aaa Last of the Mohicans - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Last of the Mohicans

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             07-Sep-98  @  06:38 AM   -   Last of the Mohicans

Randy

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Has anyone saw this movie, heard the soundtrack.
I know it ain't dance music. but..
When someone does a film soundtrack like that do they use a real orchestra
or do they use synths. Cuz I wanna know what that cat used to make that
soundtrack, because its raw as hell.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             07-Sep-98  @  12:44 PM   -   RE: Last of the Mohicans

replica

my missus thinks so as well, sorry can't help you though.
Try running a web search using the film name.

Message 3/10             07-Sep-98  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: Last of the Mohicans

influx

Link?:  Link

ask Hilevelt-he does some of that, and knows plenty more who do it for a living. I think if the budget is big enough theyll use full blown orchestras, otherwise, I think it may just be samplers and synths, etc. Dont know about that specific flick, tho...

Message 4/10             07-Sep-98  @  10:09 PM   -   RE: Last of the Mohicans

buggo

that soundtrack fuckin rocks...I don't see any way it would be possible to get that shit done with electronic instruments...sometimes you just gotta have the real deal...

Message 5/10             08-Sep-98  @  05:11 PM   -   RE: Last of the Mohicans

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Well, I haven't heard that soundtrack, but if there are orchestral sounds involved in a big-budget flick like that, real players are definitely involved.

Movies are generally either scored w/ a full 100-piece orchestra or else a small 30-piece w/ synths used to fill in the gaps. I've been to recordings where they had the full 100-piece AND synths, but in such cases the synths were used for effects and had NOTHING to do w/ the orchestra. Most directors are too pussy to go for a full Vangelis-type synth score, plus w/ movies costing up to $200 million to make (Titanic), nobody's going to skimp on the music.

Synth strings actually sound nice when used in the background, especially on cellos and basses (I'm talking about a pro sampler w/ something like the miroslav orchestral library, not presets from a module). But it takes a good composer w/ experience to make it work (I couldn't do it, even after years of theory, counterpoint, and orchestration classes (sigh)).

Message 6/10             09-Sep-98  @  12:55 PM   -   RE: Last of the Mohicans

Jock

Ok then, what about Fisting Cheerleaders ? Thats done with a Casio MT-68. I thought the soundtrack was both inspiring and did not stray from the theme of the movie.

On the other hand Tangerine Dream had the knack for producing a good soundtrack. (Flashpoint, Near Dark, Shy People, Risky Business, Streethawk, Sorcerer, Legend....)

Message 7/10             10-Sep-98  @  02:03 AM   -   RE: Last of the Mohicans

noteven

jock, you fuckin rule, thats the funniest shit i ever heard.

out...

Message 8/10             10-Sep-98  @  03:10 AM   -   RE: Last of the Mohicans

kilo

apparently the largest orchestra used for a current TV show theme, is for the Simpsons

Message 9/10             10-Sep-98  @  05:19 AM   -   RE: Last of the Mohicans

buggo

good, that show deserves it!! the funniest on TV i say, nothing but the best...:-)

by the way, i (used to) watch the simpsons at work while i looked after ze kiddies, but now i have to quit!! No more gear for buggo...*sniff*...they aren't getting any more funding from the state and so they can't pay me any more....GRR...and i don't have a car so i can't work anywhere else...

Message 10/10             10-Sep-98  @  12:57 PM   -   RE: Last of the Mohicans

Jock

Did you see that documentary on the Simpsons and it showed you the orchestra recording an episode ? Pretty impressive.

Hey Buggo you can buy my car, its going dirt cheap. Complete with a myriad of jizz stains on the back seat. In fact that should hike the price up a bit.

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)