUTPUT sockets etc seem to do nothing visualy... you REALLY need a proper display to show a connection has been made as currently it's mumbo-jumbo

2. I cant see ANY way to make the sequencer follow the song

3. the control area below the sequencer shows VELOCITY... anything else?... how would you edit controllers?

4. snap on the sequencer... cant find any key combination that allows fine adjustments of the midi note, only seems to snap to the default grid (1/4, 16ths etc) so how would you slip notes along a bit or back a bit?

I feel you have a potentialy great product, CPU use is negligable (IF the CPU-USE display is accurate)... Dancetech would plug it, IF it was more logical in layout

however, the constant locking-up of the test PC isnt good... and before you come back with complaints about my test pc... it runs EVERY OTHER PROGRAMME fine.

The correct drivers ARE assigned in the control-panel, but still it locks the PC... even when DREAMER is NOT running (XP PRO), trying to switch to the already open help file before an IE window was fully loaded locked the whole PC... You might say... "Well dont switch screens while IE is loading... ok, that's something to say, but it shouldnt lock up totaly a win xp pro box.. NOTHING I've ever encountered locks a win xp computer - and that's with using a miriad of programmes, music & otherwise, across 5 XP MACHINES on our network running for over a year.

I'd like to see more clarity in the programme, Using patching doesnt show what's happening, you just seem to end up with a flashing output socket but there's no proper visual cue to show what's happening

i also think the test demo file which opens is too big, and it's appaling music which will definately make the s/w look bad because the music it emits is truly terrible.

I think it should open with a decent bit of techno or whatever with just ONE drumbox, ONE synth & ONE sampler - one of each basic item.. clear and easy to follow.

does that all sound fair to you?

btw... other softs like PROJECT5 etc also need time to get to know, so these criticism's arent getting at DREAMER... BUT I've been doing this for years, and every programme I try, I can always get the basic's working & figured out without a manual if it's any good... I never found a proggy I couldnt 'work' basicaly within an hour, all down apart from the more 'in-depth' bits... but this evaluation time-out is a BIG block to that.

In my case I can never get anywhere with DREAMER before it kills my test PC... so it's impossible to learn.. I ALWAYS get a dead pc within 3 or 4 minutes of booting DREAMER, so I'm getting nowhere with it fast!

Message 35/41             14-Aug-03  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: reason beware

k

well, I seem to have found the issue....

again it locked the pc.... I had DREAMER open, but NOT running - with just a single synth in the rack & nothing else.

I clicked and a drop-down menu appeared (the one for note commands on the synth's sequencer grid)

a phone call came in and I switched to Windows NOTEPAD which was minimised on the toolbar.... as i clicked on notepad on the taskbar, the menu in dreamer had not retracted, and it locked up the pc

so it seems, DREAMER wont 'let go' of the computer, and if you try to do anything while DREAMER is in the middle of ANY function (even closing a pop-up menu) it will lock the machine and wont 'let go'

any idea's why?

I've had 8 hard-boot's already this morning - I opened DREAMER 8 times and within 3-4 minutes EACH TIME, ended up hard-re-booting the PC with the restart button

Message 36/41             14-Aug-03  @  04:47 PM   -   RE: reason beware

Broken Silence

Ultrano-

^^those are some great suggestions from K- don't see them as an attack, they really can help your proggie (never tried it, but it seems pretty cool).

Message 37/41             15-Aug-03  @  02:02 AM   -   RE: reason beware

k

what's cheezing me off is I cant spend more then 3 minutes with the blasted s/w before it kills my computer!

Message 38/41             15-Aug-03  @  12:24 PM   -   RE: reason beware

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

..and it seems like ultrano has had enough of responding to all this useful feedback...

Best of luck to you mate..

Message 39/41             16-Aug-03  @  11:26 AM   -   RE: reason beware

k

well mebbe he's on holiday (it is that time of year) - the mixer came now with the latest version... But i cvannot figure out why it's freezing like that - I'll try it on another pc mebbe? - at the moment it's freezing an athlon 1200 with XP Pro & a Gigastation asio2 driver card which works ok with other s/w's... I could try it on the 2ghz athlon with staudio card... but it does this freeze even if not running/playing as noted above. It seems to be locking the bus if it has ANY slight function uncompleted even graphic's functions, before you click anything else... even another part/function of the s/w itself...

Message 40/41             29-Aug-03  @  04:00 PM   -   RE: reason beware

Dual Substance

Reason sounds like a fricken kazoo anyhow, who'd want to model anything after it? Make good use of your ideas and produce new VSTi's.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 41 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)