aaa Speaking of programming.. (don't kill me) - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Speaking of programming.. (don't kill me)

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             14-Sep-98  @  08:38 PM   -   Speaking of programming.. (don't kill me)

Kelaperse

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

What programming languages are used in creation of music programs? I

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             15-Sep-98  @  04:07 AM   -   RE: Speaking of programming.. (don't kill me)

gslave

What kind of music programs? Almost anything really... assembler, C++, VB, Delphi.. just guessing though..

Message 3/10             15-Sep-98  @  01:46 PM   -   RE: Speaking of programming.. (don't kill me)

99devils

You're right in assuming that most any language can be used to write music programs, but I would have to say that most are done using C and assembler for speed considerations.

-Craig

Message 4/10             15-Sep-98  @  02:30 PM   -   RE: Speaking of programming.. (don't kill me)

Oooh mummy! Look at the Geeks!

Quiet Timothy!! They can't help it.

Message 5/10             15-Sep-98  @  02:50 PM   -   RE: Speaking of programming.. (don't kill me)

xoxos

Link?:  Link

anyone want to start a forum on remaining ungeeklike while still spending any worthwhile time programming music? damn those fancy musicians and their complicated shoes.

ugh... frame emaciating.. need glasses.. wardrobe.. developing... izods! aargh!

xoxos.

Message 6/10             15-Sep-98  @  03:40 PM   -   RE: Speaking of programming.. (don't kill me)

Richie

Ok I'm sorry, just my sad little joke...

Ooh mummy look at the sad bastard.

Quiet Timothy, he's just pathetic.

etc, etc ,etc

If it's any consolation, I once had a discussion with someone about 'my favorite assembler instruction'. Well you don't get mutch geekier than that!

Message 7/10             15-Sep-98  @  03:50 PM   -   RE: Speaking of programming.. (don't kill me)

Rodsta

I think the main real-time programs like audio sequencers and MIDI+audio sequencers and soft synths are done in C/C++, and in the windows world use some hand-written assembler in key areas to get the necessary speed.

I'd venture that you could do the same in Delphi (compiled Delphi is often as fast as compiled Borland C++, they use the same back end code generator) with some assembler routines, but since Delphi is fairly new and windows only, and a lot of the apps are ported from other platforms, nobody would have used it.

I know that some non-real time proggies such as patch editors and non-realtime soft synths and sound creation proggies are definitely done in Delphi or even VB.

Message 8/10             15-Sep-98  @  08:09 PM   -   RE: Speaking of programming.. (don't kill me)

rouge

KILL HIM!!! KILL HIM!!!!!
No, not really - I have come to the conclusion that programming is in fact a creative art-form.

Message 9/10             15-Sep-98  @  10:30 PM   -   RE: Speaking of programming.. (don't kill me)

It could be but usually it is not, resulting in things like ms windows and 90% of todays 'advanced, user friendly' shit out there.

Message 10/10             16-Sep-98  @  02:06 AM   -   RE: Speaking of programming.. (don't kill me)

xoxos

Link?:  Link

well then there's a difference between self-interest programming, synergetic programming (which is the same as the first???...) and working a market. just blowing air.
personally i don't have a clue; the only language i know is basic. i once wrote a 128 k program that wrote sequences, arrangements and lyrics for goofy little pop songs (quite a bit of fun. will have to redo it now that i have some quality sounds.) but for product? aha! you could ask mr. arai (i think that's how you spell it.) anyway. go to http://www.excla.com and leave a message. he's japanese, in japan, but a friendly, knowledgeable and helpful sort who makes his living off writing sound software. he was working on a voicesynth for korg in addition to the utilities downloadable from his page.
oh yes... and like nerds need anyone to defend them!

:-)
xoxos. (richie-thanks for the tip on making waves.)

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)