aaa The Cheapskate post. - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: The Cheapskate post.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 26-May-06  @  04:01 AM   -   The Cheapskate post.

Lloyd Duddley

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Got to record a band on on Monday (My first session - wehey). Problem is that I dont have much experience with mixing, therefore would anybody here be willing to mix it for an e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y small fee or maybe even...come on.. say it...No I cant...... COME ONNNN....OK..... FREEEEEE. It's gonna be two tracks but I'm confident that u guys could get better results in 5 minutes than I could in a whole day. Anyway sorry if I am taking the piss but u dont ask u dont get. Many Menny Mene, menie thanks anyway

Lloyd

P.S Feel free to hurl student abuse at me

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 41/58             06-Jun-06  @  12:40 PM   -   RE: The Cheapskate post.

k

Link?:  Link

sheesh, but it's mebbe relevent to Lloyd i think, of course we could just go on posting monosylabic grunts

"Yo!"

"Sup?"

"etc"

zzzzzzzz - what happened to actual discussion beyond one liners?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 42/58             06-Jun-06  @  12:45 PM   -   RE: The Cheapskate post.

beds

Link?: Link

dunno

Message 43/58             06-Jun-06  @  01:28 PM   -   RE: The Cheapskate post.

k

hey Lloyd, I got one file sent which was a raw unprocessed ruff mix, tbh the playing aint great, also I saw the mic list which was decent even if i'd have chosen different mics myself, and therefore the snare musthave been quite crappy by the sound of it... tbh not great playing either, the timing is well scrappy, but that can be fixed of course... so are we getting the multitrack individual files?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 44/58             06-Jun-06  @  06:41 PM   -   RE: The Cheapskate post.

groovemonkey

So,

are you going to make the files available for those of us who are willing to mix? What's the delay?

G

Message 45/58             06-Jun-06  @  06:58 PM   -   RE: The Cheapskate post.

Influx

awww shucks k you KNOW I was just ribbing you. discussion? you wrote a NOVEL up there.

lloyd...kilo pointed out what I guess I was getting at. The way things are going is NOT a good way. Not in music production, and not in life/society in general. Everyone wants quick fixes, and wants to get right to the finished product.

hey k...if you ran that school with a 2 track and some cans, Id sign up right away! would be fun!

Message 46/58             06-Jun-06  @  07:38 PM   -   RE: The Cheapskate post.

milan

christ k!!! i was well determined to read all of that in one go but had to quit halfway thru. oh well, something for the evening then  

anyway... i DID do 1/4" tape for for first few months of my education heheheh

Message 47/58             07-Jun-06  @  01:54 AM   -   RE: The Cheapskate post.

Musineer Productions

And me.

Tascam 4-track cassette 20 yrs ago, then a Mirage sampler...deckchairs for kicks, bash-hat visors for snares, hot-knives for hi hats (jumpers for goalposts?)

I remember staying up all night learning how to lace-up a 24-track Otari from a book because I'd suggested I could do it to get a job at Berwick Street Studios. (so sympathies Lloyd, though I did get the job)

Then I learnt to calibrate them. 15 fiddly little screws per track. Anything to get access to the gear during downtime. The first time I tried to set up the studio I turned up the master fader and created a howling feedback. The owner just unplugged everything and told me to start again. I still think he was a bit of a shit for not explaining the correct proceedure to me but I do now get his point.

Hell, it's only 4 yrs since I packed the Atari away and went for the PC!

And you've got a point K. I've just ended four years as a music & Audio teacher for an FE college. I remember being reprimanded with my colleague because a student had achieved a distinction in his ABRSM grade! The 'head of learning' said we were wasting resources as we could have got two students to merely pass in the same time! Quality is determined by the number of accreditations passed, not by any wishy-washy liberal pinko 'depth of learning' malarkey. Evaluating exam passes is easy, they just need counting up. Evaluating the creative process is a little harder, so it's best just to ignore it.

Anyone remember Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? I mentioned that book to my CirtEd tutor during a discussion about quality and I thought he was going to kiss me! The look of joy and pity in his eyes was unsettling.

Modern education is a business, customers (not students) attend the required number of days and submitt the required number of assignments and the college will bend over backwards to award the qualification because they get money for the number passed.

Anyway, I'm not interested in mixing your stuff Lloyd, but I am now curious to hear the results...

Message 48/58             07-Jun-06  @  09:31 AM   -   RE: The Cheapskate post.

Moujik

It's getting like Dead Poets Society in here

Message 49/58             07-Jun-06  @  12:10 PM   -   RE: The Cheapskate post.

k

aww......

anyways i guess we'll have to do some videos on this.... *sigh*

btw, our resident loony was sectioned yesterday!!... I went out for a pint to celebrate cos it's on the cards he's going to be booted out permenently

he made the fatal mistake that he started to also agress & harrass the new couple downstairs, he spent the afternoon on the day before yesterday shouting stuff about her baby thru the corridors outside her door while the husband was at work... The days before he was out in the hallways in the middle of the night screaming that he was going to pour boiling water on people & cut peoples throats etc, kinda scary if you live next door with a new born baby and the only way in or out of your place is to walk thru a dead-end lower-stairwell area at the bottom of 8 steps with no quick way out with a pram containing a newly born baby. Poor woman was distraught and her hubby had to come home from work early cos she was so shaky.

Apparentlly, it was quite a picture, i wish i could have it on video - They called the old bill who turned up later in the evening (they had already had been round a few days before when he was out screeching in the corridors at 3 in the morning), so, imagine the scene... their front-door and the llony's front door are like 1 ft apart at the bottom of this stairwell.... the Police are inside the couple's flat listening to some audio recordings of the guy harrasing & threatening the wife that afternoon... the loony guy next door not knowing the Police were in the next door flat comes out into the hall and starts screaming threats... suddenly the next door flat door opens, 2 Police jump out and handcuff him... lol, I dearly wish i'd seen that!, lol

For those who dont know, if you wonder why DT slipped since 2001 in terms of adding articles etc, that's when this guy moved in, and trust me, it's been a fucking massive nightmare... I had to sleep away from the flat on an average 3-4 night PER WEEK for the frst year, and it's gone on unabated since then.. they keep carting the guy away but the fucking social workers keep letting him back out again

It's been a massive problem getting work done for the last 5 years. You want to do video's? or write articles etc for the site?... oh right, no!!, cos there's fucking music and shouting blasting thru the walls and corridors all the time.

I've had so many standoff's with the guy cos everyone else is shit scared of him, I even flipped out one night and chased the bastard down the road to kick his fucking teeth in. Same old shit, he's shouting and threatening me outside in the street when I'm coming home, and I'd had a few pints & just lost it and went for him, he ran away of course & managed to dodge thru an open security door which self-locked behind him and by the time I got me keys out he'd scuttled into his flat and locked himself in

Anyways now we're preparing a joint legal action againts the council, social services, the landlords and the west london mental health trust... bunch of cunts the lot of them. Worst of all and most unbeleiveably we discovered during some joint digging recently that this guy did the exact same thing in the previous tenancy across the courtyard in the other block, the neighbours threatened to kill him & beat the shit out of him, and the fucking council moved him in here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fucking social workers man, i'd round the bastards all up and throw them in a special estate with only mental-case aggro chavs as neighbours.. see how they like it!, bunch of hand-wringing liberal tossers who have no concept of reality.

Anyways, mebbe now, we can get back to reality, the old bill called up the neighbours and said they want to push for him to be booted out permenently. However, what we're concerned aboiut is that the sneaky social workers will do the same again and put him somewhere else to destroy a whole new bunch of people's lives - In this block alone one person's had to move out of their home, 2 people have lost their jobs and 2 are on medication.

thanks social workers, good job! and it's only cost the taxpayer around a 1/2 million quid in legal fee's, council and health trust time, social security payments, admin costs etc etc over more than 5 flipping years of this

here's an example of the wanker in action at 3am & in the afternoon about the baby:

mad bloke remix

Message 50/58             07-Jun-06  @  12:38 PM   -   RE: The Cheapskate post.

beds

poor bastard.

mental hospitals used to be full of people like him.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 58 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)