aaa MPC or standard sampler - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: MPC or standard sampler

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             03-Sep-98  @  06:37 AM   -   MPC or dedicated sampler

bhsmith23

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Current set is 2 Juno 106, SH101, Moog Prodigy modified, Kawai SX240, ARp 0dyessy, and DR660 plus mixer and effects. Also just got a computer to do sequencing and digital audio. My question is I need to get a sampler really bad. I'm not to educated on sampling. I want to get sometime that doesn't have alot of bugs and shit. And also want to take my stuff live. I know where I can get an MPC60II for $700 but am worried that it doesn't have enough memory and editing live. Is the MPC60II better than the MPC2000? I know the MPC3000 kicks ass but its too much money. Or should I just get a dedicated sampler and separate sequencer(MMT-8). I guess the main factor is I need a pretty long sampling time to sampler ARP Odyessy modulation(most stuff would be around 4 seconds+). I basically have around $1000.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             03-Sep-98  @  09:00 AM   -   RE: MPC or standard sampler

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

Wasn't the MPC60 just a sequencer? If so, don't get it.. Unless you're looking for live hardware sequencing.. If you've got that kind of budget... $1000 US or UK? You could pick up a used ESI32 for about 400 - 500 bucks american.. Trickiest part will be finding 30 pin SIMMs for memory expansion.. That'll give you time.. How much are S2000s going for these days? And how upgradeable is the memory? El Cheapo sampler purchase would be the Emax, but that won't give you the time you want.. But for under $1000 US dollars, the used sampler market is ripe for tha pickins... There's plenty of samplers out there that'll give you what you need.. Just keep lookin in used shops, read up on Synthzone, other web sources of information, and try to paint a picture of which modules have what you need...

Message 3/10             03-Sep-98  @  01:43 PM   -   !!!

skul

where the fuck can you get an MPC60II for $700?!! seriously, if it's for real let me know and i'll nab it for myself. it's not just a sequencer - it's a "sampling drum machine". essentially it's a really kick ass sequencer with sampling ability - albeit limited. mostly for sampling drum sounds. lacking in "standard" sampler type functions. but if you need a live sequencer, it'll do quite nicely. not sure about how much sampling time you can get out of it... how much RAM does it got?

Message 4/10             04-Sep-98  @  05:12 AM   -   RE: MPC or standard sampler

buggo

I've used the mpc60 and i love it...it's way better than the 2000...but i would go for the 2000 simply because the 60 doesn't have a lot of ram (13 sec worth!! you can double it with the OS upgrade from Linn, but...) and it has some fairly bad, if i recall correctly, preset drum sounds (32 or 64 i think.)

the 2000 is easily expandable, widely supported, plus they just came out with a new OS (1.7) that's supposed to be really good.

Message 5/10             04-Sep-98  @  12:32 PM   -   RE: MPC or standard sampler

kilo

..... great as they are (the mpc's) for drums, loops, and sequencer in one, they are not really proper samplers beyond that.... like layering, keymapping etc.... i'd go for an akai s2000 with scsi and the seperate out unit included..... akai are now selling the s2000 with these extras free in the price, which in the uk has fallen to around 850 new !!...so s/h they are down in the 600's or less now..... now that is a bargain of the month !!...... a proper fully functional sampler like that, will allow you to have your drums and loops, but also to go further in depth... if you are lucky, maybe you'll see an s3000 for cheap s/hand..... but if seperate outs are important (and thay may well be for gigs... and sperate outs are always the best in all cases).... the a3000 will need to have them..... the akai now gets you 8 + stereo out of the box... pretty good..... i reckon it cant be beat for price right now....although the a3000 and samplers higher up the price range like the emu units have greater fx and synthesis facilitiers.... the akai has filters and all that tho.... they are pretty damned good .....you can add an optional extra filter board and extra fx board to the akai if you really need to in the future...

Message 6/10             04-Sep-98  @  10:27 PM   -   RE: MPC or standard sampler

Purple Haze

I've seen adverts in a UK magazine (sound on sound I think) for an s3000xl for 895 pound, new ! And it comes with scsi and 8 extra outs. A friend of mine used to have an s2000, and the little screen made it a bitch to edit. He sold it and bought an s3000xl and suddenly started using his sampler much more, just because it was so much more easier to edit with the bigger screen.
The eb16 fx board is quite good too imho.
But then, the 2.0 os is quite buggy (don't know about the previous 1.5) and mesa (the program to edit the akai with your pc or mac) is supposedly even more buggy, and if there's one thing I absolutely hate it's a stand-alone hardware unit having obvious bugs in it, there's really no excuse for it.

Message 7/10             05-Sep-98  @  04:50 AM   -   RE: MPC or standard sampler

Yes there is an ad in the newspaper for the MPC60II. Thanks alot for all the info. I think I might go with a dedicated sampler a maybe an Akai because I want filters to screw with sounds. Want sampler has the best filters.

Message 8/10             07-Sep-98  @  03:22 PM   -   RE: MPC or standard sampler

JAWA

ooooh....... can of worms mate....... here we go......

i'm gonna stick me neck out and say....... Emu esi4000.... for the money saw one s/h for 795 ukp and that was with the latest os...... you get shitloads and those z-plane ones that sound shit until somebody who knows how to use them shows you how they work and then you realise they're amazing...... i heard one back to back against the A3000 and sorry everybody great as the yammy is i prefered the esi4000...... better editing as well and you get that transform multiply thing on the emu oh and the library the library oooohhh...... okay so you don't get the loop divide stuff but i think that the emu works with recycle?..... negatives? you don't get effex as standard on the esi..... and for some that could be a big neg...... and you also don't get wav. or aiff. file compatibilty....... go ahead and flame me if you like but i don't care, its all down to what you can work better with and for me the emu was best...... you hear me ..... i don't care!!!!!  )))

Message 9/10             07-Sep-98  @  04:09 PM   -   RE: MPC or standard sampler

kilo

how about an old roland s760.... dont hear too much about them they tend to be overlooked, goes to 32mb i 'm sure, seperate outs available, and very good synthesis, not in the emu's ball park but really, depends what you want from a filter, cos i personally dont belive that filters with samples can be that smooth beyond a point if your talking about live filter manipulation.... however if you're talking creative sound making yes they do matter i guess....

well you've got a really nice setup there.... i know the akai is good, i know one guy who had the yammy, but changed it for the s2000, cos he liked akai working method better... he says faster, although i know him, and he's very impatient...... the S2000 gets you lotsa outs and scsi real cheap new now... but not a wacking great memory tho.... but what the yammy has going for it is... resampling with fx.. (and very good fx too)..... very nice filters and eq, although lets assume they are not as in-depth or arcane as the emu's... but.... the yammy gets alot of sample time at 128mb.... and the fx & eq means it doesnt really need seperate outs... plus it'll live with your pc well, reading wav's...and... it'll play midifiles from it's disk drive live...which may be a bonus...although i dunno if it'll play'em, and transmit the data out of it's midi out socket at the same time... anyone??...... oh yes... and the yamaha reads akai files , but again, i dunno if that is only from cdrom, or from floppy too....

on another note, the 3000 series are getting sold off well cheap now as someone noted.... lotso outs and that.... again not a wacking memory.... but they appear well cheap.... i guess the thing is the s2000 is gonna be 850 (UK) or less new with 8 outs and scsi.... and s/h cheaper still, whereas the yammy is still up by the thousand mark right ?...... could also be a deciding factor... and there is the extra filter baord for the akai as well to add a greater compliment of filters....

Message 10/10             07-Sep-98  @  04:20 PM   -   RE: MPC or standard sampler

kilo

actually just thinking about it.... apart from the 'dance' units... it's a fair while since we saw a new 'proper' sampler from roland.... maybe they'll blast on the scene soon with a new mega killer cheap unit....?
doubt it tho... they seem to be strickly stuck in retro dance-land.... anyways, the 760 750 & 770 are not ever mentioned here hardly, but bloody good units they are....

by the way also... i'm gonna flog one of those lynex units if anyone wants a real excellent loop player on a very tight budget, and has an old atari lying around,,,, it connects to the atari, samples at 50k, with digital anti-alaising filters.... 64 samples in memory max, all functions on-screen, 8 outs and stereo, rack mount, works as a desktop accessory with c-lab creator/notator on the atari, or with pro-24 ... or on a 4mb atari, it will reside as a desktop accessory with cubase, so you flip from sampler to sequencer from the menu bar...... all the processing is internal, and saves loads to the atari disk drive... i dont want it now... (i'm keeping the other, i'd never get rid of both as the sound is so hard for loops,... especially good at getting drum box loops or cd loops to sound like old vinyl).... so it's a steal at 180 quid.... plays loops and samples all day long... and always samples at 50k regardless of playback rate with reatime downsampling thru the very expensive realtime anti-alaising filters... you can audition 'Off-tape' so to speak, reduce ing the playback rate to get more meory, and hear how the sample will sound as you step down the rates.....

originally retailed at 2K ...used by vangelis etc before the s1000 came out... first production 16 bit sampler.... could be a good cheap loop player if you got an old 520 lying about redundant....

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)