aaa ESI-32 quickie - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: ESI-32 quickie

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             22-Sep-98  @  07:51 PM   -   ESI-32 quickie

weasel

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Finally got me one of these...(yes!)
It's got OS 3.00 on it, is there a big difference with 3.02? Worth $99?
Also, how do I listen in real time to what's coming through the sample input? I can hear the sample once I've sampled, but not the source before hand...
Kilo this is a great site, don't give up... and count me in for the $20. Most my gear purchases, in fact all of them, have been incited from opinions and comments in dancetech.... Thanks again

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             23-Sep-98  @  09:43 PM   -   RE: ESI-32 quickie

Purple Haze

Press 'sample management', '5' (sample setup), press right 3 times to go to the last screen, turn 'monitor through while sampling' on. That should do it.

I usually monitor my source beforehand using the first page in option 5 (sample setup) .

If you've got some sounds coming from a synth or whatever that you want to loop: put the threshold real low, mute the parts just before the ones you want to sample in your sequencer, use sample management option 7 (arm sampling), and start your sequencer. The esi will start sampling as soon as your sound begins, no need to trim the beginning of the sample, just put it in a preset and of you go. You can play it together in your sequencer with the original source to check if the timing is correct. Once you get the hang of it it's a very fast way to put some synth parts or something else in the sampler so your synth or whatever is free again, and you don't need to waste much time trimming the sample and stuff.
Oh yeah, and put effects and eq on it through your mixer beforehand, so you might be able to free up an effect device and also put more than one of those sampled loops on the same (dry, un-eq'ed) out.

Might all be fucking obvious, but when I noticed how good this 'threshold' thing worked, was a big step forward in my creative outbursts. Before I did this I used to sample enough, send it through scsi to soundforge, trim it and send it back to the esi. It was too much hassle imho.

Errm... if this wasn't clear, just ask...

Message 3/10             24-Sep-98  @  12:45 AM   -   RE: ESI-32 quickie

weasel

Thanks Purple Haze, I'll try it when I get home... what confused me at first was that my source
(CD player) was playing through the main outs, but not the headphone output...other than
that this sampler is really well thought out, great to use I must say....
Anyone know about the OS (3.00 vs 3.02)?

Message 4/10             26-Sep-98  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: ESI-32 quickie

self_osc

I donŽt know the 3.0 version but if you say the 3.02 is the one who cost $99 from E-Mu IŽll say that this is a VERY BIG upgread OS. Do You like filters, right? I think so since You`re writing here. Just let me say that the new OS put abot 17 new filter types into your ESI32! and they`re real-time, dynamic filters, not a DSP function.
Other new features includes: support for larger hard drives (up to 4 GB), better support for Iomega products like Zip and Jaz drives, and an all new digital harmonic enhancer. The digital sonic enhancer is a function that has been added to the Digital Processing menu. It adds brilliance and 'cut' to a sample, making it stand out in the mix. The new filters, from the Orbit sound module, include: two High Pass, three Band Pass,three new Low Pass filters, a Flanger, three Swept filters, three Phasers, two Vocal filters, and the famous Bottom Feeder.
If You still doubt about to purchase this GREAT OS You`re mad, man! I don`t know about any product that was been upgreading that way! and check the Calamari board too at www.emu.com.

Dan

Message 5/10             27-Sep-98  @  01:57 AM   -   RE: ESI-32 quickie

Purple Haze

Well, if you've allready got 3.0 then I don't think it would be worth the $99 for 3.02. I guess the only difference between 3.02 and 3.0 would be some bug fixes (so ethically they should provide the upgrade for free if you've got 3.0), but no new features or anything.
I've got 3.01 myself, and only found 2 bugs so far, nothing serious; nothing that crashes the machine.

Message 6/10             27-Sep-98  @  04:53 AM   -   RE: ESI-32 quickie

buggo

i've been wondering...what do these things generally sell for on the used market? haven't seen any used yet so i'm curious.

Message 7/10             27-Sep-98  @  10:19 AM   -   RE: ESI-32 quickie

Purple Haze

In Belgium I've seen a 2nd hand esi with 16megs for 35000 Belgian Francs ( that's about 550 uk pounds), that was in a 2nd hand store though, so not directly from an individual.

Message 8/10             27-Sep-98  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: ESI-32 quickie

weasel

Thanks for the comments... I'm about to buy a ZIP drive, and I've heard people having some problems with the ESi, that's why I was wondering if there were any improvements from 3.00 to 3.02...
About the prices, I found this puppy for $750 fully expanded (turbo board, SCSI, 32MB)... others
I was looking into were $850 (same specs), or $650 (32MB, SCSI, no turbo board)...
It's a great sampler though, only negative is that it doesn't do internal resampling...oh, well..

Message 9/10             28-Sep-98  @  12:17 AM   -   RE: ESI-32 quickie

Purple Haze

Fuck... $750 with turbo, scsi and 32 megs. I hope that was 2nd hand, otherwise I'm moving to the us. I've got os 3.01, no problemo with the zip drive. I used to have 2.something (2.10 I think), mucho problemo with zip drive.
Also, try to avoid the zip drives that you can attach both to a parallel or scsi port. I don't think I ever heard of anyone who was able to get them to work with their esi.

Message 10/10             28-Sep-98  @  10:33 AM   -   RE: ESI-32 quickie

private ryan

Have anyone else had a problem with their esi in the use of sample placement? I set the emu to record over 12 keys as I am sampling a bass note. All works fine and it places it over the 12 keys. If I then set it to record on white keys only (for a drum loop etc) then it still records the sample over 12 keys. Do i need to do something else before changing the placement setting?
Help me out here!!

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)